Reviving an RT after 5 years of storage

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Aurelius, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    As of now, my 2008 R1200RT will have been sitting in my garage unridden for five years. The question is, what needs to be done to get it road ready once again?

Clearly the gas tank will have to be flushed to clean out whatever remains of the gasoline that was in there. The tires hold air just fine and have plenty of tread left, but I'm not sure whether the rubber has deteriorated over time. Do I need a new battery, or can I just recharge the existing one? What about brake fluid, engine oil, and gear lube? Will any seals need to be replaced?

The local BMW dealership will be installing a new fuel pump and final drive flange, both recall items, as well as a new fuel level sensor. I don't want them to do anything else unless it's absolutely necessary however because of their ridiculously high shop rates.
  2. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The battery will be dead-dead, so you'll need a new one. All fluids - including brake - should be flushed along with a fresh oil filter. Note that the clutch hydraulics do not take DoT4. The air filter is a toss up depending upon how many miles it had on it before storage, plus how the bike was actually stored. I'd replace that just because. BBY sells kits that will have most of what you'll need. On a 12+ y/o bike ignored for five years, you probably also want to inspect the external fuel hoses. They're probably okay, but storage conditions will matter.

Those tires are really shot, but if they'll hold air I'd maybe ride them to the shop for fresh ones. No way would I ride them far - or fast, however.

I'd get that bike running well before taking it into a dealership. They're not going to charge nicely for having to deal with a non-operable bike, esp. when the owner doesn't want to pay to fix it, so it'll be best to have the thing fully functioning when it rolls in. If that means first taking it to your favorite independent shop prior to the recall work, so be it.

Bottom line, at minimum: fresh fluids & filters all around + a new battery. Tires are your gamble, but five years of storage on used tires makes them really long in the tooth. Florida heat eats tires as well, presuming lack of temperature control. Check hoses & external rubbers, the vacuum caps at the throttle bodies in particular.

On a broader scale, in addition to all above, a full 12K mi. service may be in order. Without mileage or condition, however, that's unclear.

A good place to start... https://www.beemerboneyard.com/hengoilkits.html
    mepilot likes this.
  3. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    You could do 12K mi service per list below:

upload_2021-6-3_9-20-55.png

In addition to that, tires and battery should be replaced as well. One thing from above schedule you may be able to do without (but worth checking it) is alternator belt - inspect for condition and replace if needed, although it's getting long in a tooth...

:thumb
    18415 and Aurelius like this.
  4. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Many thanks. Unfortunately I can't get the bike running before taking it to the dealership because the fuel pump is spraying fuel everywhere. It's a design defect, and it's one of the items covered by the BMW recall, along with the final drive flange, whatever that is. If it were not for those items, I wouldn't even take it to the BMW dealership. I will definitely do the other things you mentioned before bringing it to them though.
  5. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your bike may have a broken plastic fuel line QD. That is a common issue as the bike's age. Many owners upgraded to chrome-plated QD fittings for that reason. BBY & EME both sell 'em individually and in kits, as different BMW models don't all share identical fittings. As I understand it, BMW's recall effort is not providing the metal QDs, but rather sticking with their good old choice of plastic. Your bike will probably get a new fuel plate, perhaps a new fuel pump, and likely a new QD or two; those aren't likely to be metal, however.

You might also do yourself a favor and remove as much tupperware on that bike as you can before taking it to the dealer. That'd be one less them for them to scuff, crack, or otherwise hurt your feelings about. Plus, they'll charge BMW for the book time which includes R&R of the plastics, so the dealership makes more money while you avoid potential hassle. That's really a win-win.
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  6. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    The broken plastic fuel line you mention was an issue on the 1150GS. The RT has rubber fuel lines, but the fix requires replacing the entire fuel pump assembly. I'm sure that would cost a fortune, so I'm relieved that it's all covered by BMW. As you suggest, I'm leaving the plastic fairings I had to remove off the bike. No sense in putting it all back on just to have them remove it again. My biggest worry is about the residue left at the bottom of my gas tank and how expensive that's going to be to clean out. :uhoh
  7. Jim-Mer

Jim-Mer Slowing Down Supporter

Oddometer:
    Also you may want to carefully inspect for any mouse infestation or damage. They especially like to live in the air box and eat paper filters. Don’t ask how I know!
    rider1150gsadv and Aurelius like this.
  8. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    There are ways of cleaning old fuel turned sludge at the bottom of the tanks and you could do few of those at your own garage with tank off of the bike...

There are chemicals to deal with it (need to be careful w plastic RT tank) or just put bunch of rocks/nuts/screws mixed w water/gas/etc then shaken vigorously to pick up sludge... Pressure rinse and repeat as necessary...

A bit of searching around should yield few ways you'd be comfortable with doing at minimal cost... :thumb
    Aurelius likes this.
  9. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    Inspect the wiring carefully as well.
    Mice chew the insulation.
    I've had 2 bikes that were damaged.
    One I found before a short ensued, the other burned up the harness when the battery was connected.
    The positive feeds (red wire) in the harness are unfused.

This is the one I found before it shorted
    20200222_163844.jpg

This one not
    IMGP5907.JPG
    18415 and Aurelius like this.
  10. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is one thing I'm going to let the dealership do. There's so much stuff to remove just to get to the fuel tank, and my bet is they're going to have to remove it anyway to install the new fuel pump assembly and fuel sensor.
  11. 18415

18415 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck with everything. I have the same year RT as well. It’s been a great bike. I would love to see a pic! 5A3113D6-70B5-43A2-8A65-30DAA96C446C.jpeg
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  12. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here it is: [​IMG]
    TonyKZ1, LAFS, Manifold and 1 other person like this.
  13. Manifold

Manifold Long timer

Oddometer:
    I started out typing the same but it's all covered above. Allow 500-1000 bucks. Tire date can be worked out from the code on the sidewall. If it was sitting on the tires they likely have a deformed wall anyway so change them.
  14. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's been sitting on the center stand, but I'll be putting new tires on it anyway as a safety precaution. Now I just have to scour the internet to see who gives the best tire prices these days, along with other stuff like oil filters, air filters, etc.
  15. Jim-Mer

Jim-Mer Slowing Down Supporter

Oddometer:
    I recommend supporting your local dealer with purchases of maintenance items, oil, filters, plugs, tires, etc. That will draw them into your project and they can be a source of good intel and advice. After all, we want our dealers to stay in business and be there when we need them for the difficult stuff.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  16. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trust me, there are plenty of saps willing to pay the ludicrous prices the BMW dealer in my area charges for parts and labor; they're in no danger of going out of business.
    cookiemech and 18415 like this.