Rever Acquired by Comoto (Revzilla/Cycle Gear/ J&P)

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by AdamChandler, Nov 16, 2020.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    https://advrider.com/rever-acquired-by-comoto-holdings/

REVER will continue to operate as a distinct and differentiated brand within the Comoto family of brands. As such, users will likely not see much in the line of changes to the app. Rever is available in both free and paid versions. The paid version is presently priced at $47.99 for an annual subscription. You can also purchase a monthly subscription for $7.49 per month.
  2. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure how I feel about this. I wasn't thrilled with REVER before, but is it going to get better now that it has some financial backing? Or is it going to turn into an advertising platform for Comoto brands?

But your thread title is what got me to read. I thought "What was never acquired by Comoto?"
    SloSolo2 and AdamChandler like this.
  3. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Shit. fixed the title. thank you. Rever always gets autocorrected when I write it out.

Maybe someone from Rever can jump in but it was my understanding they took funding from BMW & Honda to get started. Here's their funding history - https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/rever

They have raised 3 million in funding, some from BMW. I heard Honda as well about a year ago. Their Press release claims 1 million downloads but I'd prefer to see daily active users instead of just downloads. Rever Pro is worth it to me personally but who knows how many people are actually paying for it.
    ohgood, Zubb and flamingm0e like this.
  4. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    @BjornFromRever might have something to say?

I've tried it several times. Every time someone says "they've made improvements with the latest release" I download it, give it a shot, and have been through a couple of free trials of Pro. I just have a hard time fitting it into my workflow and use on my bike. It failed miserably for me a couple of years ago, but they fixed that bug I had. I have just had a hard time finding the value in it. I want to like it, it has many good features, but I wind up using my old tools instead.
    ohgood and AdamChandler like this.
  5. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I tried the free version when it first came out, it was too "crowd or social oriented" for my interest, and there were many more apps available for a lot less money that were far better navigation tools. I even got a free subscription to it when I purchased my Klim jacket, but never bothered to cash that in.
    ohgood likes this.
  6. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    I’m still trying to get used to it. I uploaded gpx files of the driftless region in Wisconsin and tried to navigate the route. If you have a route that does a big loop and you go off route it recalculates and always tries to give me the shortest route to the final way point making the ride pointless. If you follow the track (blue line) you have to watch the screen constantly and don’t get turn by turn instructions.

Plus the horizontal orientation makes the map stupid small in turn by turn mode.

I mainly use it to auto record rides and as a security feature; the texts if your bike is touched, etc.
    ohgood likes this.
  7. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty much the main thing that attracted me to Rever was the integration with Butler Maps. Planning great roads to ride is easy.
    ohgood likes this.
  8. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I envy those that live in a prime riding spot. LOL. I have to travel to other states to get to the good stuff.
  9. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I live in NE San Antonio. It's being able to quickly create a route/gpx file on any combo of the Butler Map G Roads is the reason I have a subscription.

NW Arkansas and Appalachia beckon as well.
    ohgood, BillWass and AdamChandler like this.
  10. DaveCR

DaveCR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use the free version of Rever. I think it’s great to record a route. It won’t let me pre plan a route with more than 1 waypoint. Not sure if the paid version is better.

The other thing that annoys me is that it’s super slow when you move through the different options.

I have it in an iPhone 8 and an iPhone 11. Same thing.

I guess I’m venting out in case someone from Rever reads this lol
  11. macuaig

macuaig Back in the Saddle

Oddometer:
    I paid for Rever Pro, then dumped it before the trial expired. Forced social media meant I couldn’t export a route for a friend unless I made it public to the world (no, don’t start at my house), and everything was just overpackaged, inflexible, not quite complete...and I forced the rest of the details out of my head. I’m on Scenic now and much happier, though my friend’s stuck without an Android version yet. One thing Rever already has.
    DaveCR likes this.
  12. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm 'pro' and love it. It's the only thing I use to make routes and share routes. download it to my NavV mostly, but it works fine on the phone too.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  13. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rever didn't get along well with my phone. First time I tried it the app wouldn't work with battery saver on:dunno. Even with the phone plugged in, battery was dead half way through the ride. Luckily I had shared the route with another guy. Moved on to Furkot and Osmand. Hope the new financial situation leads to a better product. I might try Rever again but not for a while.
  14. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    cool, hopefully the money injection can get their focus onto a kick ass off line application, instead the social media stuff !
  15. 190 Octane

190 Octane Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hopefully they will improver the navigation part of the app.

I singed up for Rever a few weeks ago, I did the one year subscription. So far route planning is good, but the navigation part needs work. It relies way too much on data usage and drains the battery. Rever was draining my battery even when charging, in just over an hour I was down to 60%. Running other nav apps my phone says between 95% and 100% whenever it's on the charger.

Rever needs a good way to download maps, and not just these tiny tiles. I want a hole state or region stored on my phone.

The routing is great, and the seamless transfer from web browser to phone is awesome. I may end up getting a Garmin and keeping Rever just for the routing.
    ohgood, AdamChandler and Tantor67 like this.
  16. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is my single biggest complaint with these types of apps. Gaia is guilty too. I want entire regions or states, I shouldn't have to download bits and pieces and name the sections that I download to various things (NW CO, SW CO, NE CO, SE CO, W OK, E OK, etc)
    ohgood and Tantor67 like this.
  17. becsta

becsta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used Rever to track my overseas trip last year. I love that I can upload the photos I look along the way.

I wish it had offline navigation, the phone I use on the bike doesn't have data and a lot of Australia doesn't have mobile access.

I would also like to be able to edit a ridden track to start and end away from my house. At the moment I pull up down the road and start/stop the tracking.

Another feature that would be great would be to join rides. I have a ride for each day of my trip and would love to have them all joined together.

I would love to have just one app, Rever could be it will some improvements. Hopefully this will happen with the purchase.
  18. BradB.

BradB. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wish we had representatives from Rever on this forum so they could hear about Rever successes as well as address concerns and complaints. People are often much more enthusiastic and understanding when there is a "face" representing a company.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  19. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I remember the pure joy I felt back in 2008 when I was a Bank of America customer and they were on Twitter actually helping people via direct message. that felt like the future like in the future, I can just tweet or post somewhere and talk to a real human who can help me. no more hold times or going into a branch. it's been 12 years and despite all of the social media experts touting company interaction with customers online as required 10 years ago, so many just ignore it. I don't think it means they don't care, it just means they don't prioritize it.

there's really not a quarterly ROI on social media usage but your customers love it. I ran NFL's twitter account for 2 seasons and people were legitimately excited to get replies and help with NFL Mobile and fantasy apps. running people's social media accounts is a side-hustle for my GF and I and the connection customers make with you via casual conversation on forums is huge. it turns them into ambassadors.
    BradB. likes this.
  20. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are here.

@BjornFromRever