Review: Highway Dirtbikes "big bike" kit for the 950.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Geek, Feb 18, 2010.

1. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    06 950Adv with 950SE master cylinder (single disc hi-fender conversion), very different setup than 990.

Not sure what you are asking, please quote from original posting for context.

thanks
  2. unaweep

unaweep Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer:
    Sorry friend, it was Mookies post about the spacer, not yours. :thumb
  3. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    The spacers were 10mm wide, 22mm diameter.

I just used them on the ends of the bars to give a bit of extra clearance for the end of the levers & some more room for my hands.
    Its not essential.
    I did it because it was possible. (wasnt able to do it with cycras)
  4. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had the XR out for a ride today and got a picture of the installed guards.

I have my levers just under the mirror mounting and have about 1/2" clearance to the guard. I think it will work fine for you.

[​IMG]

Marc
  5. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    What's the foam rubber for Marc?
  6. Lomax

Oddometer:
    So the mirrors don't rattle when folded in. :thumb

Marc
  7. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    I wonder if mine rattle when folded in :dunno

I always have ER6i's in so I don't hear a thing :trp

...then again.. I can't remember the last time I folded them in (other than dropping the bike and having them fold themselves in :D )
  8. unaweep

Oddometer:
    NICE! I must do this. I always think something's come loose when going slow.:clap
  9. bairesman

bairesman Road warrior

Oddometer:
    I love the setup, thanks for taking the time to answer questions related to it. I guess one question I have is, if you are using the bike 50% road 50% off road, do you feel these mirrors provide enough vision on the street compared to the stock ones?
    Thanks much, Martin
  10. Lomax

Oddometer:
    Martin,

I have no issues with the mirrors what so ever. Of course they are not 6" big mirrors but I have very good rear visibility. The quality is great and give you a clear view.

Marc
  11. plumbtired

plumbtired plunging into the farkle

Oddometer:
    Mine do the ratl thing when folded in, could not fig out what it was when first encountered. :ear
  12. plumbtired

plumbtired plunging into the farkle

Oddometer:
    Sorry Moto for late response, looks like brake would be fine but clutch switch might interfere with the guards.
  13. Verrot

Verrot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think the view provided with these is better than the OEM's. (on the SE anyway) With the OEM's I couldn't see behind me without tucking elbows, and I could not see to the 3 and 9 positon without a significant turn of my head. With the HDB's I can set the mirrors to see from directly behind me, to just about where my peripheral vision kicks in. Only a very slight head turn is needed ,if any at all.

Granted,,, the size of the OEM's lets you get a bit more detail in the view,,, i.e. you can tell who is in the car next to you with the OEM's,,, with the HDB's you will only be able to tell there is a red Altima next to you,,, but the range of vision more than makes up for the detail lost IMO.

Another note with this set up. I thought I had very minimal vibes in the handlebars before I installed them,,, and I still think it was minimal,,, but after I installed a set of the HDB's, the little bit of vibes turned into NO vibes. I wasn't ready for that,, but when you see how these things clamp down,,, it kinda makes sense.:lol3
  14. bairesman

bairesman Road warrior

Oddometer:
    Seem like a must have, next on my list...
  15. roundtripping

roundtripping Adventourist

Oddometer:
    Has anyone run into any issues with the guards reducing the turn angle? Mine are hitting the fairings at full swivel cutting it down by about 5 degrees on each side... I have them installed on ProTaper bars with a Scotts damper.
  16. The Bigfella

The Bigfella Big Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sheesh... read the whole thread, put together a $260 order.... and they want $272.28 for freight. WTF?

I've bought well over $10k of bike, camping, boat and car parts from a wide range of sources in the USA over the last 5 years. Well over.... and no-one has tried to screw me over like this before.

The most I've ever paid for freight is $80 - for a full set of 4 car suspension springs.
  17. goatdog

goatdog PTO

Oddometer:

I don't know exactly where you are located in New Zealand but I just did a quick time and cost on UPS and it came out pretty close to what you got. I also looked at USPS International (US postal) and it looks like it would be closer to $56.00.

I would give HDB's a call and see if he is willing to ship USPS.

It's not their fault what the shipper charges and UPS is probably just a default in their system as a preffered shipper.
    The guards are the best in my opinion and they are good people at HDB.
  18. The Bigfella

The Bigfella Big Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in Australia btw, not New Zealand. Last thing I got via UPS was $47 - similar physical sized order.

I've left a comment on their website. My blood might have stopped boiling by the time they respond.
  19. unaweep

Oddometer:
    Dude- Highway dirtbikes IS NOT trying to screw you on shipping. Something's amiss. Figure it out and enjoy your guards. Then, hopefully you'll consider modifying your prior post. I'd say it's a bit unfair to rip on the guy before you even ask him what's up with shipping. Chill.:norton
  20. goatdog

goatdog PTO

Oddometer:
    :thumb