Review: Highway Dirtbikes "big bike" kit for the 950.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Geek, Feb 18, 2010.

1. plumbtired

plumbtired plunging into the farkle

Oddometer:
    ? R the riser offsets suppose to mount forward or rearward.

Pull back on these bar @ 3-1/4", bar spec lists most at 2-3/8 " an under.
  2. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Riser offsets go forward.

When you lift the bars higher they are coming up and back toward you; therefore the offset puts them forward to er... offset that :D
  3. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Yes! I can't get enough of this thing :ricky

You up for maybe exploring north-east again? But only if you bring jumper cables this time :D

Give me a call tomorrow? I'll be in the garage wrenching on the DR in the a.m.

:freaky
  4. plumbtired

Oddometer:
    Thanks Geek, gunna try again puttin evrything in play, qwik fit didn't look like it would work, wish me luck. Instructions might help!!:deal
    Already downloaded.
  5. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the time you took to document and write everything up. Most helpful. I love the idea of using the top clamp as a switch and outlet location. The mounting to the top clamp and the threaded insert ends are the only way to go too.

Even though the risers are offset, they still need to be more forward for my taste. The only other thing I would comment on is that I wish the initial bend of the guard (from where it mounts to the end of the bar to where it curves around front) had more on an inward turn to it. Probably not an issue on our big bikes, but in a tight woods situation on a race bike, I think these guards would stick out too far. It's pretty clearly a dual sport set up, though.

I still will probably end up with a set (without their riser though) because I love the total concept. Very clean set up.
  6. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Plumb: the bars don't "fit in smoothly". It is a press fit. The risers will spread out and clamp down on the bars when you bolt them down (within reason.. assuming you have the right size bars)
  7. PacificPT

PacificPT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice write up, the HDB system for the mirrors really looks like the best way of attaching mirrors to a bike! I have always worried about my 610 mirror stalk snapping and possibly leaving me stranded....
  8. plumbtired

Oddometer:
    Right length, don't know if the bend will work. Seems like the guards would have to spring in at the swivel boss about 1-1/2 maybe 2". Did you start ur bolt down at bar end 1st or top clamp?
  9. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    I bolt into the bar end first and then into the middle.

IMPORTANT TIP I was going to post:

Leave all the bolts loose until you get them all started. It is amazing how just loosening all of them a little gives you that fraction needed to get the alignment going. Once I have all of the bolts started I tighten up the bar end, then the block to the riser and lastly the guard to the block (it has the slot and therefore the most adjust ability).

Go ahead and crank on them... you can easily take up an inch or two.

I remember my Husky guards were a bit off (my 610 was the guinea pig first Husky HDB did) and Paul told me to just bend them as needed. I simply pulled hard on the first one until I got it lined up. On the second one I put it in my bench vice and give it a bit of a pull before I bolted it up.
  10. FINNDIAN

FINNDIAN Mine goes to 11

Oddometer:
    I like the mirror idea. Doesn't look like they sell them individually. If I could mount them to my cycra probends I would. The setup looks awesome and I would probably go that way on bike I didn't have setup already.
    Thanks Geek
  11. Secondtear

Secondtear Secondtear

Oddometer:
    Geek,

What IPhone remote do you use? And how do you mount it and waterproof?
  12. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build

Oddometer:
    Wow, I'm so glad I randomly looked through threads tonight. That triple clamp is worth buying the whole system for. I can't tell you how annoying it is to have to drill bodywork for the powerlets and I'd love a better place for switches.

I love my Duke mirrors but I might swap them just for the handguards which are just the prettiest ones I've ever seen. Why did it take so long for someone to make a well thought out and attractive set of handguards? Finally!

Thanks for the review - I think I'll order them tonight.

Gregor
  13. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    You will not be disappointed, they work like a champ and are beautifully made.
  14. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have an E-mail into Paul to see if all this good stuff will work with my stock bars on the XR650. I sure hope so, so I can spend lots of money :lol3

Order placed today. I can't wait to get this installed on the bike. :clap

I will also do a write up on the installation, maybe in here with Geeks permission, so that everyone can see what they are like on another type of bike. :thumb

Marc
  15. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    I wanted to post a couple of updated photos.. I finally got my dual heat troller and dual power lets installed on my HDB mount.

The red LED you see that is lit up indicates that my left powerlet is turned on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FYI -

HDB is now working on a setup that will be compatible with the kaoko throttle lock that so many of us use on the 950. :thumb

Hopefully we'll get time next week to test fit it to the bike and I'll post some photos of the setup. :clap
  16. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    That's a clean install. Thank you for the pix. Which wireless remote is that?
  17. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    The remote is the "iJet".

No problems with interference from the bike (like monsterclick) but a little more difficult to use with gloves.
  18. bikyto

Oddometer:
    good to know. Thank you!
  19. bikyto

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the multiple posts. I don't know what happened.
  20. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    How do you like the Oregon up on the dash (vs. mounted on the bars with a RAM ball)?