Rewiring for LEDs with the 09 and later Hazard Button

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by DirtyBastard, Jan 30, 2020.

1. DirtyBastard

DirtyBastard Your time is limited, so don't waste it.

Oddometer:
    Okay, I am one of those guys, getting sucked into the LED trend.

I bought a set of front and rear LED blinkers, and I also ordered the flasher. (Yoshimura blinkers for the rear, AddMore flush bark buster type for the front) Welp, I searched here, and I can't find anything online that talks about the install. But if this is anything like my Guzzi, I need to replace the flasher. But where the heck is it on my Baja? I'd rather not go inline resistors, but I guess if I have to, I will. But this new flasher already cost me cash. :photog

Any help would be so awesome.
  2. KTM267

KTM267 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just did my LEDs the other day. It’s on the right side in the fairing. Take the right upper fairing off and you can see it.

Edit: mine is an ‘07. I think yours may be part of the Hazard switch.
    DirtyBastard likes this.
  3. jhalfhide

jhalfhide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2013, part of the hazard button
    DirtyBastard likes this.
  4. DirtyBastard

Oddometer:
    Hummmm. That doesn’t sound very straight forward... I was hoping to swap the OG with the new LED flasher. Any ideas on how to approach this?
  5. DirtyBastard

Oddometer:
    I just found this:
    “I believe that the 2009 onward have the flasher relay built into the hazard light button assembly and therefore no special LED flasher relay will work for these later models. You will need to fit resistors to each indicator. Apparently you can buy resistors with the KTM plugs so is just a plug and play senario.”.

Okay, so I guess I need resistors. Ugh. Anybody know what wattage and Ohm I should be hunting for? I see 50w 6ohm versions available, but I see guys using 10ohm/25w?
  6. jhalfhide

jhalfhide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could always use a variable pot one and twist to suit.

I thought about it, then realised it was part of the hazards and immediately gave up and still run stock.

I also briefly thought about moving the hazard button to somewhere near the left switchgear... It's still in the OEM position
    DirtyBastard likes this.
  7. DirtyBastard

Oddometer:
    Yeah the more I think about it, it seems like a trivial upgrade. But I’ve spent the money now, so I’m in. I’ve done both systems in the past. Inline resistors on a Harley bobber I built a while back, and LED flasher on my current Guzzi. I just didn’t like the hokie quality of resistors (stiff thick wires) . But that may be my final fix.

I imagine I can’t be the only one who’s gone LED on a hazard / flasher type bike?
  8. DirtyBastard

Oddometer:
    Okay, well I’ll run inline resistors. Another thing I can’t find is a proper wiring diagram for my 2013. On my bike, the tail light and blinkers have separate lines. The tail light is easy with running, brake and ground. The blinkers have an extra wire.

brown = ground
    White = running?
    Purple = left
    Black = right

my blinker (Japanese)
    Red
    Black

So, 2 wires (left and right) black to brown
    One of each red wire to the correct left and right wires purple and black

That leaves one white. What the heck is that for? Hazards???

Attached Files:

9. DirtyBastard

Oddometer:
    For anyone that might want to know,
    don’t use the white wire coming from the blinker cluster. Works fine now, just waiting for a pair of resistors. Next is the front set.

Attached Files:

jhalfhide likes this.
  10. LilYoda

LilYoda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you don't want to use your hazard switch, you're probably better off with one or two standard LED compatible flashers units.
    See here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/hazard-warning-button.1036222/
    I've been working on a design that's as plug and play as possible, ideally that only uses one flasher unit, and that keeps the hazard function (possibly relocated somewhere else on the handlebar). But it's nowhere near ready yet.
    DirtyBastard likes this.
  11. DirtyBastard

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of using proper flashers. I’ve had resistors fail on my old Harley. My Guzzi uses a proper LED flasher and works perfect, without any overheating.

I may have found a post discussing two LED flashers being used, (maybe yours?) but without a step by step (color codes, etc) I would probably panic. I’m about 50% electrician, able to problem solve, but only with a clear direction. But the post does make it sound kinda straight forward: Purple white to relay 1, Black white to relay 2. Guessing the rest of the wires are cut and butted.

Your plug and play option sounds very interesting. I’m sure we aren’t the only ones with late model bikes, wanting to upgrade to LED.
  12. LilYoda

LilYoda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, not my post. It's from another inmate.

1) Purple/white is input, continuous 12V coming from the left handlebar toggle. Black/white is same thing, for the opposite side blinkers
    -> connect each of these two cables to the positive plug of a standard, LED-compatible, 2 plug blinker relay. Each cable should have its own blinker relay. Purple/white goes to the input of a blinker relay, and black/white to the input of another blinker relay.
    2) black and purple are outputs, blinking 12V signals that go to your blinkers.
    -> So you plug them to the corresponding output plug on the blinker relays.
    3) Isolate and butt all other wires.
    4) Blinkers should work, but you no longer have hazard switch.

It's cumbersome because you need two blinker relays (one for each side)

Also I'm not sure if the LED on the dashboard still works with this. I'm still waiting for parts to start different ways to fix my blinker situation...
    DirtyBastard and mountaincadre like this.
  13. DirtyBastard

Oddometer:
    Well, I started the investigation on this hazard plug.

I was actually looking for a used beat spare hazard button (I have asked in the Fleamarket) as it seems ashame to ruin a perfectly good unit. Regardless, I looked at my wires, and they do not match the described colors above. (check out the diagram)

I am guessing black/red are grounds, and that I'm connecting two of the striped wires to the positive leads of the LED flashers. If this sounds right, anyone, please chime in. I'd rather not burn something up, while trying this. ; ) Huge thanks in advance. :photog

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 5.54.21 PM.png
  14. DirtyBastard

Oddometer:
    And more... "The colours are relative to the main harness side of the plug." Good Lord this is fun. I can't get to the other side of the plug, so I guess I'll be spending the weekend digging deeper.
    Looking closer at this photo, (from the button side) it looks like white to positive Flasher 1, gray to positive Flasher2. Grounds to black and red lines.

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 6.36.15 PM.png
  15. LilYoda

LilYoda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh so they didn't keep the same color scheme on both side of the plug... Why oh why was this allowed in engineering dpt... :becca

OK, assuming they kept the same color on the two wires that also connect to the same plug on the harness side, that would mean the matching would be as follows

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 5.54.21 PM.jpg

Check if you can see at least one of the colors on the harness side to cross-check

So if this is correct, the correct color wiring from the plug side would be:

1) LT BLUE is input, continuous 12V coming from the left handlebar toggle. WHITE is same thing, for the opposite side blinkers
    -> connect each of these two cables to the positive plug of a standard, LED-compatible, 2 plug blinker relay. Each cable should have its own blinker relay. Purple/white goes to the input of a blinker relay, and black/white to the input of another blinker relay.
    2) BLACK/GREEN and BLACK/BLUE are outputs, blinking 12V signals that go to your blinkers.
    -> So you plug them to the corresponding output plug on the blinker relays.
    3) Isolate and butt all other wires.
    DirtyBastard likes this.
  16. DirtyBastard

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Yes, strange that they wouldn’t just match the color code on the hazard button side. I’m gonna dig into the main harness tomorrow. I’ll post what I find and hopefully help others. I would imagine upgrading to LED would be more common. Thank you for the advice! I’ll let you know what I find.
  17. LilYoda

LilYoda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One thing that I do not know yet is whether the bulb in the dash is going to be an issue or not... Often, when changing to LED blinkers, the traditional dash bulb acts as a short, and both sides blinkers are on when you toggle on one side. Let us know

If that happens, you'll have to modify the dash bulb wiring to add diodes. Something like that (top part is before wiring, bottom part after diode addition). Don't watch the colors, this diagram is for an XT600, and green & brown are positive wires from the blinkers (similar to purple and black on the KTM)

[​IMG]
    DirtyBastard likes this.
  18. DirtyBastard

Oddometer:
    I think it may be an additional issue. I wired my Guzzi flash bulb using a diode the similar way. My blinkers came with a kit that I’m assuming is just a fancy shrink wrapped diode. I’ll definitely let you know how it goes.
  19. DirtyBastard

Oddometer:
    Early morning dig, and the colors jive! (Thanks) 239C553E-9C01-4B5B-84D1-079B938429BE.png
  20. DirtyBastard

Oddometer:
    Now anticipating the blinker bulb... gonna have to find a wiring diagram. It’s quite the spaghetti. D9A75C8D-1C7E-4D3A-A542-798D7F027D76.jpeg