Review: Highway Dirtbikes "big bike" kit for the 950.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Geek, Feb 18, 2010.

1. sven520

sven520 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You might get a set of ROX Pivot risers and bring your bars both up and back.

Thanks 6USMC6 I'll take a look at that. I noticed that Steverino notched out
    a C Baily so the hand guards would fit, looks clean.
  2. sven520

sven520 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I checked out the ROX risers, not enough throttle cable for the two inch
    rise. talked to RTT this am they are sending out 4 1/2 inch risers.
    Keeping my fingers crossed:clap
  3. roundtripping

roundtripping Adventourist

Oddometer:
    How is 4 1/2 inch risers gonna need less throttle cable than 2 inch risers?

EDIT: unless you're saying you're getting four half inch risers, not 4.5 inch risers? I'm so confused! :lol3
  4. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    Me too. The 1 3/4" Rox worked on my SMR - even with the short cables they have - and they're perfect on the Adventure.
  5. sven520

sven520 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is a little confusing. I wanted two one inch spacers, there not in stock
    so he's gonna send me four 1/2 inch spacers for the same price. That mite work out even better. You know were I can get a cable stretcher?:D
  6. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has anyone installed the anti vibration inserts in combination with the HWDB handguards? If so, could you tell any difference?
  7. Jim Colombotos

Jim Colombotos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed them honestly did not notice a big improvement.
    For extra cable length if you haven't done so, flip the throttle cable housing upside down on the handlebars.
  8. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jim,

Thanks - I just tried them on some ProTaper Windham Mid Bend bars w/o the handguards and I couldn't detect any difference either. I've had better success on other bikes by using extra heavy (17 oz) bar end weights. Don't know if the Anti-Vib inserts from HWDB are different from the Vibrinators from Ricor.
  9. the octopus

the octopus The Chef

Oddometer:
    Just installed them today. No real difference. Minor decrease in vibration, but not necessarily worth the cost.
  10. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Yup... they're tough. :rofl

[​IMG]
  11. ten_fiver

ten_fiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    How is your handlebar control wiring routed? I just put a set of HDB guards on last night, but I'm not too happy with the cables resting across the handguards. On the left, they wouldn't fit under without rotating the clutch lever down further than my fingers would reach. On the right, they are tucked under the handguard, but still rubbing. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Oh, it's a 990 if that makes any difference.

*still waiting on the mirrors to show up, so that's why I still have the stockers on.

Attached Files:

• hdb.jpeg
      hdb.jpeg
      File size:
      60.5 KB
      Views:
  12. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Do you have your levers rotated down to where they should be ergonomically? :lurk
  13. ten_fiver

ten_fiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, kinda. Where they should be rotated (ergonomically), the wiring won't fit at all. I can rotate them further down, but then I have a harder time reaching them. The only way I can get the wires to work is if I rotate the levers up a little too high.
  14. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    :dunno I have no wiring issues whatsoever.. It might be touching the sheaths here & there but the cables move inside the sheaths- should have zero impact (and has had no impact in 20000 miles of hard riding) my wiring is stock :dunno

My levers are all low - comfortable when standing (maybe 30-45 degrees below horizontal).
  15. ten_fiver

ten_fiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmm, ok. I loosened the brake line to rotate it back a little, that helped. As for the others that are rubbing, I might just wrap them with rubber tape or something where they make contact.

Just a quick question: I have my clutch side wires routed over the handguard bar, and my brake side routed under (except the throttle cables which aren't a problem.) Is this how you have yours routed?

Thanks for your help.
  16. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
  17. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
  18. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
  19. Flyin Phil

Flyin Phil Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    :ear

curious about this too. I'm guessing the barkbuster model kaoko is the way to go, but since shipping over the line is a bit of a hassle, I'd like to make sure the right parts arrive the first time around.

:freaky
  20. GlobalTech

GlobalTech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I spent weeks back and forth with Kaoko SA on this and sent them drawings of the HDB (from Paul) to get them to design something that combined the HDB bar insert with the Kaoko.

Unfortunately, I got nowhere, so I bought a used standard KTM Kaoko (off a Advrider Inmate) and modified it. All you have to do is cut the chamfer off the Kaoko and tap the bar end deep enough allow it to be sandwiched between the bar end and the handguard.

It works a treat, but be aware that a heavy fall could misalign the Kaoko lock rendering it inoperative. I guess this goes for any impact the Kaoko recieves, since its made of very soft alloy.