RevLoc for LC4 is here!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by RL Lemke, Aug 30, 2004.

1. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    If you are intrested in a rev-loc type auto clutch, but at a $425 price point rather than $1,000, you might check out the Rekluse Z-start clutch...

http://www.rekluse.com/

No offering for the LC4, though.

I have one on my DRZ, pretty damn cool!
  2. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    FWIW, a guy I know actually is a grade-a enduro-guru and he's been riding Rev-Loc for a long time. I haven't tried it yet, but I do know that the guy is always at the pointy end of whatever group that decides to leave regular folks behind. He says anyone poo-pooing the concept is ducking the truth.

Rev-Loc: I've heard and read enough about the setup to want one. No, make that two, maybe three. :nod

Thanks for adding your thoughts, RL.
  3. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Daymn, I hate threads like this. It makes it harder and harder for me to keep my head in the sand and say, "Stupid idea, stupid idea, I don't want one, I don't want one" :lol3

First, I gotta get me one of them thar magic little gold boxes :nod
  4. Badmunkie

Badmunkie ...and needing spanked!

Oddometer:
    received this reply to my inquiry:

Thank you for contacting Rekluse Motor Sports! Through further
    engineering and development we plan to grow our product line and further
    develop new and innovative motor sport accessories. Our next release is
    scheduled to be the LC-4 KTM models! Please keep us in mind as we may
    bring this model onboard by the end of this year. All Rekluse product
    release info can be found on our website. Thanks for your interest and
    ride on!

Rekluse Motor Sports

call toll free: 866-REKLUSE
    email: sales@rekluse.com
  5. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Little gold boxes? A steering damper? Hell, just tighten up them neck bearings Rad. :lol3
  6. vrago

vrago Plays with dirt

Oddometer:
    A buddy of mine and longtime Big Cat participants are active at rekluse. I've been patiently waiting for thier 640 LC4 application. I'll be sure to post a report.
  7. GODSPEED

GODSPEED finger lickin' good

Oddometer:
    Hey RL, any more feedback on the rekluse. Maintenance? Still going strong? Still liking it? :ear
  8. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I'll throw a little water on the fire. I had the EFM auto clutch on my gas gas ec300 for a while. I got rid of it. Whre I disliked it the most was on long high speed transfer sections/jeep roads where I wanted to back way down on the RPMs to save the engine and gas. It would lock in and out, kind of hunting like a car tranny does sometimes. I also couldn't stab the clutch to clear a log because the clutch pushrod would work its way back away from the clutch and back into the slave cylinder, requiring me to pump it several times. I loved it on grass tracks and other areas where you could really gas it hard out of a turn. All these things may have been fixable, but I didn't want to slave over the bike trying to get there. I learned a lot about where I wasn't gassing it hard enough out of turns, and I think it made me a little faster there. The ability to stop without pulling in the clutch was wasted by the poor idling ability of a 2-stroke. In short, I would try one again on an off-road four stroke with a cable operated clutch. The Rekluse seems to be the current hot setup due to performance seemingly equal to Revloc for a lot less.
  9. BLUE(UK)

BLUE(UK) Long timer

Oddometer:
    Orders being taken for LC4 semi auto rekluse clutches according to the UK advert in TBM(bike mag)

www.rekluse.co.uk
  10. hubilado

hubilado Motoquiero Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had Revloc clutches in three dirt bikes (KTM 400, 300, another 400) and they work, IMHO, fantastic for riding tight technical trails...wouldn't ride without one at this point. BUT I'm really wondering if that clutch will make such a difference on these big bikes which are, for the most part, ridden on pavement and dirt roads.....If you are trail riding on the 640 (you definitely have my admiration!!), then it oughtta be great.
  11. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry guys. I had intended to give all y'all a post Moab auto clutch ride report by now. I am in the middle of selling a huge project I have been working on for 5 years, and getting Baja suspension added to my 4Runner. So, I have had to postpone the Moab trip.

As for riding on the street with the auto clutch, it is six of one and a half dozen of the other. I don't find clutch control to be a big deal on the street. I have not found that the auto clutch made it easier or harder to blast down mountain twisty roads, nor any harder either. The auto clutch remains as many have said, the harder the trail the more the auto clutch is appreciated.
  12. gybeman

gybeman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I take it that it is not on an Adventure with a tach? Any idea what rpm hookup is at in the LOW setting ? What happens when you are cruisin along and want to downshift for more acceleration?.. just back off the gas and jab the shifter ? When you back off the gas do you still have engine braking until the revs drop below the hookup rpm? or does it coast ?
    Sorry for all the questions, but you told us you had one !
    Thanks in advance.
  13. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    LC4E - No Tach - It is set to the low setting so it engages right off idle. When riding and you let off the gas it remains engaged until the RMP brops below the low setting. Thus you get engine braking all the way down to nearly idle. When coasting and the RMP drops below the engagement point the bike will free-wheel until you blip the throttle and re-engage the auto clutch.

To shift up or down you merely let off the throttle somewhat. That way shifting is as smooth as with the clutch. Because of the auto clutch though, I didn't shift as much. The LC4 motor pulled so smooth and hard from a low RPM all the way up. I recall the ease of leaving it in a higher gear when climbing a very steep switchback gravel road. The clutch slips a bit where needed then locks once it should. On the twisty blacktop the engagement is not quite as smooth as I might do it myself. The transition from slip to lock is quicker than probably most street guys want. More like Duke shifting than Glod Wing shifting.
  14. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm really interested in any LC4 long term impressions/experience, especially with the $425 Rekluse. I'm pretty convinced that it's very desireable off road, and am more curious about durability and street use. Thanks.
  15. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've read down to part three of meats lc4 index. that's why you're seeing a thread from 2006 revived.

I found a discounted rekluse for a lc4e. Rekluse and revloc both say they don't make a clutch for my 97 rxc 620. I've looked at the parts fiche and it seems that following parts are the same on my 620 compared to the 640 lc4e: trans input shaft, outer clutch hub, inner clutch hub. In my estimation my clutch is the same as the lc4e. What could I be overlooking? Why wouldn't this rekluse work on my bike?

I know, i know, why rekluse on a heavy bike? It would add the final piece to a very versatile bike. The vaunted 6th gear. I could keep the 15/40 gearing and still ride it in the woods. To me, the bikes only heavy when I stall it.:lol3
  16. Nico

Nico The Sexiest of Silverbacks.

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap :clap

Link? Or is this a used/private deal? Care to divulge how much this will run?

I can't say for sure, but if all the part numbers are the same I see no reason it won't work. Maybe if the sales rep's for these companies are helpful, you can go through all the part numbers with them and get a solid opinion that it should or shouldn't work. (I'd guess they will be non-commital in the end, as they don't want to have you asking for a refund should it not work out.)

In looking at the fiche through Munn Racing, the inner and outer clutch hub part numbers are the same for the '97 and the '03. The clutch cover number is the same. Basically what you are saying.

I vote for doing the swap. It should work. If for some reason it doesn't fit, sell the part off to someone with the model year it was spec'd for.