Review of 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by leafman60, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Croak

Croak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody ever comment on how huge your cock is, Stevie? I'm assuming that's your giant rooster in the yard, apologies if not.

(Couldn't resist, sorry) :evil

[​IMG]
  2. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually that's my wife's cock....uh, I mean rooster.
  3. yazata

yazata Contra os canhões...

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  4. whysub

whysub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a V-Strom 1000 and a Guzzi 1200 Sport. The Strom I use as my "holiday" bike which I take to Europe 3 or 4 times a year-other than that it stays in the garage. It' s fine for what i use it form but it lacks something.

But my Guzzi I absolutely adore-I have owned many bikes but this is the only one I have had that I really enjoy riding. It puts a grin on my face every time I take it out and I have a great attachment to it. I don't use it for touring simply because i can't put luggage on it (well I can, but it destroys it's lines so much).

So here is my dilemma. I'd like a Stelvio to replace the Strom but that means it will have to be an 09 model. If I sell the Strom AND the Sport I could afford a '12 Stelvio. I won't miss the Strom (don't get me wrong, it's been a fanatastic bike) but I know I will miss the Sport. Will getting a '12 soften the blow of losing the Sport? I won't be getting the NTX as i don't need the side cases, and prefer cast wheels (I hate cleaning spokes)-one advantage of living in the UK I suppose.

The thing the Guzzi has that is missing from most bikes now is character. Some great reports and honestly written stuff in theis thread-spent well over an hour reading through it
    ridepjride likes this.
  5. hngngnthr

hngngnthr Geriatric degenerate

Oddometer:
    I thought spokes cleaned themselves? Find some puddles to ride through, you'll see. :freaky I guess I'm not very finicky when it comes to detailing/cleaning spokes. A few swipes with a soft brush.
  6. Dosher

Dosher n00b

Oddometer:
    That's a very good write up. I own a yamaha 900 diversion with 85,000 miles on the clock and no mechanical issues at all. I have been considering a change and have been looking at the BMW GS. What really puts me off are the numerous mechanical issues, especially for a so called mile eating adventure/tourer. On my way home from my European tour last year a Stelvio breezed past me and I liked the look of it. Got talking to the rider at a fuel stop and he also owned a Gs and had bought the Stelvio and loved it in comparison.

Think I'll go looking for a Stelvio.
  7. jknight611

jknight611 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought mine in Baton Rouge, the dealer is great, they are a BMW primarily and a Moto Guzzi not so primary. They have a LC1200GS and a Lava black Stelvio as demos, I rode both and and now am a Stelvio owner. Got the orange and it is just beautiful. I also have a 97 MG 1100 Sport (Spot) that has 62,000 miles and has been basically trouble free, so I am comfortable that the Stelvio will be in my stable for many years.

Jay on the South Coast
    13 Stelvio
    97 MG Sport
    06 GL1800
    09 KLR
    06 Ural Tourist

A guy needs his toys....
  8. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Road Runner Magazine, July/August 2013, page 52

Nice comparison article pitting the new Stelvio NTX against the Ducati Multistrada. The Ducati gets good marks for it's 150 hp and speed although the Stelvio acquits itself very well in that category. "Sure, on the open road the Multistrada will drop the Stelvio but you better have some 'Get out of Jail Free' cards in your wallet."
    They also say "...in the twisty stuff, the Stelvio can hang with the Multistrada from corner entry to mid corner..."

Road Runner pretty-much gets a bead on the situation when they say "the Multistrada has 'go-fast ' parts; the Stelvio has 'go far' parts." They continue, " (The Stelvio) will feel more at home sipping from its big tank while crossing wide open spaces, but it's surprisingly fun on the tight stuff." Also, "... the Stelvio can be pushed very rapidly and keep pace with the Ducati." The Ducati is lighter than the Stelvio but the Stelvio offsets that with its tires and design.

In addition to its performance capabilities, the Stelvio is given credit for its visceral appeal and overall simplicity when compared to the super-tech Ducati whose displays and settings "...requires cracking open the manual to understand...."

The article omits several key aspects of a test. They do not put the bikes through any off-road terrain where the Stelvio can shine. They also do not make specific mention except in their spec sheet that the Stelvio is $4000 less expensive than the Ducati. They also provide no long-term maintenance data that show relative costs of, say, a valve inspection service. When I test-rode a Multistrada, I was very reluctantly told that such service alone would be about $1000 for the Ducati.

