1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Review Shoei Neotec 2 Modular Helmet

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by VR46, Nov 10, 2017.

1. VR46

VR46 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Shoei Neotec 2 Motorcycle Helmet

Announced on the EICMA this week: the long anticipated Shoei Neotec 2 that replaces its predecessor – the successful Neotec. The previous Neotec has been one of the better Modular Helmets available on the market.

Safety
    Like its predecessor, the shell of the Neotec II is made of Shoei's AIM material - which stands for Advanced Integrated Matrix. This fiberglass composite is used to produce the three different shell sizes. This avoids the use of unnecessary material in the small sizes to make the helmet fit. It has a flip-up mechanism that you can open using just 1 hand and lock the chin guard in the flipped-up position. The helmet has a stainless steel Micrometric closure.

Noise Control
    Touring riders know how noisy the average (cheaper) modular helmets are. Unlike Full-Face helmets, Flip-Up helmets are often loud due to the various seams and openings in the Flip-Up mechanism. Perhaps the Achilles’ heel of the previous Neotec, where the Schuberth C3 Pro performed well, is the noise control. A nice improvement compared to the old Neotec, is the completely renewed acoustics. Shoei has tested the Neotec 2 in a wind-tunnel, which has led to a much quieter helmet. The elements which Shoei calls "Noise Isolators" in the cheek pads are an improvement in controlling noise. Another improvement is the complete elimination of air flow through the sun- visor mechanism.

Ventilation
    The wider air intakes are visibly different compared to its predecessor. With the renewed air inlets on the chin, forehead and backside, Shoei improved the ventilation. The front ventilation on the Neotec II is operated by a glove-friendly panel on the inside. With a smart slider on the top, you can operate the top ventilation. The new ventilation system allows more air to flow into the helmet through the chin and top vents and warm air to be sucked out through the rear vent.

Visor
    Shoei has always been a frontrunner in sophisticated visor mechanisms. And the new CNS-3 Visor is another nice example of Japanese engineering. This Shoei patented system works in an ingenious way. When the visor is opened, the chin guard slightly comes forward, and vice versa when it closes. This clever system ensures that the visor – when closing – fully connects with visor mechanism and is - kind of - being sucked onto the helmet shell to completely close air-tight. This unique system that we saw on the previous Neotec has been further developed and is fully integrated in the new Neotec 2. The Neotec 2 has an Integrated sun-visor that is easily operated with a slider on the left. The position of the sun-visor is nicely designed into the helmet shell, offering a seamless design. The visor is easy to replace with its clever visor mount.

Communication / Bluetooth
    Like the previous Neotec, a special Sena communication system has been developed for the Neotec 2. All you have to do is insert the microphone and speakers in the front of the helmet. (a pre-cut channel is already there). The Sena Intercom module is clicked on the side of the helmet integrating it in the helmet shell for better noise control. The battery goes in the back of the shell. Compared to the Schuberth C4, which has a simple Plug & Play system, I think this is a missed opportunity. The upside is that you don’t have to lose your helmet to the manufacturer’s warranty department for a few weeks if something is wrong with just the speakers or microphone (which is the case with Schuberth C4) Nonetheless, Plug & Play systems are more user friendly.

Inner liner
    The removable and washable interior of the Neotec 2 also had a considerable upgrade. In particular, the previously mentioned "Noise Isolators" in the cheek pads are an important addition, enabling improved acoustics. The extended leather chin flap and the extra wide chin strap minimize any unintentional inflow of air (and thus noise) into the helmet.

Features
    Helmet Type: Modular Helmet
    Shell material: Fiberglass composite
    Exterior visor: Enhanced CNS-3 Outdoor Vision with Standard Pinlock Anti-Condensed Lens
    Interior visor: Integrated sun visor with anti-UV protection
    Communication: preparated for Sena bluetooth (not included)
    Closure: Stainless Steel Micrometric Closure
    Inner lining: removable & washable antibacterial, integrated “Noise Isolators”
    Helmet Shell: available in 3 sizes
    Ventilation: fully renewed ventilation in the chin guard, the top and the back
  2. OSUgasman

OSUgasman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    very excited for this to hit the market.
  3. MX Engineer

MX Engineer Alta Redshift MXR is the best dirt bike ever!

Oddometer:
    This should be a great helmet. I might have to upgrade, LOL.

One thing I wish they had done is allow the internal drop-down sun visor to drop a little lower. I have a tall forehead, so my eyes sit in the helmet opening perhaps a little lower than average. I will always be complaining about the visors and peaks not being low enough. I will also always be trying to mod my helmets.
  4. TXGSrider

TXGSrider IBA #11007

Oddometer:
    Ugh!! I just got my Shoei Neotec last week and joe they come out with a new version?! Damn them!
    Dan Diego likes this.
  5. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any info as to when the Neotec II will be available to purchase?
  6. unbrod

unbrod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looked at Schuberth C4 as on paper it was the best match to my helmet requirements. Tried in a shop, and have not being utterly impressed. It's good, but my old BMW System 6 (which is rebranded Schuberth C3 as far as I am aware) is no worse at least, not to say actually feels better. And C4 user reviews around are mixed bag for such expensive product.

Now I would look at Neotec II. Only I am bit disappointed how the integrated intercom microphone is stalked and probably would get in the way when opening and closing the chin-bar. The old design looks better thought.

Also AGV Sportmodular caught my attention too but I have seen nothing about intercom integration so far and this is a must have in my book. I do not want to install boxes on the outer shell and run cables where it was not designed to do so.
  7. OSUgasman

OSUgasman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Think I read first quarter of 2018...
    Sailorlite likes this.
  8. BeachMoto

BeachMoto Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some European sites show them to be available and almost $1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  9. unbrod

unbrod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In UK on preorder is a tad cheaper than Schuberth C4, with availability in Jan 2018. So not too bad.
  10. TBTSyncro

TBTSyncro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    local dealer told me February. (and I assume they're in the loop as they told me about this new version a month ago)
  11. VR46

VR46 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Shoei confirmed that they will come available in January. Based on previous experience this can be even 1 month later, but normally they are pretty accurate. And for now they say it's January. For those interested: first month there is always more demand than they can supply. So you may want to pre-order at your dealer.
  12. cug

cug Out riding ... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I want to see the Sena solution for it though. Probably another Sena 10U derivative which is unfortunate as they don't fit well on small size helmets.
  13. MarylandStrom

MarylandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    modular likes this.
  14. TBTSyncro

Oddometer:
    its new. in the pics you can see the battery pack in the rear of the roll similar to the schuberth C4 system.
  15. Shadow_walker01

Shadow_walker01 n00b

Oddometer:
    I currently use the Neotec and I’m a big fan of it. This new model looks good, but I don’t like the built in Bluetooth. I like using my Sena 20s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    motorhead748 likes this.
  16. DRIVER

DRIVER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No Hi- Viz ?
    LuvPop and Renegade_Azzy like this.
  17. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe built-in bluetooth ala Seana is an option, can still set up with external 20s. Same is true of current .
  18. cug

cug Out riding ... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The helmet shell doesn't look like it's going to be easy to hook up a 20S or other external unit though.
  19. TBTSyncro

Oddometer:
  20. Applecrate

Applecrate Smell It First

Oddometer:
    Hopefully Sena has included the latest mesh technology into the onboard com.

The indents on the side look cool, but if Sena ever updates its Prism camera (good idea, way outdated) it may not fit on this helmet too well.