Review of 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by leafman60, Jul 1, 2012.

  1. MoToad

    MoToad Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Oddometer:
    937
    Location:
    Nelson BC, fer now.
    Interesting. About the seat. That's pretty well what pyoungbl said. He said he was hoping to do a 1000mile a day run.:eek1 I told him to act his age.:rofl But seriously folks. Having come from five years on a butt numbing F800GS I am loving the comfort this bike affords. Then again I'm a 300 mile a day guy. Max. :1drink
  2. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    :lol3 :thumb

    I'm with you Toad. 300-350 miles is all I want to do in a day, mainly because I like to take back roads to SEE things, and literally to stop and smell the flowers. 500+ mile days means you're doing very little, if any of that. :nah IMO, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters most. :gerg

    -SM
  3. James Adams

    James Adams Long timer

    Joined:
    May 29, 2006
    Oddometer:
    16,970
    Location:
    Grand Junction
    I'm the same way--the stock seat is just not right for me. Granted, it's one of the better stock seats I've experienced, but I'm planning on a Russell (or Corbin, if they decide to make one) in the next year or so.

    I know that people tend to be pretty polarized about Corbin saddles; I've had several on different bikes and they've worked well for me. However, for not too much more money, the Russell seems like the one to get.
  4. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    I bought an AirHawk about 3 bikes ago from someone who got one and didn't like it. Paid $80 and it looked brand new. 30,000 miles later, I just replaced the cover because it was looking a bit ragged, and it's good to go another 30k. As long as you don't put too much air in them, they work great IMO, and best of all, they'll work on any bike. :thumb Just my 2 cents.... :D

    -SM
  5. Blakebird

    Blakebird ran when parked

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2004
    Oddometer:
    29,034
    Location:
    Las Cruces, NM
    There's times when you want to get from Denver to Vegas in winter (requires the southern route in lieu of the Rockies) - and need to bang it out in a day...because that's where the scenic ride starts and you're meeting your buddies.
    I've done the Denver/ABQ/Flagstaff/Kingman trek so many times there's precious little I want to see on the way. I just want to make that part disappear in my mirrors.

    The NTX is comfy for me as is to do 500-800 mile days or more. An aftermarket seat is a possibility, but not a requirement - a nice change.
  6. Blakebird

    Blakebird ran when parked

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2004
    Oddometer:
    29,034
    Location:
    Las Cruces, NM
    you should give Steve Gowing (Ft. Collins) a call about redoing your seat when you're ready
  7. WitchCityBallabio

    WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2008
    Oddometer:
    2,541
    Location:
    Wales, Massachusetts
    Also consider an Alaska Leather seat pad. I put one of for the cross country trip and as good as I find the Stelvio seat, the pad made a huge difference. I had multiple 700+ mile days and was comfortable the whole time.
  8. Ham

    Ham Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2004
    Oddometer:
    962
    Location:
    Montana
    Just out of habit put my Alaska seat pad on and found I was much more uncomfortable after a fair amount of time compared to just the regular seat. I find this seat 300% more comfy than my Dakar.
  9. James Adams

    James Adams Long timer

    Joined:
    May 29, 2006
    Oddometer:
    16,970
    Location:
    Grand Junction
    I do have an Airhawk R for the Stelvio and it does work well, but it's still not up to the comfort level (for me) of the Corbins that I've had in the past.

    However, the Rox risers that I installed last night will change my seating position so I'm not leaning forward as much; the Airhawk will work better that way too.
  10. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Ditto. I installed 2 1/4" ROX risers on my bike about a month ago, and now it's super comfy. I can get back on the seat more and still be perfectly upright with zero forward lean, so no pressure on my wrists/hands. :thumb This has the added benefit of moving my left knee far enough away from the left cylinder that I don't feel any heat from it, even in 100 degree heat.

