RevZilla Gear Discussion / Q&A

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by BoochZilla, Jan 21, 2009.

1. explodingmouse

explodingmouse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Revzilla , I never did get the revit boots but I am currently looking at the new Klim bike goretex low boots for around town use , I take an eu size 41 in hiking boots and a 42 in crossfires but they have a lot of room for the toes if you think a us size 8 will fit true to eu 41 I will order a pair , I live in Australia so returning would noi be viable , looking forward to hearing what you think,
  2. zknezo

zknezo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. JoeyHonz

JoeyHonz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ordered a jacket last night.... 9 hours later get the notification it is shipped and will arrive tomorrow....

I've been happy every time I do business with them....

Just my $0.02
    RevZilla likes this.
  4. AuxPat

AuxPat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Revzilla,

What armor do you suggest for a mix of adv, dual sport and single track on a WR250R?

Just saw your new gear videos- digging them. I’d like some stand alone armor and go with a jersey or jacket/shell as needed. Looking for something flexible for a wide variety of conditions. Read Spurges article on clothes and want a flexible setup. Planning to do more BDR type trips- MABDR will be my first!

I’m specifically thinking about a Klim Carlsbad jacket/pants combo and a Leatt 3DF to pair with jerseys and to use the Carlsbad as a shell when using the body armor suit.

Any other suggestions or ideas? Other gear I’m wearing is a shoei x2, revit discovery outdry or sidi crossfire boots and a mix of gloves.

Other considerations have been hard armor like the 5.5 and fox titan. I was thinking hard armor might complement the numerous soft armor normal jackets I have, but I like the idea of soft armor shirt. Longer term I’m thinking about a neck brace and knee braces.

Which of these is the newer or better model of the 3DF? Both have the same price. The url is the only way I can tell a difference- adding some text would be nice as the reviews seem duplicated.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/leatt-3df-airfit-body-protector-2016

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/leatt-3df-airfit-body-protector
  5. RevZilla

RevZilla Best on Two Wheels!

Oddometer:
    Hey explodingmouse,

Since we have a pair of the Klim Outlander GTX Boots size 8/41 here at ZLA HQ, I went ahead and measured the actual insole for you and got 27.5cm in length. That way, you can measure your own hiking boots for an even comparison.

Hope this helps!

-DrewZilla
    2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold...it was a good 11 years)
    1986 Honda XR250R (Needs some love)
  6. RevZilla

Oddometer:
    Hey zknezo,

So I did some digging and found out that our shipment is already in transit to the US, so it's just a matter stock arriving and getting through customs. Customs waits are always up in the air, but it should be pretty soon. Once arrived, they'll be up on the site.

Best,

-DrewZilla
    2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    zknezo likes this.
  7. RevZilla

Oddometer:
    Hey AuxPat,

Like Spurgeon, I definitely recommend the Leatt 3DF AirFit with a jersey for technical off-road riding and a shell for road/ADV riding. The Fox Titan is ok, but it doesn't really work well with neck braces. It also doesn't absorb as much energy in an impact. You're better off with the Leatt 3DF. As for the difference between the two you linked, the 2016 is the previous model. The general rule is that if you see a year in the URL, it's the older model. Leatt hasn't decided to lower the price on the 2016 version, which is why the prices are the same between the two. Personally, I'd go with the newer, non-2016 version, as it's even more breathable than the 2016 version. That's the main difference. If you just want a Klim shell without D3O, you might consider the Klim Traverse. If you do want D3O to have as an option, the Carlsbad Jacket and Pants are a great choice.

Regards,

-DrewZilla
    2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC
  8. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    Hey Revzilla! Y'all have come REALLY close to creating what looks like a near-prefect jacket for me with the Reax Ridge (I just wish a nearly $500 jacket came with a back protector... something I have seen Anthony nitpick about other similar coats). What is the recommended back protector for someone who isn't a fan of d30? Also, are there plans to make Ridge pants in a color other than light grey? Black perhaps or even the green scheme to match the jacket?
    zknezo likes this.
  9. RevZilla

Oddometer:
    Hey flux_capacitor,

I am also impressed with the Ridge Jacket and Pants and will probably be picking the set up myself for my own adventuring. I hear ya on the back protector, but including a back protector would have bumped the cost of the jacket up. Instead, the design team figured that a lot of people already have a back protector from another jacket or have their own preference for a back protector (hence the brand-agnostic pocket shape). Additionally, the larger established brands produce in much higher quantities and so can offer a decent price on back protectors. Personally, I really like the Alpinestars Nucleon KR-2i. It's CE Level 2, really breathable and flexible, and lighter than D3O. Although Alpinestars doesn't say who manufactures the Nucleon for them, our gut says it's SAS-TEC. It's very similar to the lightweight Level 2 SAS-TEC limb armor in the REAX Ridge Jacket and Pants. As for colors, the team had to start small on the pant color. If things go well, we'll likely expand pant colors, but it won't be immediately.

