Rev'it Cayenne Pro Jacket/Pant First Impressions

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by fridayn2, Mar 23, 2008.

1. fridayn2

fridayn2 RFV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I finally took the plunge and purchased my first motorcycle jacket and pants combo. I have been debating this purchase for sometime now as I'm sure many of you have also. What can I say, I like quality and am willing to pay more for it. However, I don't like to pay more for something just because it is trendy or has a popular brand name. I want it to work and work well...after all I'm using it to save my skin. I wanted something that would do it all. In my opinion, I have found it

I decided on the 2008 Rev'it Cayenne Pro jacket and pants in the grey/dark green color scheme (not a black color fan). I was a little worried about the dark green color because every picture I've seen has a slightly different green variation. I was pleased when I saw it in the flesh. You may or may not like it, but I do. I'm 5'11" 170 lbs with a 33" waist and a 34.5" inseam, so I went with the large jacket and large long pants. I felt that the length of pant was more important than the waist. (versus getting the medium long pant 31-34" waist and 33.5" inseam)

They arrived on Friday the 21st from Beemers and More Motorcycle Works in Ft. Collins, CO.
    [​IMG]

I would like to give Roxanne at Beemers and More Motorcycle Works http://www.beemersandmore.com/ kudos for superb customer service. I can't say enough about them. They even sent a complimentary long sleeve T-shirt! They have won my business.

T-shirt
    [​IMG]

Pulling the jacket and pants out of the box I was suprised that they did not seem heavy. I've read in many places where people describe the BMW R2P jacket and pants to be "heavy". I will be interested to compare the two when I see the R2P in the flesh.

I wish you could see the excitement on my face. Priceless.

Here it is!

[​IMG]

Front View

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back View

[​IMG]

First off, I am very impressed with Rev'it's quality and attention to detail.

The jacket and pants are very well thought out. Both jacket and pants are a combination of three garments in one. They included a thermal layer, a water proof layer, and the outer shell. I like this set-up because you can vary what you wear for the conditions. So far I've been very comfortablet in temperatures as low as 18 degrees F for a ride of 45 minutes (all layers worn). Once summer is in full swing I will let you all know how it works in the heat. Also, it is very easy to remove and replace each layer...it take seconds.

Pants
    [​IMG]

Jacket

[​IMG]

Each layer attaches to the next in a pretty neat way. An example of the detail and well thought out nature of the garments comes out here. For the jacket, the thermal layer attaches to the waterproof layer by two zippers (upper left and right), three snaps (behind the neck and lower left and right), and two snaps at both sleeve ends. Then the waterproof layer attaches to outer layer with two zipers, a snap at the neck, and two snaps at both sleeve ends. Both zippers and snaps are good quality.

Jacket

Thermal Layer (EXKIN)

Top Left Zipper (Looking at the jacket - open)

[​IMG]

Top Left Zipper (closed)

[​IMG]

Top Right Zipper (open)

[​IMG]

Top Right Zipper (closed)

[​IMG]

Lower Left Snap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lower Right Snap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neck Snap (Open - sorry for the blurry pic)

[​IMG]

Neck Snap (closed)

[​IMG]

Here's an example of the attachment of the thermal layer at the sleeve ends. You can see the two loops and snaps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The thermal layer insulation works very well. It has baffles to keep the insulation aloft. Reminds me of my North Face down coat and it feels like it too, though not as bulky. However, it will be interesting over the life of the layer if a horizontal baffle would be advantageous to prevent aggregation within the horizontal baffles. As I said before, I used this in a ride where the temperatures were as low as 18 degrees F for 45 minutes and I felt very comfortable.

[​IMG]

Waterproof Layer (Hydratex 3-layer Membrane)

Badging

[​IMG]

The waterproof layer has taping at all the seams. A must.

[​IMG]

The waterproof layer uses zippers on both sides, a snap behind the neck, and two snaps at each sleeve end. Below is the zipper.

Left Zipper (open) - As you are looking at the coat.

[​IMG]

Left Zipper (closed)

[​IMG]

Right Zipper (open)

[​IMG]

Right Zipper (closed)

[​IMG]

The zippers are staggered to prevent bulk and ease of manipulation.

[​IMG]

Neck Snap (open)

[​IMG]

Neck Snap (closed)

[​IMG]

Sleeve Snaps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Outer Layer

It uses a cordura fabric that feels very sturdy and abrasion resistent.

Front Closure

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pants

Same setup as the jacket. Thermal layer (EXKIN), waterproof layer (Hydratex 3 layer membrane), and an outer layer. The pants use zippers at the waist and cuffs to attach each layer. Again, the zippers are staggared and easy to manupulate. The layers are convenient to remove and replace.

Waist zipper for the thermal layer.

[​IMG]

Example of a cuff zipper

[​IMG]

Protection/Safety

Protection points are located at the shoulders, elbows, back, hips, and knees/shin. SAS TEC CE protection is located at the shoulders, elbows/forearms, knees/shins. Pads are located in back area, with triangles and a larger foam pad including the "hexagon" of my back (colored area of the suit), and hips.

Shoulders

[​IMG]

Elbows/Forearms

The Cayenne Pro includes a "superfabric" too increase its protection. As described by the website, the "superfabric" it is a laminated ceramic material. You can see it below where it covers the armour areas of the elbow and forearm. It is a very stiff and abrasion resisant fabric. Don't know alot about it, but it seems that it would hold up very well in a "get-off". A very nice touch.

[​IMG]

Knees/Shin - Again you can see the areas where the "superfabric" are applied.

[​IMG]

Back - Has two triangles of temperfoam.

[​IMG]

Hips

[​IMG]

There is a "sticky" rubber material that works well to grab the tank of your motorcycle on the inner knee area of both legs. Not really a protection feature, but very useful.

[​IMG]

There are seven reflective strips total on the jacket and pants. There are two on the chest, one on each lower arm, one on each thigh, and one on the lower back. Because you can never have enough reflective strips I would have added strips on both back shoulder blades and on both lower legs.

Chest/Lower arms

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lower Back

[​IMG]

Thighs

[​IMG]

Features/Details

There are plenty of pockets. I've found 15 total. The pockets have very use placement. There are 4 waterproof pockets on the chest of the outer layer. You can see them below.

Chest pockets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front pants pocket - Has a waterproof zipper.

[​IMG]

Thermal layer inside pockets (2).

[​IMG]

The outer layer has an inside pocket and a large opening (I will call it a pocket because it can hold the hydration bladder).

[​IMG]

Lower lumbar pocket of the outer layer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ventilation - VCS for short.

Front Chest Vents - Deja Vu? Very similar to the R2P.

[​IMG]

Back vents

[​IMG]

Arm vents

Closed

[​IMG]

Open

[​IMG]

Leg Vents

[​IMG]

Adjustability

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a draw string on the skirt of the jacket. Very nice.

[​IMG]

Neck snap

[​IMG]

Sleeve Snaps - Two adjustments

[​IMG]

Sleeve Cuff velcro straps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Waist Adjustment

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other details/Nice touches....more to follow
  2. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    you sure carry a lot of cellphones! :lol3
  3. orgthtogod

orgthtogod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How much did ya pick all that up for if you don't mind my asking? And where?

Doesn't that suit have the "ceramic armour" that's supposed to be stronger than Kevlar?

Thanks
  4. Swashplate

Swashplate LUV TO HVR

Oddometer:
    I ordered the Grey Jacket and Black pants and they should be here this week and I will post pics when I get mine too.

The dark green looks great but I found 20 years of wearing green flightsuits was long enough..:rofl . Since I still work on base and they require bright colors during daylight hours, therefore green does not count.

Revit is really nice gear IMHO and the staff in NY (Aron) is a great guy.

Thanks for the pics!
  5. X-Rated

X-Rated Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detailed pics. Can you help me out? I assume the jacket can be worn in four possible configurations - no liners, waterproof liner only, thermal liner only, or both liners? How does the ventilation look for the 'no-liners' case? It gets hot, real hot, down here in summer!!

Al
  6. Swashplate

Swashplate LUV TO HVR

Oddometer:
    I can help on the liners question-Yes, you can have 4 configurations. It is just like the Rev'it Off Track Jacket in that case.

As for the venting question as compared to the Off Track, this one had more direct venting on the front via the 2 top panels.

I'll post pics when I get my suit.
  7. tkuhe

tkuhe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think they also added a couple vents to the forearms.

8. Swashplate

Swashplate LUV TO HVR

Oddometer:
    Yeah, both the Off Track and the Cayenne have forearm vents.

Where is that UPS person!!!
  9. onarock

onarock Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very nice!

How did it fit to you ? What size did you pick ?
    I'm 6' tall/160 lbs I'd like to order medium pants and XL jacket but I'm afraid the jacket would be too wide for me.
    A Large jacket may be too short :huh
  10. Swashplate

Swashplate LUV TO HVR

Oddometer:
    yea!!!! mine just showed up. vey, vey nice!!!!

I got a L standard in both jacket and pants.

41 yrs young, 5-10, 185lbs, avg build,

I wear a 42R flight suit, 34-35 waist, 32 inseam, large t-shirt, med polo shirt.
  11. Hoseman

Hoseman Uhh...

Oddometer:
    I have two rev'it jackets. Love them both. A general rule of thumb for this brand is to go one size up. I have an xl air jacket which is just a bit snug and will be up for sale as soon as I get it laundered. I want to buy the same jacket, just one size larger. My xxl Devil jacket fits perfect. Rev'it sizes their stuff for the European market and most europeans are quite a bit slimmer than your average american so their jackets are pretty slim fitting.

I am 6' 2" 195#
  12. Swashplate

Swashplate LUV TO HVR

Oddometer:
    MSRP:

Jacket=549.99
    Pants=399.99

I have Adventure BMW in my area.

They call it "SuperFabric" it's 5 times the abrasion resistance than leather with only half the weight. IAW 2008 Rev'it catalog page 9.
  13. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:

the rev'it gear is not good for 4 season riding, imho. i have an older style cayenne (without the forearm vents) and it is too hot to wear in southern california in the summertime. okay on the freeway if you keep moving, but get stuck in traffic or take a dirt backroad and you'll be wishing you wore something lighter.

if it is hot and/or humid where you ride then you may want to consider the olympia AST (great venting) or bmw rallye pro (great venting and zip-off sleeves) jackets, imo.
  14. tenfrozentoes

tenfrozentoes 5th gear 6K- weeeeeee

Oddometer:
    Nice write up- In the market for some good riding gear. Funny that your write up is already linked to on revzilla

Thanks a million for your pictures and thoughts.

Jim
  15. X-Rated

X-Rated Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Kurt. Much obliged for the information, and the pics.

Al

(PS: a current Naval Aviator down here)
  16. Mike M

Mike M Long-timer...

Oddometer:
    You know, I had a prior generation Cayenne and matching pants and liked them very much. The only complaints I had were:
    • No waist belt, so fit was a little "baggy" around the middle for me.
    • No arm vents and "evaporative-style vents" that aren't designed to flow through air very well. It got a bit hot in 80 degrees plus.
    • Pants knee armor "floated" a bit on the knee, not secure in placement.
    • What the hell am I going to put in all those pockets?
    Build and materials were top notch. I found it uncomfortable with either liner in so I just used a fleece in cold weather and when it rains I prefer a pull-over rainsuit anyway. The Cayenne performed very well for me but the drawbacks I mentioned moved me to replace it.

I like the BMW Santiago jacket and pants that replaced my Cayenne very much but the improvements in the Pro2 might get me back in the REV'IT! fold.

I'm not in much danger of that unless they come with a plain black one like my old Cayenne...
  17. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great write up

Thanks
  18. Jiminy Cricket

Jiminy Cricket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now that's a write up!

Couple questions - are there full length sleeve vents in addition to the fore arm vents?

Will the pants fit over a pair of chunky MX boots? BMW solved this with the elastic back panel on all their pants, how did Rev'it do it? THey don't seem to have a boot cut like KLIM or Thor. And does anyone know if the cut is similar to the Rev'it Dakar pants?

Thanks for all the pictures too!
  19. Swashplate

Swashplate LUV TO HVR

Oddometer:
    Vents-these only have the forearm vents, no full length sleeve vents.

Boots- I'll get back to you on that...

Cut-these are about the same but they have an accordian panel on the upper buttocks area. I have had the Off Track/Dakar and now I have the Cay Pro.

hope this helps.
  20. Jiminy Cricket

Jiminy Cricket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. 2 years ago it wouldn't have mattered cause I had Alpinestars street boots and a light enduro boot, but I only ride with MX boots now. These look to be the ticket if they'd fit over them.