Returning to riding after heart angioplasty and stent

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by MotorcycleWriter, Aug 5, 2018.

1. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    Just an update on my heart surgery. I had the heart bypass surgery on Oct 19th. I awoke about 8 hrs after the surgery started in recovery with all kinds of tubes hanging out practically every orifice in my body. Main thing that was giving me the most discomfort was the breathing tubes down my throat. That's not what you want to wake up to, trust me on that. They got the tubes out of my throat in short order and I got moved to CCU/ICU for about a day. They get you up right away, no rest for the weary. Next day I have a room over on the cardiac hall, and they said I was due a little walk. So I blew them all away, I walked from my ICU room all the way to the cardiac hall, they said no-one has ever done that. It hasn't all been easy, 2nd night on cardiac hall, we realized Tramadol gives me crazy hallucinations, I swear I thought I had been in a big truck wreck and I was in St Louis. And there was a baby somewhere that I couldn't find. I'm an ex-trucker, where all that came from, who knows. I spent a total of 7 days in the hospital. Coughing kills your soul. I have a pillow that they gave me to hug. So a few days later, I end up back at our local hospital with a high heart rate, not uncommon with this type of surgery, just a overnight stay, a med added. I have been feeling better each day. I had a follow=up with the surgeon's office today, they don't need to see me anymore, and I was released to drive a car...…..maybe the moto in about another 4 weeks depending on how I feel. I've lost about 30 lbs and shooting for about another 15-18 lbs, blood sugar has almost returned to perfect levels. Looks like I'll live to ride again!

Jack in Hospital.jpg Jack on Porch.jpg
    TRoberts likes this.
  3. Berchunis

Berchunis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I see the leg scars where they removed veins for the bypass work.

Keep losing weight and watch that blood sugar level. Eliminate processed food from your diet and look for books dealing with Diabetes and heart disease written by Dr. Joel Fuhrman.

And good luck.
    sandsman likes this.
  4. sandsman

Oddometer:
    I'll be starting cardiac rehab right after Thanksgiving. Eating the right foods and portion control is key. My wife has finally quit bringing me huge meals. When we go out to eat, I only eat 1/2 and bring the rest home.
  5. Berchunis

Oddometer:
    My suggestion, if you're interested, is to share a meal with the wife. My GF is a Diabetic, so we share her meal choice which we insist has NO SALT or SEASONING added. No fries or breaded food or BREAD, either. You gotta' remember that restaurants often use the cheapest oils, fats, seasoning and foods to increase profit. Home cooking is best as you can control what you eat and how you prepare it.

Drink plenty of water, too which helps fill the belly.
    sandsman likes this.
  6. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the recovery!
    sandsman likes this.
  7. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

I enjoyed rehab. Get a workout buddy and have fun.
  8. Berchunis

Oddometer:
    A Cardiac rehab Therapist with big () () is a plus.
    sandsman likes this.
  9. sandsman

Oddometer:
    I am missing riding, I am being patient so I won't be a patient again for a long while...…..did I say I am missing riding yet?
    Berchunis and TrashCan like this.
  10. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

I know what you are going through...

It won't be long.
  11. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dude! All great news.
    Heal up, spring is around to corner.
  12. sandsman

Oddometer:
    I have a couple of cold weather trips in the planning. One is the Around the Bend Rally in West Texas, Feb 28- Mar 3. Also a CMA Roads and Trails Rally in Marble Falls Mar 28-30. I plan on getting some kind of little ride in before Christmas if I feel I am healed up enough. Bikes are ready to go.
    AwDang likes this.
  13. mccolo

mccolo Anything but n00b

Oddometer:
    My surprise was bigger than yours. In March I had an angiogram done and the next day they opened my chest to do four bypasses and replace a damaged portion of my aorta. Twelve weeks later I was back on the bike and a month after that we did a 3,000-mile trip to British Columbia and back. I'm sure by now (late November) you are riding again.
    sandsman likes this.
  14. sandsman

Oddometer:
    My surgery was on Oct 19th and I just start the cardiac rehab tomorrow. I feel like I am about 2-3 weeks from riding yet. But the bikes are ready to roll when I am ready to swing a leg over. I had a severe leg infection that almost killed me just before this heart surgery, I have been pretty much off the bikes since August.
  15. baka1969

baka1969 Veteran Bubblehead

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the Club. Not one that I would wish for many. I am still recovering even 10 weeks after my Cabbage. I'm glad to see you are fairing better.
    sandsman likes this.
  16. sandsman

Oddometer:
    I still have an annoying little cough though, how long did you cough for? My overall feeling good is coming back. I am wanting to get on my bike and go for a little ride, especially on my birthday Dec 10th, I always ride on my birthday, maybe not this year though. But I'm getting closer each day. Like I have said, this surgery is no joke.
    Berchunis likes this.
  17. nbsdave

nbsdave Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I suggest that going out to eat become a quarterly treat. Your healthcare people spoke at length to you about your diet and salt intake. Too much salt is not good at all for your blood pressure. It will be covered again in rehab and you'll get some reading material to study up on..
    You will get much more than the daily 1500 mg. of salt your body needs in one-third of almost any meal you eat at a restaurant. A typical Olive Garden meal, for example, contains 4000 mg. of salt or more.
    What you have gone through should be a life changing experience. It isn't a little bump in the road-it's a big effing deal.
    Take it seriously. In 10-20 years you'll be glad you did.
    sandsman likes this.
  18. sandsman

Oddometer:
    My rehab today went really good. I was the youngest in there. I forgot to ask how long that I would be doing rehab. I have some short rides in about 6 weeks ( in to Dallas for the International Motorcycle Show) so I need to be in shape for that, Big Bertha (BMW) and BlackBird (Goldwing) are missing me. I am feeling better and not sore a bit from the rehab. I know they will step it up a bit, but it was an easy session. As far as diet, my wife has been doing a fantastic job, she has been off with me (she is a nurse) but started back to work today. Best new device we bought was an Insta Pot, a cross between a pressure cooker and a crockpot, they are great! I have stopped using salt, we have other spices. I feel good.
  19. baka1969

baka1969 Veteran Bubblehead

Oddometer:
    I'm still coughing. lol

I do believe your recovery is going much better than mine is.

I went to my doctor today and my cardiologist is concerned
  20. Berchunis

Oddometer:
    Open heart surgery isn't a joke, indeed. My Cardiologist told me (August 2005) I would feel like a truck hit me.

Full recovery will take a while. Eat well, avoid the dinner table salt and restaurant food, and be careful with bottled "seasoning" as salt is sometimes added.