Returning to riding after heart angioplasty and stent

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by MotorcycleWriter, Aug 5, 2018.

1. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    <quote>
    Don't be in a hurry. It takes at least a week before you don't feel like you've been run over by a truck.
    </quote>

Depends, I was fine the next day. I gave them the two weeks they asked out of respect for the effort that had gone in to saving my miserable hide but I was annoying everyone by jogging around death row the next day.

I like riding bikes and if that kills me, so be it.
    sandsman likes this.
  2. baka1969

baka1969 Veteran Bubblehead

Oddometer:
    I wish my recovery was going nearly as quickly.

Compared to 9 years ago when I had my first heart attack and stents, it's taking me much longer this time.
  3. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    Wow, this has been a week.....3 bypasses and heart valve repair. Very sore from the surgery though.
    Bill 310, Mouse and baka1969 like this.
  4. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    June about 10 years ago I had a lowside at a track day, hit the cylinder head too hard on the pavement and it levered the tires up off the pavement. Got my bell rung pretty good and broke my shoulder. EMT gets me in the wagon and starts asking questions ... any recent medical history? Well I had open heart surgery in December if that counts I say. His shocked look was a sight to see LOL.

You'll be fine.

The biggest WOAH was the first time I sneezed ... knocked me right off the couch.
    baka1969, Berchunis and sandsman like this.
  5. Berchunis

Berchunis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's why they give you the "heart pillow". I still have mine, with dozens of signed Hospital staff messages written on it.
    baka1969 likes this.
  6. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    never heard of a heart pillow ... time for google

this??

deleted the pic it was too large and didn't pertain
  7. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s a heart shapped pillow with the name of your hospital or cardiology group on oneside amd a map of the heart and vessles on the other. You use it for sternum support when you sneeze or cough. It’s necessary for the first month or so past open heart surg.
    baka1969 and Berchunis like this.
  8. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
  9. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    Berchunis likes this.
  10. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    yeah I can see that I used to grab one when I felt a sneeze coming on .. once was enough
  11. sandsman

Oddometer:
    You must be talking about this pillow, still hurts though.... and it will for quite some time.

jacks heart.jpg
    baka1969 likes this.
  12. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    You’re only a week post-op, it will get better. After 60 days or so it’ll get where you can just use hand pressure. After 90-100 days it’ll remind you something happened. But you shouldn’t be going out of your way to react to it.
    Still on the narc’s? Advil works wonders.
  13. sandsman

Oddometer:
    Yes, still on the narcs. I can tell you when I've waited a little too long.
  14. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    I looked back in the thread. You’re on day 3 today. Take it easy and heal, don’t be in a hurry and let other people help you.
  15. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    two weeks after I was showing my son how to do some concrete work in the basement, just a bit but it was tough ... boy I'm stubborn.

About three weeks in I started to get bad back pain, put up with that for a week or so and finally went to the hospital where they stuck a biiiig needle in my back and took a couple of liters of red foamy fluid out.
  16. baka1969

baka1969 Veteran Bubblehead

Oddometer:
    Heal up! After almost 7 weeks after my surgery, I'm just now able to cough and sneeze without the "whoa crap" moments. lol

I am sitting in the waiting room waiting for my echo cardiogram now. Then off to the cardiologist! Yipee!

Good luck!
    sandsman and Dan Alexander like this.
  17. TRoberts

TRoberts Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Best wishes to all of you in your recovery. I had OHS on February 10, 2016 to have a mechanical mitral valve installed (a lovely carbon-titanium farkle). I waited 6 weeks before driving as per doctor's orders. On day 50 after surgery I was able to do 100kms on the motorcycle as the weather was decent enough and 130 days after surgery I was ripping up the Kancamagus on a two week trip feeling happy to be alive. The Warfarin is no treat but self testing gives me the freedom to travel without much worries. I've also taken to wearing an air bag vest when riding. We don't have any deer where I live and I'd like to reduce the risk as much as I reasonably can. I hope I have many many more miles ahead of me.
    sandsman and Berchunis like this.
  18. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. sandsman

Oddometer:
    Well, little setback yesterday. I had a very fast heart rate and ended up at the local ER. I am now home, I went into AFIb for a while finally a change in meds.5 minutes later back to normal. It wasn't my idea of a stellar way to spend my Tuesday evening.
    Berchunis likes this.
  20. TRoberts

TRoberts Adventurer

Oddometer:
    AFib is no fun at all. You will probably end up on a beta blocker like Metoprolol which is also not fun but better than AFib and you may only be on it for a few months. Don't be discouraged.