Review of 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by leafman60, Jul 1, 2012.

1. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd agree, if you want zero vibes then a 6 cyl is about your only choice. but...... a nice 90 deg V-twin has some sweet spots where it's nearly vibe free.

Well..... I went back to the local shop and talked to a more senior sales person plus I showed up on the Strom with the wife. I was able to take a short (~7 mile) test ride on the 2012 they had. It's a "new" bike, the Odo showed less than 20 something miles on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm REALLY glad I got the chance to ride this bike. It is substantially better than the 2009 I rode. Maybe part of that is proper setup, part upgraded specs, etc... but this is a bike I could own, for sure. The "thudding" through the bars was almost none existent and there was definitely more bottom end torque. Compared to my Strom it idles vibey but after that it's very similar in vibes, I'd say smoother in the upper reaches of the rev band. My wife rode with me and she said it felt smoother than the Strom to her. She also liked the wider seat, otherwise her comment was it was very similar feeling from a passenger's view point. She really liked the bike, very dangerous....

I did notice the heat from the left cylinder, the extra inch or so of space between the left and right side seems to make a difference, it reminded me of riding my old Airhead BMW, kinda nice in cold weather. I only noticed it when were were dawdling along on city streets. Out on the freeway I didn't notice it.

I was a little surprised at the first gear ratio, it was higher than I thought it might be based on what's been written here. I think it could be a little lower still, it's definitely geared tall overall, should be good for those high speed runs through the desert :evil

The brakes have more bite than the Strom, I had to pay attention to not apply too much and slam her into me.

I did notice what SM mentioned about it being a little cold blooded at the start, very much like an old carb'd bike. This kinda surprised me as most FI bikes don't do that cuz EPA doesn't regulate the start up. Once it was up to temperature I didn't notice any errant fueling, I suspect it could be a little crisper off the bottom with some mapping but I think it's more than refined enough for me. I wouldn't go running to have a remap right away .... if ever. It's much better than the stock map in my Strom.

The view from the riders position around the tank area is very similar to the Strom, nearly the same tank width and contours and then it tapers smaller as you view forward. It doesn't have the large area surrounding the dash like the Strom, I like that better, it gives you a better view of the road. Wind flow seemed pretty good, I didn't notice any major buffeting, a relief. But it was a short ride so I didn't get to really test that out behind some trucks etc. I wonder how different it feels with a full tank of gas? Any comments about that from you owners? The fuel light was flashing on my so I'm guessing it was pretty dang low. Yet when I shook the bike side to side it sounded like quite a bit of fuel was in it.

I have mixed emotions about the OEM luggage. It's REALLY wide with the racks they used and I'm not sure if I like those boxes better than my Happy Trails boxes or not, they don't seem as sturdy but close in size I think. I kinda wish you could buy the bike without the luggage and deduct the price so I could choose my own options there. I think the rest is just fine, I like the skid plate and engine protection bars. The extra lights are nice but I'd leave them off if it saved some $$$. I think the stock twin headlights would be sufficient for me.

I think it would definitely come down to either the Stelvio or the Tenere and I'm leaning towards the Stelvio. I certainly liked the more direct throttle control better and I like the feel of the engine better, both in "feel" and powerband. The Tenere is kinda flat above about 6k rpm while the Guzzi keeps on going. The mid range seemed pretty similar. It's kinda hard to judge from idle to say 3k rpm because the Tenere's electronics mucks about with the response so you're not really getting what you expect to get, stupid. I think the Stelvio appears less bulky from the riders view, very similar to the Tiger 800XC. I like the fact that there's no radiator on the side if the bike tips over. At least the radiator on my Strom is fairly protected even without any bars.

The service work is definitely easier than on the Strom. I miss my old BMW for that.

The bottom line, I think a 2012+ Stelvio may very well end up in the garage some time in the maybe not too distant future.
  2. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Hummmm, notice anything different? Btw, mine is a 2013 model.
  3. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    They changed the plastic coloring below the headlight.

Am I missing anything else?
  4. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    He has the European turn signal kit and different mirrors.
  5. stevie99

Oddometer:
    This.:clap

I think I prefer the extra orange of the bike you tried out.
  6. stevie99

Oddometer:
    True, but everyone needs these.:deal
  7. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree. I'd consider painting the black parts to match if I got a '13.

I need to look closer at the Euro mirrors & turn signals. Got a close up of them?

Are there any other changes from '12 to '13? The dealer said no changes.

What do you guys think of the OEM luggage?
  8. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

the 'cold bloodedness' you felt at startup could very well be the TBS synch, and the heat you felt at the left cylinder will only be noticeable around town until you get some break-in miles on the motor...

I don't ride with the panniers on as a daily rider, but they are on for long road trips and they work great.

