1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Rev'It! Doubles Down on #95

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by sakurama, Nov 30, 2014.

1. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build

Oddometer:
    My goal was always to get the bike out and ride the piss out of it to prove that it is a functional and frightening machine. The bike got tied up with going to Europe but it's looking like it might be coming back to the states for a bit of a flogging. Details are only just being discussed but if and when that happens I'll update this.

Gregor
    JagLite and wiseblood like this.
  2. Team Vegas

Team Vegas ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>---

Oddometer:
    I did see it at Overland Expo 2015.

[​IMG]
  3. blake716

blake716 nine toes

Oddometer:
  4. blutor

blutor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow. 2wd and heaps of fun
  5. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    I had forgotten about this bike. For me it's bittersweet. The addition of the Christini drive made it badass. The deletion of what made it not just any SE but an Erz SE detracted more than the AWD added. As one who spends a lot of time in the garage chopping stuff up (and posting it in Some Assembly Required) I give mad props to the time and thought that went into the build. Any bike that runs and runs well has had countless hours of work put into it regardless of what it looks like. I've built my share of ugly ducklings but I value function over form. However, and Gregor alluded to this, most people in this forum are somewhat partial to the original form, myself included. I've ridden 950 SEs and ADVs and the form functions the way it was designed. I'm not saying it cannot be improved but it is certainly hard to beat.

Personally, I'm not particularly moved by the looks but knowing what lurks under that tank (the AWD drive) would not stop me from throwing a leg over it.

Sean :brow
    DesertSurfer likes this.
  6. Mesjr

Mesjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes it's most definitely ugly , I was really bummed when I saw what was being done to a rare bad ass bike . Awd would have bin enough . But imo the bike was ruined .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. johnno950

johnno950 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Least it looks like it gets ridden,fantastic fab skills etc from sakurama,still a bad girl.
    Lots of badass bikes around that dont get ridden.
  8. TonsOfFun

TonsOfFun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your 990 build is exceptional and the end result is something that I would seriously consider parting with a substantial amount of coin for one of my own if the final price and warranty was fair.... this 950, not so much.
  9. sakurama

Oddometer:
    So after more than a year in Europe 95 made it's way back to the states where it looks like it will stay. We had it shipped to California where I shot it as part of our shoot this year for Rev'It! The bike needed some tweaking but I got it running and working and we shot is in the Octillio Wells area yesterday. It will spend some time here in California before it makes it way back east.

Hopefully that video will embed. It was amazing how well the bikes climbs.

Gregor
    Dirt2007, Lupin 3rd, Andrew S and 7 others like this.
  10. JoeGoat

JoeGoat n00b

Oddometer:
    There are sooo many places that I would like to ride that bike.
  11. henryroten

henryroten Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Gregor;
    Was that you on the 405 north in the valley and in the rain yesterday (Sunday). I was heading south but i am pretty certain it was your bike flying by.
  12. sakurama

Oddometer:
    N
    No, that was my friend Abhi from Bike-urious.com. I rode it up Latigo canyon with him Saturday but yesterday he took it out in the dirt. He's doing a little test on it this week before it makes its way to Motorcyclist next week. It's plated and tight and ready for some abuse.

Keep your eyes open as it's staying in SoCal for a while and will live at Beach Moto in the interim between flogs. Stop by to check it out.

Gregor
  13. henryroten

henryroten Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will do! Would like to see it in person.
  14. Treadless

Treadless avoiding gravity storms if at all possible Supporter

Oddometer:
    above the soil's surface on the left coast

:y0! So who's :katneeds to be thoroughly :smooch to get a ride it? :D
  15. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    I live near Beach Moto. I'd check it out. Are you still in town in L.A.?
  16. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    Awesome project, but sacrificing a pristine Super Enduro is just wrong.
  17. sakurama

Oddometer:
    Yeah, we've beaten that horse pretty good. Having built a few bikes now I can assure you that the hassle of replacing worn parts is easily out wieghed by the cost of a nicer, newer bike. You're basically doing two builds when you start with a used bike.

Of course if a pristine Super Enduro was your goal they were offered new by KTM in 2007 so the opportunity was there for you to buy a second one to keep on a pedestal. Personally I'm not a fan of static pristine motorcycles but to each their own.

Scott received the bike from Europe and went over it to make sure it was in tune. When we got the bike out to California it was running great. I had to adjust the clutch for the front wheel drive system a bit tighter as it wasn't putting enough power to the front wheel but once that was done it was scary fast. It's fun for me to see the expressions of people who get off it for the first time - it's an eye opening experience. Rev'It! will be taking the bike around the country to different events - I'm not sure if they'll letting people ride it but I know that it will be getting ridden. Once they have a plan on events they'll attend I'm sure they'll put out the word.

In the mean time keep your eyes on Bike-urious as Abhi and Nathan shot some video as well and impressions so far are that it far exceeded expectations.

Gregor
    bemiiten, Stephen and DRjoe like this.