REVIEW: Klaus Mueller's Australian Trail Tours in the high country

Discussion in 'Australia' started by B1, Jun 9, 2018.

1. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don’t work real well in that environment do I, lol!
  2. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    You’ll be fine once you have recovered. You rode the 690 brilliant with a dicky hip. You may start pulling to left a bit more but I’m sure you’ll compensate.
    bigborett likes this.
  3. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wasn’t Klaus a member of the Victorian Police Force? :hmmmmm
  4. ktmgeoff

ktmgeoff Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer:
    Western Creek Tasmania ( sold the farmand moved)
    In the Highway Patrol is my guess...
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  5. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    Yeah I think he was. Certainly a member of the Vic Police Motorsports Club, they are the ones that used to put on the Blue Light Rally.
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  6. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems like an OK bloke in this vid - kind to animals, cracking a few jokes, considerate of others out in the bush

Hard to know whether to come down on him for the lack of support vehicle and comms - depends what was promised, or what punters were led to believe - or what they bothered to ask - same goes for the trails - did he claim to be doing singletrack? - if he did, OK to be pissed off I guess

The bike dragging incident doesn't sound that flash - but what were the circumstances? - did he ask that people chain their bike to the back of his trailer? - if so, cane him - if not, understandable that he might not check that before driving off - if someone decided to chain their bike to my trailer, don't think I'd be too keen to pay for whatever damage came from me not realising ...

Read somewhere (can't find it again now) a bit more about the food throwing - conjures up images of a lunatic throwing plates and smearing shit on walls - but I think he just tossed an orange at someone ... not really a cardinal sin ... serious harm unlikely, even to the orange ...

A lot of the stuff on DBW and similar reads to me like spoilt duckheads who don't like being pulled up or told what to do

All that notwithstanding, B1 is our most trusted reviewer

Hard to know

Maybe Klaus should run next year's KTM rally ...
  7. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente #501 Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    :rofl:clap:imaposer

Excerpt from the subsequent DBW Review:

"... and not only was it dusty... and there were flies and it was too ferking hot... but the cranky ol' cahnt made us scrape off our plates after dinner...

... only to wake up the next morning and find that some crazy bastard had chained all our swags to the semitrailer and dragged us through our own shit...!!! :cry

... I wanna' refund on the Yuendemu tittie bar show also... it wasn't all it was cracked up to be...! :bluduh
    Oldfatbeerman and bigborett like this.
  8. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    I've tried hard to be objective in this review even though I had to hand back a damaged loan bike with no compensation, Hoots.
    I think he's been slack about the comms and support. No mention of this in the initial info, you are only told five minutes before you head off. He runs the cheapest tours, he should explain why up front. :(
    Bike dragging? Klaus was right next to us and watching each time we locked the bikes to his trailer, and other guys were locking to nearby posts. So he was fine with it but says he just forgot.
    Only one food throwing incident reported, but quite a few other guys I chatted with said he would throw any nearby object at someone if he didn't like what they said. Doesn't seem to do it nowadays though.
    Hoots likes this.
  9. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    So you've done the Cambodia tour and the High country tour now (and others I've no doubt forgotten), as well as coaching gigs in Canukistan, which leads me to wonder has this been research and you're going to run some of your own in our fine backyard?
  10. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    Did this guy ever do tours up Cape York? In 2011 I am sure I met a younger version of him leading a group of riders on the Telegraph track riding DRZ400s to the tip. I was coming south on my Burgman just north of Elliot Falls. I got him to video me on one of the creek crossings and he had a very strong German accent and a fine teutonic moustache. :D
  11. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can argue he's doing the right thing by avoiding single track - Klaus managed stay on the good side of the dept of multiple name changes for decades by only riding on trails that were open / avoiding illegal single line / changing his routes when the weather turned nasty etc. I remember him on the phone to the dept first thing in the morning after some unexpected snow - trying to negotiate a route between dinner plain and thredbo that was acceptable to the dept. ( they got it wrong and we had a ball)

The epirb / sat phone thing is a hard call, it's like carrying tools / tubes etc - if you want it then carry it yourself or pay for a tour that advertises that service. Go the full roadside assist , butt massage blister management if you like. Sure, you can argue that duty of care now includes all of the above, but good luck arguing that with a guy who's been running dirt bike tours for 40 + years and has very definite views on personal responsibility. Not sure I'd want to be the tour operator standing up at the coroners court explaining why I didn't have a $200 plb....but we all have different views.
    Mouse and Hoots like this.
  12. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    So ok Im a tad lost here - Its not a Registered Business, no insurances etc etc - How do you pay him? - Cash in hand? - Tax man ?
  13. ToriMish

ToriMish Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is this true? He is operating a commercial 'tour' company without any Parks Victoria permit and insurance? Super dodgy. I have run a licenced tour business for just shy of two decades and look dimly upon cowboy operators.

Expecting payment for tour services, while operating illegally through public land, indicates a complete lack of professionalism.
    Adventcha UnCut and AUSSIEADV like this.
  14. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    I tend to doubt that this is the case, he has been running these tours for a long, long time, have to be 30 years plus and not from the shadows either.
    If he has gotten away with that for that many years he would be a very lucky man I reckon. He would have been dobbed in multiple times I would say if that was the case.
    As Dr AT said also, he has stayed on the good side of Parks and the various iterations for years. So I would be guessing that everything would be in place.

EDIT:- Make that 38 years.
    ToriMish likes this.
  15. ToriMish

ToriMish Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah good point Andrew, it did sound a bit incredible.
  16. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whats with the tag thingies at the top of the page?
  17. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's basucally advertising for if you want max google hits to push your product / agenda ...
    Dean Ohlin likes this.
  18. Brute

Brute Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer:
    Amazing that he`s still doing it at his age . He was one of the original tour operators when there were no epirbs , mobile phones etc . I`ve never done a tour with him but I did one in 1982 with Murray Crawford from outback motorbike safari`s . Murray was doing tours to the tip and across the Simpson back in the seventies .
  19. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    Gee your old Bruce.
  20. Brute

Brute Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer:
    Yer I thought I was nearly finished , but if Klaus is doing it in his mid seventies I`ve got plenty of time .
    bigborett likes this.