Review - CB500X v R1200GSA - Getting old

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Homer GSA, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Lanis

Lanis Full Time Wanderer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's funny how timely this thread is. I've been loving my ATAS for the last 2 years and come across a 2016 CB500x for a Guest bike (only 1300km on it). I bought it for a song. A female friend of mine has been riding it for the last year (It's really easy to lower 2.5 inches) as she's only 5'2" and 110lbs. She loves it. BUT....

I've been working a lot in London this last year (I am Canadian), driving my big ole 2008 Varadero around the M25 that I flew there last summer with Air Canada's 'Fly Your Bike' Program. My Varadero has been hit, dropped, and backed over (I lend it to friends to ride when I am not there.) I think it's time to sell the ole girl and fly my ATAS over Europe. This means the CB500x will become my Canada bike. I was a little concerned about it's size (it being just too small for me), but from what I've read, that's just not the case.

Anyone have a set of side cases on a CB500x ?? How does it do on the hiway?? Is the engine getting too small for a full camping load and side cases?

L
  2. Krons

Krons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've looked at them but based simply on spec sheet the 750x seems too heavy compared to the 500x. 750x at 500 lbs, 500x at 430 lbs. But the 1200x is 608 lbs...
  3. LordMorgan

LordMorgan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're not stable on a r1200gsa I don't think there's going to be much else you can do bro. I have an '05 and it handles like a gsxr in the twisties, the wind protection is unmatched on the highways and it's a plush ride on dirt/gravel roads. It's a marvel of modern engineering. I have my own share of medical issues that prevent me from riding aggressively and I'm very happy with mine. If you're looking to ride more on rough dirt then I suggest you go with a big bike/small bike combo. Keep your GS, fix the issues you're having with it like put on tires and adjust the suspension to match your riding style, and then buy a 250 dual sport like a wr250r for heavy dirt bias or a crf250 rally for more street capabilities. Those 250's will take you anywhere in rough terrain and then you'll have your GS for comfy touring and street riding
    Krons likes this.
  4. Motogasoline

Motogasoline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lanis, I went all out and got Givi V35s and a top box. The engine didnt have an issue but the weight was too much on the rear causing some handshake if you let off the handlebars. If i ever get another cbx id get a top box and soft waterproof side bags.
  5. Lanis

Lanis Full Time Wanderer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My thoughts exactly on the soft bags. I just ordered the SW-Motech side racks and am leaning towards the Musko 35l panniers.

LLL
    Motogasoline likes this.
  6. mda185

mda185 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very interesting feedback in this thread. I am 62 and had my left hip replaced 3 years ago. Since then, my 2008 R1200GS Adv has felt to tall and heavy even though I had it lowered 1" with upgraded Hyperpro shocks. I bought a DR650 for the majority of my local riding and love it. Way more fun to ride that on dual sport rides and it is a decent road bike at speeds below 70 mph. I upgraded the stock Suzuki suspension and that made a huge difference in comfort and handling. I have spent considerable time on a cousin's Wee Strom and for longer distance rides, I think that is the ticket. I loved riding my GS in my 50's but it is probably time to recognize I scratched that itch (to have a GS) and sell it. The Honda CB500X looks like a great bike if it fits ergonomically. I am a little too big for it at 5' 10" and 250 lbs. I did not like the footpeg height and distance from the seat.
    Krons and Motogasoline like this.
  7. ThunderPig

ThunderPig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went through the same process with my S10. Absolutely loved the bike but was just too big and heavy for the type of riding I liked. Traded it in for a Ducati Desert Sled; simpler, smaller and much lighter.

I considered a a CB500X but couldn't find one (testament to their popularity). Seems like a great bike and Honda reliability to boot.
  8. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got about 25,000 miles on an NC700xdct, including one 6500 mile tour of Utah/Colorado. I really like the motorcycle. The DCT is wonderful.
    Sold an old 750 Nighthawk and a DR650 to get this one.
    The NC is great on gravel and not too knarly Forest Service roads. Some folks have done some impressive off pavement rides on the NC. it does have the tank under the seat and slanted cylinders to get the weight low. The torque is great and starts at the bottom of the rpm range. She's not a rocket on the highway, but gets the job done. I had no problems crossing the plains. A great Swiss Army Knife motorcycle.
    I currently have a Madstad windscreen on mine for rider comfort and a Cogent suspension.

[​IMG]

I am currently planning a MABDR trip and I believe the NC will do it with no problems, however, I'm 66, and have had 5 surgeries in the last 4 years, including a shoulder replacement. Thinking of picking up the NC on the trail is daunting. I just purchased a Royal Enfield Himalayan. I wanted something smaller, but not too small. I'm a heavy guy with short legs. I have 1300 miles on the Himma and really enjoy it. No excess power, but great tractability. I can get on the highway if I have to. I have not had to touch the suspension. I did add Givi rear racks and crash bars, plus a few smaller farkles and thats it.

[​IMG]