Review: Highway Dirtbikes "big bike" kit for the 950.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Geek, Feb 18, 2010.

1. husky123

husky123 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good deal....appreciate that.

Lee
  2. Stobie

Stobie Mr. Motivated Supporter

Oddometer:
    The stock bar mount spacing is narrower than the BRP; more like 90 x 40.
  3. Helios

Helios Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. unaweep

unaweep Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer:
  5. Helios

Helios Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ok, Paul got back with me and that is the correct measurement...
  6. Knobbiethrower

Knobbiethrower ADV in ADK

Oddometer:
    Just ordered my set today-Thanks Geek & Paul!:deal
  7. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
  8. Tijuana_Taxi

Tijuana_Taxi Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey I'm looking to purchase both the HDB handguards and a Kaoko cruise. I see Kaoko offers one to fit the 990 with stock handguards and also aftermarket (ie: barkbusters). Anyone know which one I should purchase?:ear
  9. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    Geek,
    Thanks for the great write-up. Am I correct in thinking you stuck with the not-so-tall risers? An inch rise over stock? How do you like them sitting and standing? I am 6ft too, not sure if my arms are as long as you describe...mine reach all the way from my shoulders to my hands...:D
    I know I need some rise when on the pegs, just trying to figure how much.

Hayduke,
    with the tall-tall risers, did you have to extend any hoses or cables?
  10. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Yeah I have the "not so tall".

I rode the bike about 20,000 miles this summer and enjoyed it a lot. I thought I was perfectly happy until recently I rode one with just a little more rise and I liked it too so I'm considering experimenting a bit.

The issue for me is I don't want to get so high that it causes circulation issues when I'm sitting. I think that is more a function of ratio of fore-arm length (I think I might be starting to get a bit of arthritis in my elbows).

YMMV (i hope :freaky)
  11. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    I have 1 3/4 risers which are nearly perfect for me standing up (with lower than stock pegs)
    I didn't have to change the brake lines or re route anything

But like geek said, I am wondering if they are a little too high when sitting down for blood circulation in my arms.

I've tried another 990 with lower riser and it felt good sitting down but it's really hurting my back when standing for a long time.....

Moving them up and down on the fly would be ideal. I saw some riser on a BMW...yes..I know...:huh from Wunderlich and they are adjustable on the fly.

Pretty neat. I do not know how they would hold up in a crash.....

:D
  12. plumbtired

plumbtired plunging into the farkle

Oddometer:
    Stock bars on the tall ones comfy when sitting for me, I do get numb in the right hand due to a fall on a construction site with palm taking all the weight on top of a rock, ouch!! Standing seems to fairly comf as well, no regrets yet, except for the fall!
    :freaky
  13. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in these hand guards for a 950A and have one niggling question that the photos have almost answered.

My preferred control setup has the levers positioned on a line drawn down my extended arm, through the hand grips and just under the extended fingers. This has the levers pretty low behind the bars.

With the wonderful (sarcasm) stock plastic guards they have to be rotated waaaaay down to accommodate the position of the brake and clutch master cylinders. There is reduced protection and some of my control lines/cables are in a bind.

Can someone confirm that there is room between the HDB guard and the controls to allow me to position the levers where I like them without contact with the master cylinders, cables and lines?

Using stock Renthal KTM bend with Emig triple clamp and damper, if that figures into the answer.

Thanks!
  14. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    I can confirm that.
    For what its worth, I added small spacer between the bar-end and the handguards - to ensure there was a safe gap between the end of the levers and the handguard metal (clutch is worst). If you leave a gap thats smaller than a finger - it can result in an unpleasant injury should the finger get sandwiched between the end of the lever and the handguard.

[​IMG]
  15. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that's good to know as well.

What I'm interested in is clearance back nearer the hardware/pivot end of the lever.

When I adjust the controls down, that's when I've had a problem with the reservoir and lines being restricted from adjustment by the guard in the area where it tapers back to the inner mounting point. I've often had to rotate the guard down to have the levers where I want them.

When I have my levers set up the way I like they are often rotated far enough around to where I can't see them behind the grips when seated with my hands on the bars.

This way I reach 'out' for the lever with my fingers, rather than having to reach up and over for the lever the way most shops tend to set up a bike. This seems more natural and I feel keeping the wrist straighter when using the lever provides more grip strength for the brake and a faster reaction time.

The guard should be able to remain horizontal to block wind, bugs, trees, etc. when the controls are positioned this way. Many brands of guards I've used are unable to accommodate the bulk of the reservoir and lines rotated within the narrow area they surround as they taper back to their mounting point on the handlebar.

In some of the photos the HDB's look like this may not be an issue. This photo looks like it is set up similar to what I'm describing, just wish I could see an end-on view to verify the lever position.

[​IMG]
  16. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    That picture is out of Geek's Smugmug account. You might PM him and ask if he would take a picture from the end of the bar to see the angle of his controls and guards. I'm sure he would help out.

Dave
  17. plumbtired

plumbtired plunging into the farkle

Oddometer:
    Look back one page end view on mine might be what your lookin 4. Only prob I had was havin 2 rotate the front brake line up above the tab stickin out from the reservoir.
  18. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    At the Banjo fitting on the line? That makes sense.

Thanks for the confirmation that there is room!

If needed, could you have rotated the lever down a little further?

Let's say, to get another half inch rotation measured at the end of the lever?
  19. Tiggleswerth

Tiggleswerth Jansport

Oddometer:
    Just across the river from Marsing, Idaho
    Does anyone have good pictures of blue 9X0's with the aluminum colored kit or the black colored kit? I have decided to get these awesome handguards but can't decide what color to get... Thanks!
  20. unaweep

unaweep Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer:
    Hey Crazy Brit- what year is your bike? When you rotated the banjo bolt, did you have to reroute the brake tube? Your brake tube seems to cross over to the left and then down. The one on my 10 990R goes down on the right. The tube didn't want to twist that way when I tried to rotate the banjo bolt up like you did. It seemed like the brake tube was going to kink. I'm not sure whether, even if I go through the trouble of detaching the tube from all the plastic all the way down, it will straighten itself out and not want to bind.:freaky

I want to be able to take better advantage of the versatility of positioning that these guards offer.

Also, could you elaborate on the spacer you used- dimensions and reason for doing so? I wasn't real clear on the purpose for the spacer.

Man all mighty, I absolutely LOVE these on my 990. The big bike kit rocks.:clap I really don't know of any other hand guard setup for the 9XX bikes (especially) that compares to this one. They really can take the beating that these big heavy bikes deliver when they go down hard. :muutt

:clap