I love Ducatis and I've had three of them. Comparing a Multistrada to a Stelvio, however, is little like apples to oranges.

This is a good write-up from a good magazine that is published out of North Carolina and is normally free from the California cycle press mentality.

Road Runner focuses on touring with great articles and pictures from cycle travels throughout the world. They provide tear-out maps of trips they describe in every issue.

[​IMG]
  9. Stromtrooper246

Stromtrooper246 Lost again

Oddometer:
    I've been pretty much reading everything I can on the new Stelvio along with whatever relevant YouTube videos are out there. Like another of the posters I am coming from a V-Strom DL1000. I bought mine in November of 2001 when they first hit the market. Actually, the one I got was used by Suzuki as a chase bike for a scooter roll-out and they guys at the dealership said it wasn't going to be a big seller so they let it go for $1000 under MSRP. :evil

I really liked the DL and miss it. Went to a ST1300 for a while but that was like riding a vanilla ice cream cone. But since I got my V11 Tenni I've fallen in love with that motor. That bike is the most fun to ride out of all the bikes I've owned or ridden. I love the feel and sound of that twin.

So I am pretty sure a new Stelvio will be in my future. Hopefully I will be getting a a look at a Lava 2013 next week.
  10. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Stelvio is a fine motorcycle but I, and others, have noticed the heat that emanates mostly from the left cylinder onto the rider's left leg. It's not that bad and simply letting your knee move away from the tank to allow cooling air to mix between the valve cover and your leg does wonders in hot weather. At one time, I thought I'd have an EFI reflash to richen the motor and I supposed that would greatly help with the heat issue. The bike runs so well, though, that I hate to mess with the EFI.
    Enter the new Norge. A well-known friend recently bought a new Norge and I've been studying the new shrouding around the cylinder heads. The scoops integrate with the other plastic bodywork and effectively manage any heat from the cylinders.

Pictures of Norge head scoops on the Norge.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I checked the parts fiche at my local Guzzi dealer and ordered two of the scoops at about $10 each for fitment on my Stelvio. They have arrived and I've attached them.

Plastic scoops from Norge. Part numbers 883629, 883630.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I used electrical P clamps and fabricated a few simply brackets to attach the scoops to my Stelvio engine guards and cylinder. I will post additional photos with more refinements and a better guide to how I attached the pieces. I will also post additional testing on how the scoops work. We are under terrible rains at present that prevent a good road test.

[​IMG]

Left side Stelvio with Norge scoop.
    [​IMG]
    ShimrMoon likes this.
  11. The Reg

The Reg n00b

Oddometer:
    I have recently bought a Stelvio 1200 (2012 8 Valve)

I had owned two BMW GS's previously and which I enjoyed (wish I still had the 1992 Dakar 1000)

Anyway, I started looking at late model used 1200 GS's and test rode a new Water Cooled model. I was looking at around $19000 (Aust Dollars) for a good low mileage oil cooled and around $27000 for a new 1200GS (not GSA) with all the high tech stuff.

The first thing I noticed was that the gear change on the new 1200 was more - let's say 'agricultural' then either of my previous GS's.

I happened to be near a Moto Guzzi dealer a few days later and dropped in to test ride a Stelvio NTX....I was impressed, and although I only wanted the standard model ( My desert and adventure riding days are behind me now)
    I felt this would fill all my current touring needs. And , at $17990 on the road it seemed a fair price.

I haven't put many K's on it yet, but have done one 1000 Kilometre weekend and can only say that I am very happy with my choice. I don't find the vibes at all intrusive and the ride is sublime. Handling is excellent and it likes good dirt roads (which is all I will need to cover) Fuel economy and therefore 'range' with the 32 litre tank is great the seat comfy!

The handlebars could probably use a slight curve back to the rider but a minor issue.

I am looking forward to some good times on this bike.

Cheers,

Paul.
    :beer
  12. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is pretty cool, thanks for the part numbers.

