1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Rev'It! Doubles Down on #95

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by sakurama, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Denalidirt

Denalidirt High Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    This bike with the fmf cans weighs in around 420 ready to ride
  2. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:

I'm more interested in the bare weight with no bodywork, lights, tank, etc...

What I really would like to see is a 950/990 completely parted out with each sub assembly weighed individually.

Over and over again we see people asking for a twin engined, @100hp "adventure" bike under 400lbs. I think it is very hard to do without using unobtonium.

When I was road racing we had the same challenges. It gets to the point where your better off loosing 10lbs of body fat as opposed to chasing down the last weight savings on the bike.

From this...

[​IMG]

To this...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just to do this...

[​IMG]

DW
  3. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    Maybe true for racing, but for Adventuring, the weight of the bike is what counts. For me, the difference between 400 lb and 500lb can be the difference of righting the bike myself, or sitting and waiting for help... or walking for help.

As for losing weight myself, every pound I would lose would just make me weaker. Being skinny has its downside.
  4. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    I think you missed my point, there is a rule of diminishing returns in removing weight from a bike. At which point do you call it quits? Often the budget dictates the first 90% and the last 10% becomes an area of increased difficulty.

I agree that there is a big difference of 400 vrs 500lbs. In fact I've stopped using my Lc8 as a deep woods tool as I've been in deep mud, with the bike pinning my leg - solo.

Anyhow, I'm distracting the conversation from this build. It's just that when I see that stripped down SE, my pea brain starts calculating - and sees a unicorn in real life.

DW
  5. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    what an exciting project!

I'm going to check in on this thread regularly - can't wait to see how it turns out.

Oh, and nice job on finding a clean Super Enduro... Man that thing looks like it just left the factory. Sweet! :freaky
  6. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build

Oddometer:
    I'm going to catch up with this tonight - I have to process out more photos - but for now it might be interesting to see that the weight of our bike was 408lbs. (it was 198lbs in the front and that's the rear in the photo) with very little gas. Basically an empty tank or less than a gallon and all other fluids.

[​IMG]

That makes the idea of a 100rwhp sub 400lbs bike a distinct possibility for us but more likely it will stay at that same weight. Weight is very important and the Super Enduro is a distinct advantage over our other options. In addition the bike is narrower as well. Another advantage.

Okay, more tonight!

Gregor
    kleinergti1 likes this.
  7. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    408 is a good start....

your bike is already sans center stand and passenger pegs...a trail stand in your backpack and you are good...
    The tail tidy shaved a pound too and the smog crap removed a tad

Add
    Airbox delete for a Rottweiler
    Antigravity battery
    Powercell's tank = 5.8 gallons

and you are well under 400 no fuel....until you add a proper bash plate, shark fin, hand guards, steering damper and proper lights....hahahaha...
  8. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Curious to see what innovative things happen...

:lurk
  9. sakurama

Oddometer:
    Hey Deadly! You'll see refinement for sure and hopefully some innovation as well.

Gregor
  10. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    This is a cold hard truth, but one we all would easily take.
  11. sakurama

Oddometer:
    With any build there are two distinct elements: look and function. For our team these are essentially intertwined. To make a cool looking bike that wasn't functional would be sacrilegious. We're talking about an adventure bike here - the epitome of a functional motorcycle. On the other hand these bikes are victims of function over form. Their utility is their beauty but that's no reason to disregard the chance to refine their aesthetic qualities.

[​IMG]

But first let's focus on function. Chris adapted a Christini AWD system to my 990 so you might expect we'd do that here. You'd be right. CJ had the first AWD 950, I had the first AWD 990 and this will be the first AWD Super Enduro. The fourth AWD LC8 in the world.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the things about my bike is that the system is so perfectly integrated and hidden that no one notices it which is a shame because it's a triumph of packaging and design on Chris' part to fit the parts into the frame. So as we work on the both the function and the design we want to highlight the technical.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's Scott Kolb, the guy who was the mastermind and world class fabricator behind my Boxer. We're going big on this so we've called in the big guns! He's going to be helping us when we get to the body but he was on hand for the break down so we could evaluate the options.

[​IMG]

But parts are coming in. Certain things we know work really well like the 41mm FCR's and Chris will finalize his Rottweiller intake platform for this bike. So with parts in hand it's time to strip the bike down and begin the conversion of the frame.

[​IMG]

Along the way we've been sketching ideas but it's not time for that just yet.

Gregor
  12. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Throw us a bone...a sketch or two of the body work :D
  13. stevh0

stevh0 Super Retard.

Oddometer:
    mmmmm 41's and a rotti...

please tell us more.
  14. Gfeldy

Gfeldy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't been on the site in a while and this is bringing me back. Thank you. Keep the posts coming.
  15. SCflyer

SCflyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    And what would really score some points for REV IT is to have a drawing for the bike when all is said and done...:deal
  16. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    "But first let's focus on function. Chris adapted a Christini AWD system to my 990 so you might expect we'd do that here. You'd be right. CJ had the first AWD 950, I had the first AWD 990 and this will be the first AWD Super Enduro. The fourth AWD LC8 in the world".

Does the SE frame have the tabs for the SMT tank mounting bolts in place from factory?

And Isn't there an AWD SE in Qld Aust?:deal
  17. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow nice !
    Id like to have a SE with fcr41's and the rotweiler filter in a nicely shaped CAI box to give it that ducati intake trumpet sound,(instead of just rattling with the open filters) and get chokes put on so theres no jump starting embarrassment involved
    Super duke cams
    Shorai to save 20 lbs and regulator upgrade to keep it alive
  18. sakurama

Oddometer:
    The past week or so has been very for Chris. He's gotten a new CNC that has taken time to set up but simultaneously he's been working on getting the frame converted. To do the conversion requires many jigs that maintain perfect alignment as any misalignment could create excess wear or worse.

[​IMG]

The area of the chain run is cleared and prepped.

[​IMG]

The fixture for the headstock is actually welded in place on the frame. This serves to align the gearbox and the driveshaft into the headstock but it also serves as the jig for the cutting and the welding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The gearbox supports are welded into place. This then holds another fixture that works with the first to hold the insert that will be welded in to the headstock to hold the new bearings that will hold the shafts in alignment.

This part is coped on the Bridgeport to clear the inside rotating shafts...

[​IMG]

Once the part is perfect it's inserted into the headstock and then a precision spacer is used to hold it's placement and alignment. Can you sense the complexity?

[​IMG]

From there it's up to Chris ability to balance the heat by welding opposite corners so that nothing is pulled out of alignment. There's an art as well as a science to the craftsmanship of building bikes and we're leaning on both.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now to Deadly's request for a sketch of the design. My job here is to facilitate, document, guide the process, chose the best parts and keep things on task. Gerbrandt is the designer - of pretty much everything that Revit does. He's brilliant and creative and I've loved working with him on our shoots...

[​IMG]

Here's a behind the scenes shot from the 2015 urban shoot - Gerbrandt is adjusting the jacket on the model. I'm the guy with the camera... obviously.

Here's a better shot of guy that designed your Cayenne Pro. :wink:

[​IMG]

Yeah that's the crazy creative. I think he was reacting to an out of focus shot.

But back to Deadly's request. What are we thinking it will look like? Here's some initial sketches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is an organic process and what is imagined can change when we all get together this weekend and the bike is right there and foam is cut and shaped and beer is consumed. Things are likely to change...

Gregor
  19. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    :clap
  20. River6822

River6822 Fat kid on a 950 SE

Oddometer:
    Whatever you gents do it'll be handsome and functional. Subscribed.