Rev'it Sand 3, Off Track or Alpinestars Valparaiso 2?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ElPolloDiablo, Mar 28, 2019.

?

Which gear should i get?

1. Rev'It Sand 3

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Rev'It Off Track

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Alpinestars Valparaiso 2

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. ElPolloDiablo

ElPolloDiablo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys!

So, i bought myself a KTM 1190 Adventure some while ago, and now i'm looking to replace my Difi jacket+pants for a proper adventure travel outfit. What i am looking for? Well, it has to be suitable for warmer weather especially, for warmer weather for like my next trip to Eastern Europe this summer (40 degrees Celsius). Colder weather is not so important, but it's a pro if it's warm too, offcourse. Did North Cape last year with 5 degrees. Don't care too much about goretex, since that's too hot really soon. If it's a removable liner, it's no problem. An adventure look is also a must.

So i basically am looking at these 3 suits: Rev'it Sand 3, Off Track or Alpinestars Valparaiso 2. I think it's a bummer that the pants of the Sand 3 is only in black or white, not matching the sand color jacket. The Alpinestars pants is also in the same sand color as the jacket.

Someone told me that the Alpinestars Drystar liner isn't as good as the Hydratex liner which Rev'It uses, in terms of breathability and waterproofness.

Anyone got any tips for me? Some personal experience would be great. Or maybe there is another suit waiting for me, that i haven't thought off. Thanks in advance guys!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would go for the Sand 3 or Scorpion Yosemite personally. I was debating those for a while. I haven't decided yet as always, I'm looking for the perfect 4 season setup.
  3. ElPolloDiablo

ElPolloDiablo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So why the Sand 3 and not the Valparaiso 2? :)
  4. flamingm0e

Oddometer:
    My biggest reason is the sleeve zips for venting. After owning several jackets without good sleeve vents, that's one of the biggest features I'm looking for.
  5. ElPolloDiablo

ElPolloDiablo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So you think the vents on the Valparaiso is not as good?
  6. flamingm0e

Oddometer:
    Look at the size of the vents. I would take a full sleeve vent over that any day. Plus the Valparaiso is waterproofing baked into the shell. It's going to be warmer than the others by nature of waterproofing.
  7. ElPolloDiablo

ElPolloDiablo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That last part is not true. The Drystar liner is the waterproof liner. The outer shell of the jacket is not waterproof, so i doesn't have to be hotter than the others.

Vents look smaller indeed. I guess i'm gonna give all three of them a try!
  8. flamingm0e

Oddometer:
    Oh really? I was under the impression that the drystar was like all their other drystar products. Baked into the shell.
  9. ElPolloDiablo

ElPolloDiablo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From their website:

flamingm0e likes this.
  10. flamingm0e

Oddometer:
    Yep. Just read that. Odd. I had been thinking incorrectly about the Alpinestar stuff all along.

I would still prefer the larger sleeve vents though. I miss my Rev'It Outback 2 for the sleeve vents.
  11. ABDriver

ABDriver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't speak about the Valparaiso, but I have used the Sand 2 jacket and been very happy with it. For hot weather riding I used one of those water vests underneath.

And also, I crashed hard on the sand 2 jacket (crash, slide on asphalt, slide over sand/rocks, and down about 1-2 feet head first into a rock, at what I think was over 60kph). Jacket is toast, but I'm alive and still in one piece. My next jacket will be the Sand 3.
  12. fuzzbeard

fuzzbeard Autobahn avoider

Oddometer:
    From another thread asking about the Sand 3:

13. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    I have a Sand 3 which I bought after much looking at the Valparaiso 2 suit. In the end of the day I could never find the A* suit on sale anywhere (I like a deal) and I could never see it in person as no retailer near me carried it. I’m also underwhelmed by the quality of my A* boots and gloves so wasn’t ready to drop so much money on a suit without seeing it in person.

I am very happy with Sand 3 jacket (I went with Poseidon pants). I have removed the quilted liner and it’ll never get worn as if It’s cold I use heated liner. The waterproof liner I’ve kept in as it’s a nice windbreaking layer and folds up compact enough to stow away easily when it warms up. It vents very very well. I’ll try to wear this as late into the summer as I can. The sleeve vents move a ton of air as does the chest ones and exhaust nicely out the back of the jacket. The armor is thin and uninvasive. The back armor must be purchased separately which is total crap for a $400 jacket. Some care is needed using the long sleeve vents as I’ve alresdy snagged the inner mesh material with the zipper. The mesh is fragile and easily caught. Seems a more durable material could’ve been used there. The front pockets are good and the hand warmer pockets have a fleece lining which is a nice touch. The back pocket is big and great for spare gloves or maps or whatever. I wish there was an outer Napoleon pocket but nitpicking. The little loop to hold the collar open is idiotic and impossible to do while riding with a gloved hand. Idk why it’s so hard for these companies to just use a snap or a magnet.

The Offtrack looks nice. It wasn’t out when I bought the Sand 3. Rev’It says it’s a lighter weight more off road focused jacket than Sand 3. Sand 3 is already pretty lightweight.

I bought Poseidon pants as I didn’t like the Sand pants. Not enough venting and I wanted a Gore shell on the pants. Throwing on a rain jacket is no big deal but getting rain pants over boots and shit is a struggle.
  14. ElPolloDiablo

ElPolloDiablo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your experience! Your story pushed me over the edge to buy the Sand 3. I tried on the Valparaiso 2 also, but the Sand 3 gave me a feeling of more quality. Also, the grey color of the Valparaiso was very boring in my opinion. Also, the Sand 3 was a better fit. But, i still think it's a bummer Revit doesn't make the pants in the sand color. I like a 1-style suit. So i think the black pants are a bit boring, but hey, can't have it all.
    flux_capacitor likes this.
  15. Beaverpuncher

Beaverpuncher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the Valpraiso 2. They have been terrific for everything. Tested down to 32 ambient with 40mph winds with just a base layer and both liners. I was sweating. I do not have the Revit but I'd say both are pretty well in line with certain features for different tastes. The Valpraiso vent very well also. The only thing I can comment on is the pants could be a tad bit longer. I'm 6'6" though so it's a life long problem for me.
  16. lipsee

lipsee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a couple of bits of Ally gear,,but these days the quality is just not there..Where as Rev it is good at a realistic price... Yeah Revit for me..
  17. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:

Nice choice. You’ll be happy.
  18. ElPolloDiablo

ElPolloDiablo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all! I got the Sand 3 jacket last Friday (pants are in backorder) and tested it this weekend for about 1035km (600 miles give or take). Really like it, except for one thing: my throat gets irritated from the collar. Can't explain why, but i think it's too high or something. On my way back, i just left it hanging loose, which was a lot better.

Anyone who shares this?
  19. powder85

powder85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've read that you already made the decision but I'm also looking for a warm weather 3 season jacket.

After reading and trying the Sand 3 and the Offtrack, the Offtrack is by far better suited for hot weather due to the mesh and the Sand is a bit guided more towards cold.

The best option for warm weather tho is the Cayenne pro, but you have to purchase separately the intermediate layer for colder days.
  20. JohnnyADV13

JohnnyADV13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m adding my 2 cents a little while after this post. I tried the Sand 3 at the shop yesterday. I have a Val 2 waiting for me at another shop. That Sand 3 is really nice. With everything removed from inside, the jacket really gets close to being a full on summer jacket. The sleeve venting is excellent. It goes all the way down to the wrist and opens way up. It’s not just very slits. It makes like a wide V up the forearm. Other vents are nice too.

The quality of construction is top notch. The shoulder and elbow armor is CE 2 in the Sand vs CE 1 in the Val. Also the waterproof liner is a much nicer material, than the Valparaiso. It’s thin and light as opposed to the kind of stretchy material in the Val. I’d say from a quality perspective and venting the Sand 3 beats the Valparaiso. I’m going to try on the Valparaiso and see if it fits better, but I think I’m going with Sand 3. It’s awesome. I’d see no reason to choose the Alpine over it except maybe fit. I’m considering ditching my Alpine Andes II pants for the Sand Pants too. They are certainly far nicer.