    -SM
  11. num1husker

    num1husker Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2011
    Oddometer:
    227
    Location:
    Cali
    Can you give me the model number Fox risers you used? Also did you have to re-route any cables?
    thanks for your post
  12. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    I used these:

    2 1/4" Rise x 1 1/8" Stem Clamp x 1 1/8" Dual Sport Motorcycle Anti-Vibration Handlebar Risers (1R-AV2PP)
    $163.00

    But these will also work:

    Clear Anodized 2" Rise x 1 1/8" Stem Clamp x 1 1/8" Handlebar Dual Sport Pivoting Risers (1R-P2PPA)
    $87.00

    And yes, I did have to reroute some cables, specifically the throttle cables and front brake line. To do that I removed the top plate, but another inmate simply disconnected the throttle cables and the front brake reservoir and snaked them through the forks and reattached them. Given what a PITA it was to 1) source a 14mm hex socket and 2) remove the hex bolts holding the top plate in place, I think his solution was likely the easier and simpler one. Had I known I wouldn't need to reroute my switchgear wiring, I probably would have done the same thing he did and saved myself some aggravation..... :shog

    -SM
  13. num1husker

    num1husker Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2011
    Oddometer:
    227
    Location:
    Cali
    did the anti-vibration models help mitigate some of the vibs coming through the bars?

    thanks again for all the information, it's nice not having to reinvent the wheel and have people like yourself step up to help others along like myself.

    jr
  14. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Honestly I don't really think they made THAT much of a difference. I don't find the vibes from the big twins to be that annoying, but I thought I'd give these a try just for the heck of it. I've used the other ones (solid mount) on other bikes with great success, so I just wanted to give them a go. If the vibes bug you, they're probably worth a try as they're "tuneable" (you can turn a nut that makes the mounting more or less rigid), but I haven't messed with mine yet. Overall I really like them just for the amount of rise and pullback they provide.

    Happy to "give back" to this nuthouse. doG knows I've gleaned a lot of useful bits from others here over the years. :thumb

    -SM
  15. James Adams

    James Adams Long timer

    Joined:
    May 29, 2006
    Oddometer:
    16,970
    Location:
    Grand Junction
    I used the 2" risers above; the local shop had them for $65. I didn't have to reroute cables, but I have the risers angled to only raise the bars, not to bring them any closer to the seat. If I angled them back more, I'd have to reroute the throttle cable first, then maybe some other stuff.

    It's important to note that the bars on the Stelvio are 1-1/8" (or the metric equivalent) at the clamps, so if you're buying risers, make sure they're marked as such or marked for dirtbike "fat bars". Other common sizes are 7/8" and 1".

    Vibration from the Guzzi--if any--goes unnoticed by me. As long as it doesn't buzz like an inline 4, my hands are happy. :deal
  16. Ham

    Ham Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2004
    Oddometer:
    962
    Location:
    Montana
    Well after all connections redone I did find it ran fine and all the warning lights left but no headlights....come to find out it blew a 40amp fuse under the seat. Replaced and now all is well. Voltmeter says 12.3 while running in the shop.

    Put about 1/2 inch worth of rubber spacers in the top of the windshield to increase the angle to see if I can lift the air over the helmet, if not it will be time for a Cal Sci. This method worked well with my Cbailey on my Dakar....now I need some warmish weather without ice....first snow hit here in Montana.
  17. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Good to hear.

    Not to nit pick, but I think the headlight fuse is 30A, not 40 (I just replaced mine when my left aux light shorted and took out my lights).

    -SM
  18. James Adams

    James Adams Long timer

    Joined:
    May 29, 2006
    Oddometer:
    16,970
    Location:
    Grand Junction
    I got the CalSci "NTX Medium" screen and although it is effective, it is also significantly larger than the stock screen--much larger than I expected.
  19. Ham

    Ham Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2004
    Oddometer:
    962
    Location:
    Montana
    Yes I just got back on here and noticed I put 40, I meant 30. I went out yesterday and bought a pastle of all the different sizes and dumped them into the tool bag.

    It is supposed to warm up to 60 this week so I might get to get back at it. On my Dakar even with the high CBailey the air kept hitting the top of my helmet so I straigtened it with spacers and, improtantly, also raised the bottom half about 1/2 half an inch from the cowl letting air pass a bit below and that was the cat's meow. I would like to make this screen work as I like the looks.
  20. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get this:

    [​IMG]

    I can raise it up in the cooler weather, and lower it (or remove it as I'd go for the clamp-on version) in the summer. Like you, I like the looks, size, shape, etc of the stock screen and just need a weeeee bit more height to be buffet free on those long, fast blasts down the road, and don't want to buy something aftermarket for $250+, so this might be my solution.....

    -SM