Rever's new 3D Route planning is a game changer

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Brentbat, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Brentbat

Brentbat Luv making Adv Vids

Oddometer:
    This new capability was announced a couple of days ago, and since then I've been giving it a try. OMG... This is incredible. I made a short 4min video showing you two totally different ways I have been using it.

Enjoy.
    Brent
    JimsBeemer and Traxx like this.
  2. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure why its a game changer, he didn't really plan the route, he loaded one already planned
    I can get a GXP I have an load it into 3D visualization tools now

I'm not saying it doesn't look like a good tool, but exactly is the new bit ?, or is it just because people don't know what's out there now ?
    ohgood likes this.
  3. Brentbat

Brentbat Luv making Adv Vids

Oddometer:
    Did you see the second part of the video? First demo displayed a GPX. Second part showed how I planned in the 3d.

I've used 3d visualisation tools, but they don't let me adjust the route easily. This allows me to do both in the one tool, and for me that is the game changer. I also find the 3d manipulation especially fast and powerful. Much better than anything else I have used, but maybe you are using some better 3d visualisation tools than I am.

What are you using for your planning & Visualisation?
  4. petertakov

petertakov Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rever is actually pretty good but Google Earth is free :-) and I hate subscription fees.
    BygDaddee and ohgood like this.
  5. Commiehunter

Commiehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    3D is pretty easy to read. I'm fairly familiar with reading topo lines, so I tend to find that's almost as easy.

That said, I like the option there to plan a route on a map and export as a .gpx, which is something I'm still looking for a way to do easily. Can anyone else chime in if Google Earth does that well, or if Garmin Basecamp is still the defacto option there? I've had challenges with Google Maps because it doesn't seem to want to export as .gpx.
  6. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Google Earth doesn't deal with gpx. It uses KMZ/KML files. If you export from there, you need to convert it to a GPX to use. It's a pain in the ass really when there are plenty of other options for planning routes out there.
    Commiehunter likes this.
  7. Commiehunter

Oddometer:
    That's what I thought. I think at this point I'll stick to gpx compatible utilities, and scratch my head as to why Google chose to exclude themselves from that pool.
  8. flamingm0e

Oddometer:
    I have found Furkot to be the best planner for me.
    Commiehunter likes this.
  9. terryckdbf

terryckdbf Bumbling BackRoad Riders™

Oddometer:
    This is simple, seems to work, not a pain in the ass for me, maybe others.

Terry

https://kml2gpx.com/
    BygDaddee and Commiehunter like this.
  10. Commiehunter

Oddometer:
    This is pretty good. Certainly a useful tool to have to change from one to the other.
    terryckdbf likes this.
  11. petertakov

petertakov Long timer

Oddometer:
    Converting a KML to GPX is literally half a second job - it's like converting zip to rar. Plus most nav apps support KML anyway so you don't even need to do that. You have a very sensitive ... definition of PITA :-)))))

@Commiehunter TomTom's online route planner exports GPX TRACKS and also syncs with their devices and app. I'm not big fan of standalone GPS devices but the TT implementation is so near perfect for me that I bought several car TT devices from ebay. They are so cheap they are practically disposable.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  12. flamingm0e

Oddometer:
    Why would I have to use 2 different programs to do something that one simple website can handle? Yeah, it's a pain in the ass to have to use multiple apps/websites to get a simple GPX file. I just want to use one tool or website to create the route/track and the file that gets exported should be able to be used in ANY nav system.

So I feel that it's more work than required, when there are literally better planning websites out there.
  13. terryckdbf

Oddometer:
    Basecamp will export in multiple formats. It's free, it's stand alone, it needs no internet. What planning websites are referencing?

Terry
  14. flamingm0e

Oddometer:
    Read the previous posts. We were talking about Google Earth.

I use Furkot, as mentioned earlier.

Basecamp requires Windows or Mac...I can use Furkot on literally any device.
  15. terryckdbf

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

Terry