Rever app question

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Retired and lovin it, May 1, 2018.

1. Retired and lovin it

Retired and lovin it Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I may use Rever on a trip would like my daughter to kind of follow my progress as a safety net. Does she just install Rever on her phone then somehow search for my tracks? Enlighten me please. And if I am wasting my time please tell me that as well. I currently have the free install and if it wants money I am out of there.
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    osmand,, oruxmaps, locus, glympse, even the latest Google maps has location sharing/buddy tracking.

you have to have cellular service for any of these live tracking services to work, obviously.

for offline buddy tracking, see the spot/inreach the, but they are expensive and require subscriptions
    CapeMan likes this.
  3. Traxx

Traxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you can add her as a friend and allow her to see your location and it will send a text to her. Look around in the settings
    Check out ESR I believe it has a crash detection as well.
  4. Retired and lovin it

Retired and lovin it Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I see in settings "share my ride with friends" turned that on as well as invite friends to join I did that with my daughter.
  5. bionicman

bionicman On your Mom

Oddometer:
    motionX app has an online updatable feature
  6. Ebrake

Ebrake Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I attempted to use Rever for the same purpose during my ride across Southern Utah last week. My son downloaded the app and connected as a friend. Rever does not upload without cell service however and I was out of range for days at a time. Going with inreach for the safety/location concerns, but I really have high hopes for Rever as a social app to share ride details.
  7. ohgood

Oddometer:

see above, there are several applications that do this without a subscription fee
  8. Actionable Mango

Actionable Mango Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I looked at the terms and conditions for Rever and decided to uninstall it. Can you recommend any apps with route sharing which don't keep all of the detailed information tracking that Rever does?

I get that geolocation data must be collected in order for a route to be saved and shared. But IMHO Rever is keeping WAY too much additional information that is definitely not needed for the service provided.
  9. ohgood

Oddometer:
    i just record a gpx and share it with friends when they ask. no need in giving access to the entire world.

that cuts out the middle man, the reseller, the repackager, and just keeps em between me, you and our buddies. i have had GREAT RESULTS from politely along folks here on adv, Facebook, others, for info about their pictures and tracks. sorry i cant recommend another.
    Actionable Mango likes this.