Hope this helps!

-DrewZilla
    2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    flux_capacitor likes this.
  10. TBTSyncro

TBTSyncro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any ship/availability dates on the Cardo Packtalk bold or slim? :)
  11. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    Thanks @RevZilla for the reply. That makes sense. I believe I’ll be saving up for that jacket and give it a whirl. Will take a look at that A* back protector too, good info.

At 6’3”, 200lbs, and liking a snug but not tight fit, I’m thinking a large jacket? I hope to see some black pants soon so count me in on that if it increases the chances for production lol. I know like 3 people so your pants would be pretty famous haha. ;)
  12. RevZilla

Oddometer:
    Hey TBTSyncro,

No specific dates for the new Bold and Slim yet. I'm definitely interested in them though! The latest info from them has been 'Stay Tuned.'

-DrewZilla
    2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC
  13. ssevy

ssevy retired and riding the backroads

Oddometer:
    Hi Drew,
    I need a new lid and currently wear an XL Arai Vector 2.
    I tried on a 6D dirt bike helmet yesterday in 2XL, and it was very tight to get down over my head.
    Is the ATS-1 street helmet also a really tight collar?
    I measure 24”, and could not imagine trying to get anything tighter over my noggin!
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. RevZilla

Oddometer:
    Hey flux_capacitor,

What's your chest size as well?

-DrewZilla
    2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC
  15. CreatureCore

CreatureCore Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Now that you guys are making gear is there anywhere to give feedback? My 2 gripes with the jacket is the arm adjuster is by the bicep instead of the forearm to hold the armor in place and the main annoyance is something a bunch of companies do at the wrist. The 2 way zipper to the wrist and then the velcro over the zipper. This makes it impossible to fold the wrist area in a comfortable manor. If using a 2 way zipper in that area i dont understand why manufactures are not having the velcro closure go the other way with a gusset underneath so that it can fold neatly under your gloves. Other than that jacket and pants seem to be pretty great for the money. If the pants came in a black I know i would pick up a pair to use with my overland jacket.
  16. RevZilla

Oddometer:
    Hey ssevy,

I had a chance to pull the helmet from our inventory, and it is indeed a narrow opening to get your head into. Once on, it fits true to size (standard medium for me). Based on the fit, I don't recommend it for you. Have you tried an Arai Signet-X or Arai DT-X? I've found that Arai is the way to go in that regard.

Best,

-DrewZilla
    2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC
  17. RevZilla

Oddometer:
    Hey CreatureCore,

Thanks for the feedback! I've already gone ahead and bubbled it up.

-DrewZilla
    2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC
  18. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the 33" inseam going to be enough for you and your height? I was all excited when I saw the review and thought the pants were just what I was looking for (basically something like a Latitude, without the Goretex price), then saw there were no Tall sizes.

Revzilla, please offer tall sizes through the mid-range at some point. 35-36" inseams, like Klim.
    RevZilla likes this.
  19. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    Actually, no that inseam doesn’t work for me. In fact, unfortunately, the entire suit’s fit is just bizarre. I was stoked to come across the suit at Cycle Gear this weekend. Got to try it all on and check it out in person. I wanted to love it. But I couldn’t.

I normally wear a Large or maybe XL in some jackets. But this thing was too small even in an XL. The sleeves were way too short and to a previous posters point the zipper vent/Velcro sleeve closure is just bulky and coupled with the liner’s sleeve terminating right here it was just to bulky creating pressure points on my wrist. The armpits were also way too tight and shoulders too. Pretty bummer that it didn’t fit at all. The main zip being that “waterproof” zipper also doesn’t open/close too easily and in fact the zipper on both jackets I tried on got stuck at the bottom when i was trying to take it off. No good.

If it does fit you, you’d have a really swell jacket and pants for the most part. I still think that a nearly $500 jacket deserves to come with some sort of back protector though. For $550 bucks (after back protector purchase) there are better options sadly. If revzilla could get the sizing sorted and refine a few little things they would really have something here. The material feels fantastic and the quality feels very good as well.

Even the guy at Cycle Gear said three employees there and several customers had the same things to say, so it’s not just me. I hope to see a revised version out in the future. I won’t be giving up on the Reax brand.

Just my honest feedback. YMMV as they say.
    RevZilla likes this.
  20. RevZilla

Oddometer:
    Hey flux_capacitor,

Thanks for the feedback. We really do appreciate it, as we can't make improvements without it!

Best,

-DrewZilla
    2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    flux_capacitor likes this.