[Review] Oregon Scientific ATC2K Video Camera

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Squeaky, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Squeaky

Squeaky A Few Loose Screws...

Oddometer:
    After reading reviews from local dirt riders, I decided to splurge and buy a waterproof helmet/bar-mounted video camera. It's completely self-contained and requires no cords or cables. It works on SD memory cards and AA batteries.

Oregon Scientific ATC2K Waterproof Action Cam

I found it on sale at Amazon.com for $83.99, but I've heard better deals can be had if you look around.

[​IMG]

So far I've only had the opportunity to mount the camera on the grab rail in my truck with the bar-mount base. There's an alternate base that can be used with any of the included straps - one long one made of rubber to go around a helmet, one long velcro strap, and one smaller velcro strap.

[​IMG]

(Once I get my bike back I want to test the video quality and stabilization with different mounting points on both me and the bike.)

[​IMG]

It's very easy to use, but not all that intuitive with the display options. They're not difficult to understand, just difficult to read. They're tiny and all the way at the edge of the small LCD screen. It takes a little while to get used to how to go through the settings, but then you get the knack for it. It beeps once when you start recording and twice when you stop, so there aren't a lot of fancy beeping collaborations to remember when it's attached to the side of your head.

[​IMG]

The camera rotates in a tight ring that is on a clip. The clip slides in and out of either the bar mount base or the alternate base. The rotation seems to be able to handle almost all mounting positions and angles.

The difficult part of setting it up is that there's no viewfinder. When you get it mounted for the first time, you need to shoot quick clips and check them on the computer to know if you're aligned to the road/trail. Once in place, I would imagine the base can remain in place and the camera added or removed as needed without (much) further adjustment.

The technical mumbo jumbo:
    I was asked about the resolution options and loss of quality with compression, so I tested the following combinations. Judge for yourself.
    It says I'll get about an hour of footage out of a 2Gig SD card, so I might stick with Hi Rex and just get more cards to swap out.

Low Res Compressed = 160 x 120
    10 sec = 553 kb
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2468598886126014068&hl=en

Low Res Uncompressed = 160 x 120
    10 sec = 994 kb
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1320670274836753824&hl=en

Med Res Compressed = 320 x 240
    10 sec = 588 kb
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2414678454718045290&hl=en

Med Res Uncompressed = 320 x 240
    10 sec = 1436 kb
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7373352569633891925&hl=en

High Res Compressed = 640 x 480
    10 sec = 1272 kb
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-931017713724390180&hl=en

High Res Uncompressed = 640 x 480
    10 sec = 2962 kb
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5034020026812655833&hl=en
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    THanks for the review.. it certainly looks like a good option for those on a budget.. thanks for the details and the links. If you are ever able to post a link to something you recorded to show us the quality, that would be even better :thumb
  3. Squeaky

Oddometer:
  4. Lochlyn_Deckard

Lochlyn_Deckard Dex Moto(naut)

Oddometer:
    Great. Thanks for the review. I have been looking at this for a while.

I noticed that a large number of people use this for their YouTube clips. Doing a search for "ATC2K" brings back a lot of results.

Edit:

Nice review - www.webbikeworld.com/r4/oregon-scientific
  5. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    From what I saw when in the store and this was a while back so it might be wrong, but the clip lenght on this was pretty short. it did not allow for you to just fill the memory card it force shorter clips, meaning you had to stop and restart the recording.
    I am eager to see if that changed it was the reason I didn't buy the first time I saw it.
  6. Squeaky

Oddometer:
    The longest single clip I recorded so far was about a half hour at medium resolution. I did finally run it out to the end of the memory card, at which point it stopped the recording but kept the camera itself on (same as if I'd pressed the button to stop).
  7. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
  8. Sadlsor

Sadlsor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought one last year and used it on the Dakar - it mounted nicely on the turn signal stalk.

On my S, though, there isn't quite enough room, and the flexible stalk don't look like it would do well even if there was room (think Blair Witch Project.)

Need to find a nice on-bike mount point that's stable. Maybe the engine / frame guards once installed? I'd like to see where others have mounted. I don't like the idea of mounting on my helmet, arm, etc., because I'll be moving around on the bike. Helmet mount would be least desirable - it would be painful to view a clip as I turn my head.

But a nice low position makes for some cool shots when you have lots of tight turns with decent lean angles!
  9. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    will be worth considering again, I think the first version had the limited clip time. Need to get a big/fast mem card for that sucker!
  10. Sadlsor

Sadlsor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Problem with the bigger SD cards is that they get stuck and may not function in this particular camera. I think the 4gb is oh-so-much thicker, like by a hair.

Google helmet cams and such; there is a forum that discusses all this. I read the forum for a long time before I bought one, so I feel I got exactly what I expected. There ARE limitations with a sub-$100 video camera, y'know!
  11. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    It has to be able to do it all! GOD DAMN IT!!!!!!! :rofl
    :hide
  12. Elisa

Elisa Girl with dreams...

Oddometer:
    Can anybody please tell me where can I buy the Oregon Scientific helmet camera in Canada? I've been searching in the internet, but they are always out of stock or they do not ship from the US to my address or the shipping fee is absurd. I would appreciate any help on this matter.:evil
  13. merickk

merickk Living Folk Tale

Oddometer:
    The video quality aint that good, but what can you expect from a $99 cam. I use one occasionally on my RC Helicopters.
  14. brad21

brad21 We have a pool... and a pond.

Oddometer: