REVIEW: Klaus Mueller's Australian Trail Tours in the high country

Discussion in 'Australia' started by B1, Jun 9, 2018.

1. JMick

JMick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm all for personal responsibility, but that's a personal view. What really matters is how much care and responsibility for a customer's safety a court of law rules that a tour operator should take if the shit should hit the fan and an injured punter decides to sue. What you, Klaus and I believe matters diddly squat. Anyone running a business where they are responsible for other people's safety who doesn't: A. Take all precautions to ensure the safety of staff and customers, B. Write risk assessments for all activities and C. Document how risks are managed is playing Russian roulette with more than one round in the revolver. I'd be less worried about the Coroner's court than the proliferation of "No Win, No Fee" litigation law firms. Don't need to kill anyone, a permanent disability claim would be enough to bankrupt a small business if it could be shown that there was neglect.

Mick
    B1, BergDonk, Mouse and 1 other person like this.
  2. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    One would have to wonder if there is that much truth in what Klaus is telling his trail customers also. He may be giving the spiel about you need to be self sufficient and we're not carrying spares, tools or tubes, there is no epirb or sat phone, your on your own, to encourage them to be self sufficient. Not actually a bad thing.
    I did notice in the videos that his and his tail riders back packs were quite large, more in there than their own supplies for a single day. who knows what little secrets he is carrying around.
    B1, Hoots and Dr AT like this.
  3. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    Probably wouldn't matter if he had all his possessions in someone else's name...just saying. You can't get blood out of a stone

At the very least, and not expensive, he should be carrying an EPIRB/PLB or maybe a satellite phone imo. He'd be a right wally if he didn't
    B1 likes this.
  4. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Guys, keep it on topic..it is about his tour operating not his tax or fee paying..
    B1 and Big Willy like this.
  5. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    Should probably stop crucifying a bloke that is not on here to defend himself with no real evidence that I can see.
    DRjoe and Dean Ohlin like this.
  6. lurkin

lurkin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well , think I’ll give him a go next summer,, just old school paying a bloke to show you a few tracks , sounds good ,,,, as long as

Take your own epirb/spot thingo :nod

Keep your helmet on till all food dispensed :nod

And lastly but not least

DON’T let the basterd tie your bike up to his trailer :nod

I’ll report back,,, sometime :jkam
    Oldfatbeerman, Hoots and bigborett like this.
  7. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    Don't really think it is up to us to judge his financial goings on.
    We could be affecting his income for no good reason.
    B1, glitch_oz and Hoots like this.
  8. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I can feel a thread clean coming on
    glitch_oz and BygDaddee like this.
  9. lentil

lentil All round nice guy Super Moderator

Oddometer:

So can I :D

Please keep it on track and if you don't have constructive criticism to leave please don't bother. #Iheartthreadbans
    Dukehunt likes this.
  10. Dean Ohlin

Dean Ohlin Inner City Elite

Oddometer:
    So, the post from the bloke that claims to have proof about non payment of taxes etc is deemed ok?
    Big Willy and GodSilla like this.
  11. lentil

Oddometer:
    I swear you blokes just like a whinge some times. I had a cursory glance and tidied it up on my phone while doing a million other things at work

Why don't you go and find something constructive to do - maybe read a New Idea Magazine

If you have a problem with a post Report it and we will deal with it - otherwise don't block up a thread with whiney crap.

TIA
    Blakduk, B1 and Farmer Roy like this.
  12. Dean Ohlin

Dean Ohlin Inner City Elite

Oddometer:
    Get fucked
    Big Willy likes this.
  13. lentil

Oddometer:

Thanks for the constructive feedback and the delightful message via PM , really makes you appreciate the volunteer time :D
    B1, OzRider64, Farmer Roy and 2 others like this.
  14. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler

Oddometer:
    Looks like Dean Ohlin has suffered a TKO in the running for the new mod!!!:D
  15. GRAVELMAN

GRAVELMAN Gravel surfer

Oddometer:
    Klaus runs a basic tour with great accommodation and 2 course meals every night and a full breakfast too.Yes you pay a premium but that's for his knowledge ,his tail man and car to carry your bag. Ive done 3 rides with him over 30 years and besides his know it all attitude hes a fair bloke.
    As for the trailer and bike incident it was around a car park at Thredbo less than 100 meters not down the road it was drizzling and with fog and he says he didnt know they were chained on to his trailer it was a shitty accident.
    im considering another ride in the future his ride to Dartmouth is excellent and yes on his 5 day to Thredbo there are long transit sections due to National Parks access.if you want 5 stars go with another operator no problems.
    B1 and BygDaddee like this.
  16. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    Was wondering when you would reply Klaus :D
    racca, AUSSIEADV, B1 and 7 others like this.
  17. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Less than 100 meters through a car Park? That makes all the difference. It’s not how a trail bike looks anyway it’s how it rides aye!

It still baffles me why you’d bother. The accom is the same if you stay at the pubs or motels etc. I usually stay out in a camp ground somewhere and mostly ride alone.

Do your own thing by yourself or mates. Get together and get a plan happening. Even a loose one. GPS’s/phones, maps, compass. You don’t need anyone to carry your gear, geez the stuff is that light and compact these days. Imagine the gear you could buy just from the amount you’d pay to follow one of these groups!

Taking time off work and paying someone else your good hard earned income to be told what to do and where to go just doesn’t add up to me. Ok it’s others idea of a good time I spose otherwise there wouldn’t be any such thing as tour companies. Is it a lack of confidence to do your own thing? Security?

Sorry but my belief is the true adventure is doing your own thing. It’s not a difficult thing to do.
    Wodger63, B1 and darren70 like this.
  18. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    His trips used to be cheaper than you'd be paying for the same level of accomodation / food etc , and they were cheaper than I was able to negotiate group bookings for rides I was organising through the same country. This was back when the ski ressorts were dead out of season so they were probably willing to discount heavilly for his repeat custom? He also used to get BETTER meals at dinner plains than we could negotiate - the resteraunt owner had a similar accent?

There's also something nice about being able to just rock up with no pre planning / responsibility and see new country, especially if you have a group to cater for. I get a lot more enjoyment out of doing my own research / exploring etc. when travelling solo or with my core group of mates, but I've run more than enough large group rides to recognise it's an absolute pita to get 30 people through several days of high country travel without at least one whinger spoiling things for everyone. ( or at least spoiling things for me, which eventually led to me no longer running group rides) . Rant time....don't frkn do billy goats in winter then whinge if you drop your bike, and if the lead rider suggests leaving the panniers at home don't frkn whinge when you bend them in a crash, and if you decide mid way through a group ride that you want to go somewhere else, don't frkn leave the ride organiser to cover your accomodation costs.....THAT is why it makes sense to use a tour agent some times?
    B1, Mouse, bigborett and 1 other person like this.
  19. Blakduk

Blakduk Just trying to get by.

Oddometer:
    But of course @AUSSIEADV , you don't like anyone to have different opinion to you.
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  20. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    I couldn't organise my way out of a paper bag, Cuttlefish lol. I don't know if you remember a guy called Strummer? He was good at that stuff and I used to help him organise free adventure/dirt rides for a few years but that's about my limit. And the coaching stuff in Canada is just to repay Traction eRag for paying my airfares and housing me....