RevLoc for LC4 is here!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by RL Lemke, Aug 30, 2004.

1. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    RevLoc has been putting their auto clutches in some KTM 625s. So, I asked about my 2001 LC4 and learned that at long last, their auto clutch is available. They are now ready for exchanges on clutch baskets yet, so you will have to send in yours and wait.
  2. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    hmmm...I wonder how they are on the street? interesting very interesting. :wink:
  3. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Yea... but I think there close to a grand :eek1
  4. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    :huh :fitz
  5. Tim

Tim Long timer

Oddometer:

Hummmm, I was interested 'till you said that!!!
  6. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Auto-clutches are for sissies.... :ymca

and Creep...what's with the:

ABCD puppies?
    LMNO puppies
    OSMR,
    CMPN?
  7. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Z-Start clutches are only around $400. Maybe they'll make one for the LC4.

I've read reviews on these things, and sissy or not, they are pretty cool. To me one of the neatest things is that you can take the clutch level off the bike completely if you want, and run a lever for the rear brake. This would help me considerably, as my right ankle is more or less fused from a previous getoff.
  8. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Read it outloud, fast on the letters, pause... then "puppies". :lol3
  9. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Your first language must be Farsi....

Or I'm learning disabled.... :doh

Your choice
  10. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    I guess it doesn't translate well without hearing it. :cry
  11. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    My clutch and $1000 are in to Revloc. With a 10 day backlog my ride report will have to wait a couple weeks. I will report, with photos, to y'all when I get to ride the LC4 on my favorite Ozarks trails.
  12. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to the inital report and a long term durability report as well RL.
    I can't afford one, but I have ridden a KTM equipped with one and it was great in the tight, steep shit. No worries about stalling. :thumb
  13. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    I just had a 5 minute spin on my LC4 with the latest version of the Revloc installed. 1st there are 3 settings for clutch engagement - low, med & high RPM. I have the low setting.

Idling you can put the gearbox into first without any movement in the bike. That's better than with the lever. With the low RPM setting it seems to engage at a higher RPM than I do with the lever. The engagement is also faster than I do. It is exciting to ride as the bike leaps forward unless you are a bit cautious with the throttle application. Wick the throttle a bit and you had better hang on as you will be riding the rear wheel only. So I guess lofting the front wheel for logs will be a snap. On the street, switching between the gears it is easy to loft the front wheel with each shift. Riding with the auto-clutch is different than the old Husky 470 auto I had, but just as easy. I am looking forward to putting a few hundred miles on the bike next week.
  14. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    BTW: There is a difference between the new 625 and the LC4. The gear on the back of the clutch is of a different size.
  15. daotoys1

daotoys1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please keep us up dated on your Revloc equipped KTM LC4...I have a 2002 KTM LC4 640 Adventurer....and Im thinking of Revlocing it too....

thanks alot....I look forward to your next report... :thumb :nod :ear
  16. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    OK here is the deal. After 300 miles use, including plenty of wet clay, rocks & slime, I have come to a conclusion. :thumb The Revloc is the hot ticket for riding off-road. All of the benefits of my old Husky 430 Auto, without any of the problems. The clutch lever still works for those that want to use it while shifting, but why?

The Revloc allows you to start the bike and kick it into gear while standing next to the bike. The bike doesn't move. Slowly apply the throttle and the bike moves forward like a car. Wick the throttle and you had better be pointed toward the wide open as engagement is crisp.

On the wet leaf covered rocks it sure was nice to not have to worry about clutch control.

$1000 well spent. Now I have an LC4 that works a heck of a lot better in the nasty trails. Also, on the twisty backroads the Revloc made it feel that I was squirting out of the switchbacks.
  17. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    so for those of us who don't like to wheelie out of every intersection..... how controllable is it on the street?
  18. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a semi-automatic transmission. I agree with creeper; longevitity and maintenance are the biggest issues as automatics are much more expensive to maintain than standards in cages.

A friend and I had our transmission rebuilt about the same time with the same fella. Sweet work: all new guts goes into a sandblasted and powdercoated shell (love the baby blue that went onto mine). My 65 Ford F100 3-speed was $600 bucks; my friends 57? Buick Wildcat (the electraglide? i believe) automatic was $2,000. OUCH.
  19. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    From what I understand you can set it up in like three? different configs. tight, medium and light engagment. I could be wrong but it seems thats what I heard. :ear
  20. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    The 3 settings are low, medium & high. I would have to assume that is the RPM of engagement. Since the LC4 is a torque monster I selected low. Works great.

As far as pavement. I like how it grabs the next gear and goes like a scalded dog. However, if you wanted to be Gold Wing about riding you can still use the clutch lever.

As far as clutch wear I think I will be better off with the Rev Loc as there is no drag when the bike is idling and much stronger clutch plate pressure when the engine RPM is up.

I had to learn a bit more throttle control to replace the clutch control. Much easier as throttle control and bike control always go along with the rule - When in doubt, gas it out.

While I am sure all of you are AA enduro level riders, I am a half assed rider. I find that my search for the Holy Trail gets me into situations that require more skill than I have. The auto clutch will give me the edge in those situations. Without any downside the rest of the time.

When I was placing ribbon for my annual dual sport ride, I was riding in sloppy mud and slime. The auto clutch made it a whole lot easier.

The other huge difference in my riding is the RPM the engine is running while on the trails. I tend to lug the engine when in uncertain terrain. Now I am riding in the meat of the torque band.