Review: Highway Dirtbikes "big bike" kit for the 950.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Geek, Feb 18, 2010.

1. roundtripping

roundtripping Adventourist

Oddometer:
    I know the Scotts is this way, but I'm not sure about other brands.
  2. TheRobG

TheRobG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well the inevitable happened. My bike jumped off it's unnecessarily long side-stand in the garage this morning and tore my right mirror clean off, threads and all. Thankfully it broke outside of the brake reservoir but with the threads half missing, there is no way for me to use a replacement mirror without first replacing the entire reservoir. I remembered seeing this review and liking the system so I guess I will give these a shot. I feel like I should finally attend to that sidestand too.... Maybe once my wallet recovers. It is still crying over the clutch rebuild. I guess I will just destroy everything at once and get it out of the way.
  3. Tijuana_Taxi

Tijuana_Taxi Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't go wrong with the HDB setup, both functional and improves the looks of the ADV without the "Mickey Mouse Ears" mirrors. I love my HDB setup but if the rest of your reservoir is ok you can just get this and use the regular mirror.

http://ktmtwins.com/950adventure/58012040050.html
  4. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    Thats what I have on my bike. I have a set of Neduro AdvMirrors for my 450EXC One nice thing about them is that it's a 30 second swap. So I'm thinking of getting a couple of 10mm ram ball mounts for the 950. I'm not sold on the HDB bar end mirrors for a big bike. I like the mirrors up at eye level.
  5. TheRobG

TheRobG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I will have to look at the ram mount mirrors again. The only thing I don't like about the HDB setup is having that glass right by my hands. While it isn't likely to get broken, I don't like the thought of slipping off the grips and that being whats there to catch me.
  6. rc mad

rc mad Physycotic gecko

Oddometer:

I had the same shock when i purchased my setup from paul, a quick email and everything was sorted via usps, much cheaper.

Pul's a top fella and is not out to screw you :lol3
  7. JOHNY_S

JOHNY_S n00b

Oddometer:
    Same here, for a total of $215, the delivery cost was $210. A message to Paul was enough, the package is on its way (Greece) for $45 ...
  8. GlobalTech

GlobalTech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ordered my HDB Hand Guards (KTM 990) from Paul last week, he's extremely accomodating. Sorted the postage out to the UK no problem.

Also, I had two special requests, 1) New SX style top mount (no switch/power outlet holes) as I fit a SW-Motech GPS mount over it, 2) Kaoko throttle mod.

He sorted both of them and sent me drawings of the Kaoka mod needed to work with the Ultimate install.

I have nothing but praise the guy's service and hope he continues to do well :clap
  9. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    +1 for Paul,
    the customer service has been phenomenal and I have a shinny new set coming to Canada for like $12 USPS
    Can't wait :clap
  10. sombreroisland

sombreroisland Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have an email address of Paul you can PM me? I've been trying to send him email on his web page's contact us regarding an inquiry for his handguards but can't seem to get a reply for him...

I've been wanting to get a pair for my ktm se 950 but am having a hard time finding the right measurements when mounted for scott stabilizers...

Thanks,

Bing
  11. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    Whats on the website is the only e-mail I'm aware of. You can also try PM'ing him here (theantipaul). It's a one man operation so possible he is out of town etc. Also, I have found that you are kinda on your own for measurements, I was surprised, I assumed he would know measurements etc and be able to confirm.
  12. sombreroisland

sombreroisland Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks crazybrit....anyone got some measurements for the top clamp for a scott's stabilizer? I think my measurements came in at 93mm x 33mm which isn't a standard option on the website but I doubt that my measurements aren't standard though...wanted a second opinion before i make a purchase...
  13. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    Bing, PM sent. Thanks for the emails letting me know about this guys. I've been working on the site and have screwed up the contact page, was wondering why a haven't heard from it in a few days.

CrazyBrit, I have templates now that you can print out to scale, but I'm working on a table of common sizes with any know issues, it's something I've been asked about a lot and will cut down on the confusion.

While I'm working on the site, anyone have any suggestions to make ordering easier/clearer/better? Please PM me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks, Paul
  14. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    I recommend a check box during check out:

"Do you know Geek?"

and for every person that checks that box you owe me a beer you hoser :ksteve :D

:freaky
  15. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
  16. GlobalTech

GlobalTech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine arrived today....they do like nice, I went for the black annodise finish and SX top mount. Was intending to fit them this weekend but the UK dist for Kaoko sent me the Superduke throttle lock (KTM100) in error and the KTM Adv one's now on back order! Although he did agree to send both the KTMAdv and KTMBAdv throttle locks for me to try....anyone know what's easier to fit. HDB mentioned cutting the standard KTMAdv one, not sure if the B version is different (haven't see a pic!)
  17. bairesman

bairesman Road warrior

Oddometer:
    Hi there, I am trying to figure out whether the lower clamp bolt on the stock KTM should be 10 or 12mm. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Martin
  18. xdbx

xdbx Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    Here are some comparison shots of my new HDB guards alongside the Doubletake Mirrors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the rider's eye level.

[​IMG]

Yup, blurry as usual. iPhone's are great, but leave some to be desired in low light. :baldy Put me on your payroll and I'll dig out my dSLR. :thumb
  19. sven520

sven520 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an RTT stabilizer with a two inch riser. Its not slanted back like the stock triple clamps.Hitting the fairing big time. Rolled the bars back towards the seat, no help still hits the fairing. Using the stock KTM bars made by Renthal. Its a 05.5 950. Maybe some taller bars with more pullback will help.
    I'll order some from Paul tomorrow. Thanks for the help I never noticed the
    difference between the stock triple clamps and the RTT's .
  20. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer: