Reviving a klr650, need some help

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by NikonVT, Jun 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. NikonVT

NikonVT Gettin Bruced Again

Oddometer:
    Just came into an 09 klr650 with under 12k miles. Been sitting for about 2yrs with no love. After some effort I got her to run with the choke on but as soon as I lower the choke, she dies.

Leads me to believe it's an air/fuel mixture problem. How does one adjust that?
  2. SmittyBlackstone

SmittyBlackstone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Remove the carb and clean it thoroughly.
    9Realms and Bigger Al like this.
  3. woodzrider

woodzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1.
  4. MattLikeyBikey

MattLikeyBikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most likely a plugged jet. It is serviceable with the carb inside the bike but a thorough job would entail pulling the carb and giving a full cleaning.

Have you drained original fuel? You might consider replacing the fuel hoses too. I'd also pull the petcock and clean the screen. Then with the carb, pull the bowl and pull the pilot and main jet, clean with carb cleaner and then a copper wire strand from some wire if you have any around. Then use a toothbrush and Simple Green or other degreaser and brush the upper and lower carb bowl and the float - carefully.

I'd run a higher ratio of Seafoam treated fuel after so that it clears up everything else, hopefully.

Here are a couple videos. Service carb on bike and also removing carb. Might as well do the 22 cent mod while in there.

9Realms and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  5. NikonVT

NikonVT Gettin Bruced Again

Oddometer:
    I cleaned it on the bike as best I could. Everything's been drained and refreshed with new fluids. I hit the carb with gum out (let it sit for the night after running with fresh fuel), then did it again with marvel and I'm letting sit overnight tonight after running so it got in there. I've had 4 klrs in the past but it's been a while and I always hated removing the carb on them with my big hands, it's a bitch to take on and off. After letting it sit tonight, it'll it's not flushed out and idling ok, I'll tear it all apart and give it a thorough job. I figured that was next but I didnt know if I was missing something easier. I did try adjusting the idle on the carb but to no avail. (And no mouse nest in the airbox either, so that's a win)
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  6. SmittyBlackstone

SmittyBlackstone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As mentioned, try a strong dose of Seafoam. That stuff works miracles. Start with a little gas in the tank. Add Seafoam. Run it till you are sure it is in the carb. It may run poorly due to the amount of Seafoam. Shut it off. Let it sit overnight or a couple of days.
    Start it up and run it for a few min, then fill the gas tank with gas and ride it. It should be clear by the end of the tank.

When I got my PC800, I was reluctant to remove all the plastic Tupperware to rebuild the carbs. A friend turned me on to Seafoam and told me.thw procedure above. It cleared both carbs in minutes of the restart.

It has saved me from having to rebuild dozens of carbs.
    NikonVT and Bigger Al like this.
  7. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I commend to you this video (one of three or four in the series):

Otherwise, running only with the "choke" on can be a symptom of diaphragm air leak (either punctured diaphragm, or improper seating/sealing).
    NikonVT and 9Realms like this.
  8. mikehailwood

mikehailwood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Use Wyman's video above for carb removal. Excellent.