I was thinking of fabbing up something like this but Guzzi has already done it. The price is cheap so not much to loose if I don't like it. I would only use it in the summer, in the winter the extra heat is kinda nice :-))
  13. wait2b

wait2b Adventurer

Oddometer:
    seriously think about purchasing a 2009 moto guzzi stelvio comparing to
    2006 r1200 gs bmw. Trying to decide which one it will be and after reading the article, leaning towards moto guzzi need more convincing!!
  14. muddyjj

muddyjj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stelvio Riders,

I have a 2010 Stelvio that I purchased from European Motorsports in June of 2011. (Great folks and well worth the 600 mile trip for me to buy there again). I love the bike but I am considering trading it in on a 2014. The only thing holding me back is I am not sure I'll be getting enough bang for the buck. Would you consider the big tank model to be that much better than the 2010? How does the 2010 compare with the 2014? Are the improvements that much better as far as handling, comfort, and performance? Remember, unlike the 09, the 2010 does have the reworked cam for better torque curve. I know I would be giving up those 50mm forks and the glove box. (I do actually use the glove box for garage door opener, wallet etc).

I ride 80% of the time on paved roads but I live in a rural area just west of West Palm Beach and we have a lot of unpaved roads here. I often ride the Guzzi on them so my friends suggestion to buy a Harley is not practical. For the real technical stuff I use my 09 Kawasaki klx250.

Something I have to keep in mind is that if I keep the 2010 Guzzi I will have to drop about $1K for hard bags.

There is one other thing, has anyone heard of any major improvements for 2015? I read the article on the Stelvio spy pics...

I would really like to get some opinions.

15. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I appreciate all these reviews and comments. Im looking for new adv bike. All road with occasional dirt road. I really like the looks of the Stelvio. Ive wondered about performance on street. Im not interested in Wee Strom performance. GS is just too expensive. Explorer too ugly. I dont understand triumphs styling, or lack thereof. I had a 1050 Tiger and liked it, but I do understand the sewing machine comments about the motor.

Guess i need to drive over to Rider Hill in Dahlonega.
  16. WitchCityBallabio

WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer:
    Ride the Guzzi motor and you'll wonder why you haven't had them all along.

I don't think I've ever talked to anyone that took one for a test ride that didn't like it.

Best of luck with your search.
  17. Dust_

Dust_ Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer:
    True... I've tried all sort of bikes, But I keep dreaming about that Norge!!!
  18. ARiderX

ARiderX Long timer

Oddometer:
    I keep dreaming about this Stelvio. Value for money is insane compared to bone dry GS's. Bash plate standard, and the cases you get with the NTX are actually very decent according to the reviews. See, there's a brand that wants to give you value for money, and I appreciate that. Makes for happy customers. Instead of wringing every last dollar out of you with fancy option lists. GS is definitely forever off the table for now. Also don't like what I'm hearing about the reliability issues on the GS shaft drive, which from what I'm picking up is excellent on the guzzis.

Minimal maintenance, easy engine access, what else do you want. And hardcases and spoke wheels for the price of a standard no option GS. And an engine with LOADS MORE CHARACTER,

look at this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY_ekiTPsEA

Oh and I forget, insane 32L fuel capacity!! I did a long distance touring trip (Iran and such) on a ktm and had a range of a whopping 260 km on a good day. Just a lot of headache. And I see the exhaust is single sided so between the pannier and the bike on the other side you can fit an auxiliary fuel tank if need be!!
  19. Lee Davis

Lee Davis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been rebuilding loopframes for a while now and decided that I needed a new bike to ride. I arranged for a new Moto Guzzi V9 Roamer and flew down to El Paso, Texas to pick it up. While waiting on the showroom floor I spotted the new (2016) Stelvio NTX and just had to go sit on it. On many road trips I have always coveted the BMW GS, I guess because of the no-nonsense boxy panniers. I have owned 22 bikes in my time, from British thumpers to Harley Softails (2) and Sportsters, to BMW R1150rt's (2). Even had a Yamaha 250SR one time. But the new Stelvio really grabbed me. I went home on the V9 and thought about that other Guzzi overnight, then called the dealer and said I would take it (At $13,500, I could hardly resist). I only have 380 miles on it right now... the ride up from El Paso to home, and then the miles up to my Daughters wedding last Saturday. It was 102 degrees in Albuquerque, and I did not notice any heat issue that would make me mention it. My impression of the bike is WOW!, with no complaints whatsoever. My thought was to take the V9 on another Alaska trip this summer, but I am afraid that I I now have to tell her that I have found someone else.

Attached Files:

Dracula, bobw and Lupin 3rd like this.
  20. WitchCityBallabio

WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer:
    Congrats! If you think you like the Stelvio now, wait until you have 10,000 miles on it. It'll be a full on love affair.

:)