Rever Opinions

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by _lee, Jul 18, 2016.

1. _lee

_lee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am curious to see what people think of this program? Is it worth upgrading?

I used it to lay out a nice route, however my shitty 590 garmin did not take to the uploaded file for anything. I fault the garmin for that.

I was looking into trying to use my smartphone and Rever to help with turn by turn navigation.

Under little review of the app, I am not sure you can get turn by turn navigation with it or not.
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

it's an app that either records a track, or displays a track. their main focus is to charge you a subscription fee. read the brutally honest reviews on the Android store.

i hoped it would be more than another "give us money every month" app, but it isn't.

check out osmand and locus after you try revert and realize how limited it is.
  3. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmm.. I have the 395 which is similar to your 590 only smaller and it works fine for me. As for Rever.. I'm still on the fence. I bought it a couple months back ($59/yr) and have laid out a few little rides. It does it well on the computer, but the android (Galaxy S5) has a fit with it. I can't move the map page w/o it putting more points all over the map. Frustrating as hell. The other complaints I have with Rever is that you can't locate a point by Longitude/Latitude. I wrote them but they said it's not there yet. Huh? It is a map program isn't it? It also doesn't have anything in there telling you it's a "hike only" "horse only" "vehicle" trail. Also kinda frustrating. All Trails will filter out everything that you don't want.
    I use it with Google maps and All Trails. Between the three, I can layout a ride.
  4. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    A friend used Rever to plan a 14 day route around Europe, and loaded the results to his Zumo 350. Well, the Zumo recalculated everything and tried to route us to major roads between what were too few waypoints.

Was it a fault of the tool, the person who set up the routes, the transfer function, the Zumo, or perhaps a combination of all of these? I am not sure; but what I do know is that we (and I mean me) took hours to re-generate the routes on Basecamp and load them so that he had a functioning setup that worked.

I took the routes beforehand, imported them into my copy of Basecamp, and massaged them and created tracks also. Those went onto my Garmin Montana. That seemed to work better.

Lessons were learned.
  6. Magus

Magus Never grew up... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I want to like it and used it recently on a 2 day dual sport ride in Colorado. As a track recorder it does well but, at least with the Android version, it's still got quite a few bugs and the Butler maps are almost unreadable with the zoom control available in the app. Hope it improves.
  7. ohgood

Oddometer:

bmw.... does not know a kid with an iphone and google drive can setup GPX file hosting in about thirty seconds ?
  8. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    BMW is like many companies out there. They don't realize that the world has certainly changed and now kids as old as 10 could program an app that runs circles around anything they have.
    scfrank likes this.
  9. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    Butler maps, IMO, are virtually unreadable in their PAPER form, I can only imagine what it must look like electronically. Good info but way, way too much "noise."
    motocopter and Magus like this.
  10. mikemaycga

mikemaycga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I paid for an annual subscription and use Rever to look for good roads on multi day trips, however, I use Furkot.com to plan the rides and generate the .gpx files for use on the ride.

There are many layers required to create a useful trip planning application and the Furkot team seems to have figured it out. They use Google maps as the base technology and then add a whole bunch of planning features plus other data layers like lodging, state parks, scenic look outs etc. The even have a feature where riders can post epic routes.
    By focusing all their effort on a web app, Furkot has more features than anyone else and it works on any PC that has a proper browser.

Rever's starting point was butler maps. In fact, in the Google map world, the Rever/Butler curated routes are simply a layer - one aspect of a trip planning tool. We, the riders would be better off if Rever offered their curated route feature as an add-in to Furkot, but Rever wouldn't get $60/ year for one feature.

The problem that Rever has, is their small development team need to write the web app features AND write and maintain an iOS and Android apps. Any one of those project require a two person team minimum. And, since one person can only do one job at a time, each product ends up with less features than the leading app in each category.

The result is low functionality in both iOS and Android apps.

Basecamp is a convoluted mess that has evolved with multiple mandates. It works but is not very effective. The big advantage is, it can run locally on a laptop, so you can be in the middle of now where, revise a map and send the new map to your GPS.

Furkot is much more logical and well thought out, but ... Needs an Internet connection, since their servers do all the work. It's not that useful in the middle of no where without an Internet connection.

There is no perfect solution, so I carry paper maps, laptop, tablet, iPhone, and my Garmin GPS. That combo lets me get to wherever I need to go, but it's a lot of paraphernalia to do trip planning. Consider the paper map as the primary navigation tool and GPS as a navigation aid.

When the pieces are working well, I download the tracks, which is a bread crumb that shows what path I want to drive. It's not routeable, but shows the base line path. I then turn it into a route but turn route re-calculation off. That forces the GPS to follow the route I planned, instead of finding a faster route, say on a 4 lane interstate - I want to ride the rural roads. If you deviate from the route, you always have the original track to tell you where you need to return to in order to follow your original intended path.

Dan (DRTBYK) has many articles on trip planning that explain the process better than I. Once you get comfortable with the basics, you gain total control over planning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    scfrank, Vilaye, CapeMan and 4 others like this.
  11. GrumpyOne

GrumpyOne Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    BMW Motorrad just sent out a notification to the "BMW Motorrad Community" that we can sign up with a free year of Rever Premium. (They included a one time use code in the e-mail.)

I signed up, but it doesn't seem like an overly useful app right now. Hopefully they'll add more functionality soon.

-jw
  12. ohgood

Oddometer:

BMW sent rever some money, access they're trying to figure out how to get it back from the riders.... that already are entrenched in the world of garmin devices and slogging through basecamp.

maybe BMW is ahead of the game, or just trying to not get left behind. dunno
  13. Ironchef

Ironchef Warren

Oddometer:
    Just tried Rever but tells me need to pay to be able to download GPX route I have created.
    Gave me a limit of 25 waypoints, perhaps paid version offers more.
    Cannot see any options to edit cuesheet, add POI nor options for export file to be route or track or to include/remove POI and cuesheet data.
    I still find Ride with GPS the best. Targeting bicycles riders but it offers all options for planning motorcycle rides free once you register.
    ohgood likes this.
  14. kickstandsup

Oddometer:

Well now, don't I feel dissed...I'm an MOA member for years, owning multiple BMWs and I didn't get any invite...soooooooo sad...

That said, I would not pay for this service, not one cent.
  15. GrumpyOne

GrumpyOne Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has nothing to do with MOA. It came directly from BMW Motorrad. I think you have to be on their e-mail newsletter list, which I'm not sure how I even got on.

-jw

16. pntsoptional

pntsoptional Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want to like this service, but I'm a little surprised it doesn't offer turn by turn directions via the app. The route planning is neat, but after that all you can do is follow your route in map mode in the app. In this age where everyone has a smartphone why is my only option for turn by turn exporting a gpx file and uploading it into a GPS? Is 90's tech now cool and retro and nobody told me?
    Mofrid likes this.
  17. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    Because BMW does not sell phones...yet...
  18. ohgood

Oddometer:

rever = monthly subscription fees for TRACKS that other people uploaded to their servers, NOT for navigation. if you pay them money you can import their TRACKS (they do not have maps) into real navigation applications, and/or your stand alone GPS
    scfrank likes this.
  19. Magus

Magus Never grew up... Supporter

Oddometer:
    And if you pay you get access to the Butler roads for what's that worth...
  20. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Some of the social features are kinda cool...like being able to see where guys are on a route.....

Otherwise there is no way I would subscribe though, I have locus pro and OsmAnd+ .....REVER doesn't offer enough practical functionality over those two apps and planners like Furkot to make it worth the (hefty) buy in.