Review: Highway Dirtbikes "big bike" kit for the 950.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Geek, Feb 18, 2010.

1. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Geek, your post just cost me almost $300! Does Paul have you on comission?
  2. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    No commission.. just happy to help a fellow entrepreneur (and friend) out :freaky

pfb: I like it a lot where I have it. I have mounts on both the bars and on the dash so I could use it either way. That said, the way I have it on the dash (with the arm horizontal so the GPS is held out towards me) works well because it's easier to look at while riding. I also have a couple of length arms if I want to adjust how far away it is (but I can reach it fine with the short arm).

[​IMG]
  3. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Update:

I just got the new Ultimate Touring Handguards from HDB.

For those of you with the Kaoko throttle lock on your bike, this system is compatible with it :wings

Pics to come :lurk

[​IMG]
  4. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    So the touring system basically includes longer guards and a matching spacer for the left bar so everything stays symmetrical for those who use a cruise control on their bikes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you can see how much longer compared to the old guard on the bike
    [​IMG]

Et Voila! My Kaoko cruise control installed with the new HDB ultimate touring guards :thumb
    [​IMG]

I don't have time to finish the install tonight but I'll post pics on Thursday when I do. We test fit the right side & the kaoko tonight to make sure everything was right and it was bang on :thumbs

I think I'll spray paint my spacer flat black.
  5. xdbx

xdbx Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    DAMNIT! This was exactly the niggle I was trying to resolve before being forced to purchase..... My wallet hurts......... :baldy
  6. scaryfast

scaryfast Strugglin' to be Average!

Oddometer:
    Just another thumbs up for Highway Dirt Bikes. I got my HDB Hand Guards all mounted up and ready to go. Super nice guards and great company to work with!!
  7. plumbtired

plumbtired plunging into the farkle

Oddometer:
    If you mount with 2-1/4" risers you will need to purchase M10 x 90mm SH bolts. KTM 18mm riser kit bolts barely catch nyloc nuts. 1 other prob encountered when installing with stock Neken bars on 08 990A, contact with front brake reservoir and had to reduce the bend at swivel end & increase at bar end connection. Easily accomplished with a heavy soft end hammer & bench vise.

Like Geek :freaky said it's not a perfect fit, all depends on ur engineering skills :deal & personal taste.
    In the end no more Mickey Mouse ears. :clap

Checkin out those touring guards, NICE!!...might have to make another purchase.
  8. RudeAwakening

RudeAwakening n00b

Oddometer:
    is there a website for these hand guards?
  9. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wish I would have seen this before I dropped another C-note on yet another set of handguards.
  11. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nono

:lol3

Marc
  12. plumbtired

plumbtired plunging into the farkle

Oddometer:
    Thought i'd follow up with a pic. :clap

Didn't like the flat look so opted for a more stocker config. 5/8 hole drilled at bar end & slightly longer SH bolt. Parts off stock handguard set.

Attached Files:

13. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Has anyone installed the HDB kit on a 950 with the BRP submount kit? I've talked on the phone w/ Paul and he was super helpful but I'm still not 100% on which top clamp I want to get.

I'd like the Powerlet version but that just seems like a non-starter clearance wise.

Like stock the BRP is rubber mounted so the AX topclamp is recommended but I'm concerned about access to the damper base valve

Looking at Geek's pics (thanks) I don't think the AX clamp will actually interfere with the base valve but I'd like to be able to adjust it on the move. Paul said he once made some billet star adjusters which might allow me to turn w/ fingers if they fit and he can find them. The Scotts provided star adjuster is too big, see below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The small adjuster thats on the base valve now I got from Scotts. Originally the bike had 2" risers and this much larger adjustment knob but without the risers it doesn't fit (I'm 5'10", previous owner was 6'4").

[​IMG]
  14. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    It's a good question.
    I have the hdb setup with the powerlets.
    I also have rox risers 1 3/4in. And I'm wondering if the damper would fit. Without the powerlets, no problem. With.... Well I'm not so sure and access to the adjusters would be difficult. I'm considering the RTT damper which has a remote.

I can take some pix If you'd like but my attempts at posting them of the forum have failed.
    :D
  15. Dust Rider

Dust Rider Banging in Bozeman

Oddometer:
    +1 for HDB big bike guards. They are tough and folding mirror is best option for off road. They also have a great image at high dirt speed. I was ripping 85mph on dirt and they had same vibration as stock. Great product!
    [​IMG][/IMG]
  16. chasbo

chasbo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What risers are those? Are the the HDB's?

17. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Got them yesterday. Complete with a nice little note from my friend Toddler who must have been visiting Paul's shop.

No issues with access to the Scotts base damper valve. Paul did his best to tell me there would be no problem but I was having none of it. I blame the top down only 2d drawings on the website :D

Easy install. Only thing I didn't like was the silver bolts since I'd paid for everything else to be anodized. I got some black ones from the Hardware Store in 12.9. EDIT: Paul told me that black is oxide coated and not very corrosion friendly. Hmmn, I should have probably known this, not exactly a good idea for Oregon climate :lol3

Really like this setup. Fitment was pretty easy. There were no instructions in the package but they were easy to find on the WS. There are two holes you can choose from in the boss and the bosses themselves swivel. End result is a wide range of positions for what angle you want the guards (not possible at all with the Cycra t/clamp mounts).

There was a slight gap between the deflector end and each boss but it tightened up easily ... pretty cool as the bend on the standard 950 bars is pretty wonky.

Here are some pics. Anyways, easily best setup I've installed on a bike yet. Not a cheap setup but well worth it IMHO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    The HDB setup cleans the lines of the bike up so nicely.. no more "insect antennas" sticking above the bars waiting to snap the brake reservoirs off in a fall :nod

I snapped this photo today riding in the mtns between clients :ricky
    [​IMG]
  19. husky123

husky123 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

I'm waking this thread up to see if anyone can tell me the bolt spacing for the Super Enduro? I'm about to order a set and want to make sure I have it right. Will the HDB 100mm X 38/40 mm work? Thanks!
  20. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Hey Lee,

I just put the calipers on my BRP mount and that's what I got. I had to get a new laptop tonight, so sorry for the delay.