The wife joined me for a 5,200 mile trip last August and said the bike was more comfortable than any of the other bikes I've had that I bought with two-up touring in mind (GL1800, ST1300, FJR)

[​IMG]
  9. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the photo, I see the difference in mirrors and turn signals, much nicer.

The heat thing doesn't bother me and I'd agree, I only felt it going slow around town.

I do the same with the HT boxes on my Vee. I only put them on for longer rides. I do my daily riding with the top box and tank bag only. What top box do you have? I couldn't quite make it out the photo. I'm planning on keeping my Givi E45 and mounting it on the Guzzi.

I found this photo of a Stelvio with the E45 in another thread.

[​IMG]

I have the SW-Motech quick detach racks and would prefer to use those again as it's nice to be able to pull them off quickly. I don't see any available from Twisted Throttle and didn't turn up any with a quick google search.

Any comments on a tank bag? I don't know if my Wolfman Explorer Lite will fit or not. I like the bag and hope it can be made to work.

My wife was very happy with the comfort and ride in the back, two thumbs up from her. So far her favorites have been the Vstrom and the Tenere for passenger accommodations. She didn't like the FJR which surprised me and was "so - so" about the Concours 14 we tried.
  10. RefJeff

RefJeff Is it Friday yet?

Oddometer:
    A point to consider, check the service prices for those bikes that will require body parts to be removed. FJR and Concours fall into that category. Tenere and Triumph will also.
  11. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ease of service is definitely on the list I do my own work and the Strom is not the easiest bike to work on. The KTM 990 was quickly taken off the list after studying the service routine.

The Connie & FJR already got elliminated last year. The wife and I prefer the ADV bike format. I rode both twice at different times to make sure.

I swapped bikes with a friend who had a Connie 14 during a ride last year. I was happy to get back on the Strom. In fact another guy on the ride ended up buying a used Vee later after riding mine, now his other 4 bikes just sit in the garage.
  12. ADV24-7

ADV24-7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what dealers are asking on the Stelvios right now but I just listed mine up in the bikes for sale area.
    I'm in Orange County, so not too far.
  13. CajunRider

CajunRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would you mind getting her to explain what was more comfortable about the Guzzi over a GL1800??

I have a Valkyrie (GL1500C). If I can find a way to make the wife more comfy, I'll all ears.

More comfy for her means more bike rides for me!!!
  14. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    Givi B33, and it's hers. She likes having something behind her (a few long trips on a hard accelerating ZX-14 are likely responsible).
    I get the tankbag, she gets the topbox.

Wolfman Rainier is my favorite of the 6 or 7 tankbags I have, it stays on the NTX pretty much 24/7.

[​IMG]
  15. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    Size and shape of the seat, 100%.

She liked the Wing's seat ok.... she used to nod off back there on long trips. But the shape of the NTX seat is a better fit for her.
    Most bikes pillion seat slopes forward a bit (ST1300, FJR), this one is shaped perfectly so she can relax and not fight scooting forward all the time.
    It's also roomy - she doesn't like having my helmet right in her face.

Before our long trip, I picked up an Airhawk for her to try, and we brought a sheepskin covered medical gel pad that I've had for years and never use.
    She didn't need either.

I probably average 25k -30k miles a year, and she doesn't join me that often....a weekend overnighter here and there.
    This two week vacation last August was just our good luck that our work schedules meshed and let us do it.....'cause I was taking that trip with or without her. :lol3
  16. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    The FJR maintenance intervals (valve lash) are so far apart that body removal isn't much of a factor. I checked the valves first at 30k miles and they were in spec. I put in iridium plugs at 12k miles, and propping up the tank was all that was required there.

The Guzzi is a very maintenance friendly machine, but body removal isn't a huge issue on the FJR or ST1300.
  17. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:

I found the stock NTX seat to be okay but the Russell I replaced it with is spectacular. If you get one, allow some miles for it to "break-in."

[​IMG]
  18. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    A question for you owners.

How hard is it to turn off the ABC/TCS on the 2012+ Stelvio? Does it stay off when you shut down and restart? I suspect not but that sure would be nice.

Is there any place I can download the Owner's Manual to read up on it?
  19. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    ABS couldn't be easier.....press and hold a button on the dash.

ATC is a bit of a hunt through the menu system, but it's not horrible. If I remember correctly, just go into the setup menu and it's right there, no need to go digging any deeper.

And no, they don't stay off when you turn the bike off and on again, sadly. If you want/need that, then you need to wait for the (now) 2014 KTM 1190 and the optional "Pro" dongle that allows you to permanently disable those features.

-SM
  20. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ummm, I'm thinking the ATC stays off once you turn it off. But, the ABS resets and comes on after turning the bike off and on again.