"RFS" Build for more fun!!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Wattner, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Wattner

Wattner Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well ,here we go again!!!! Now that CycleWizard has built the "L" for long distance road work and single track thrown in at the end of a long destination bike.... It's time for a Dual Sport Bike for the single track that is street legal.

We have a great start in the form of an '07 525 EXC. It has a ton of goodies: HID front light, Guts tall soft seat shaved flat with a gripper cover (burnin' in an email to James Renazco next.... GOTTA, MUST have his seat mojo on all my stuff now!), flex handlebars, suspension by superplush, extra oil capacity, overflow catch tank, rad guards, carbon skid plate and all sorts of other gaggle and goodies installed by the previous owner.

The bike has ran like a champ, had very few problems (previous owner and supposed bike builder ((Yea right:rofl))installed stuff.. ) and has been confidence inspiring and just plain fun. It's manners are more open style single track, mountain road and serves quite well in the super rough (as I came off of big XR's) and have zero complaints about the ergos, handling, suspension and ohhh... The 6th gear is magic after the big Hondas.

Lacking, is of course power. I crave large power, and while the stock power is equal to a mildly breathed on XR, it is different... Hits more lineal, grunts from lower, rev's freely, etc., etc... I have been reading for years about the motor work some of the gurus have been performing. LukasM, Cut7, Caflash, DJH, Travis at Thumper (many from KTMTalk...) have simply changed the bikes from the factory offerings and now I want to build up this bike with their help and parts.

CW has the bike now, will be tearing the motor out and has been handed the reigns to build the motor. Fortunately, the bike is in fantastic condition and will just need a cleaning, lube the bearings and maybe a chain and some brake pads. We have some new plastics on the way, so it will look as fresh as the motor will be. We may (probably not...) go with a cush rear hub, but other than that tis should be a fairly rapid build.

CW, post up some pic's of the "Before" if you will.....
    Here is one of the few pic's I have of the bike:

[​IMG]
  2. Ironwood

Ironwood Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer:
    What are you going to do about the valve train and the small oil capacity? Or does it matter?

Joe
  3. Wattner

Oddometer:
    Full port, polish, stainless valves, springs and Ti-retainers(???) I have added oil capacity now with a remote billet reservoir, but CW will be looking into higher capacity oil pumps, an HT oil cooler, or???? (yet to be determined...) From what I can read, the oil capacity has not been an issue with frequent oil changes.

We will be going full tilt on the motor, I'll let CW fill in the details... He is speaking with the gurus and will decide on the best route and direction to go in.

On this one, I trust CW to figure out the details and let us know.... I'll learn along with everyone else. This is uncharted territory for me. I have read relatively no bad feedback on going big, as long as it's done right!
  4. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    get a cush! i gotta a 450 SMR that the cush hub totally transformed. w/o it, it was real snatchy at pretty much any maintenance throttle unless you were totally ripping close to WFO. couldn't really ride in 6th on the street, and 5th wasn't much better.... now w/the cush, you can lug it way down. totally different bike.... and w/the wicked power pulses these thumpers put out, don't try to tell me they don't need one... i was getting flakes in my oil screens when i first got the thing, and since i've got a cush, they've disappeared. i really don't know the history of the bike, and it may have been pretty new, so that's where the flakes came from, so i dunno..... i gotta KTM cush wheel from some punk on ebay, had to readjust the spoke offset, but it's good. i'm pretty sure it's the hub from the 690's. it's still too big a rim, most are 5" behrs for 165 dunlop race slicks, so you'll probably have to get another rim, or..... i talked to zack at woody's and he can hook you up with a cush rear. i'm gonna get one to ride dual sport in utah this summer.... my $.03.....
  5. Wattner

Oddometer:
    We have talked about it, and still are on the fence... This bike will always have knobbiest and will be used to get to and from the dirt for single track duties. That combined with the cush clutch basket should do it, but we may end up with the cush hub. It's just $$$ right?:rofl
  6. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    i dunno about the clutch basket. mine's got a slipper, being a SMR, and i don't think it's a KTM one. seen pics of the KTM one, and it don't look like mine, so... mine looks physically small, and it's red anodized aluminum.... so if the stock, non-slipper one's got springs, it might be better? mine really sukked w/the solid hub, though.... i ain't backing it in, so the cush is excellent for me, and i think even the real fast bikes use them..... i read your thread at KTMTalk, and if you're talking about a 600, a cush couldn't be a bad idea..... i bet those big bore motors really bark...... how do you like that headlight, i gotta get one that is better than the couple of small candles that i have now.....
  7. Wattner

Oddometer:
    I'll look into the cush hub... I LOVE the HID light. Add the ADV Monster 44 Lights with remote dimmer: http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-QualiRegResou/-strse-26/Black-Model-44-LED/Detail.bok and you will have one of the best light set-ups available that won't blind traffic and/or get brights flashed. (my experience so far....)

I am considering an HID upgrade to my "L" from the Halogen and just use the ADV Monsters for High beam. The HID and LED's cut fog and are simply amazing. The light is bright, white and real close to natural... Not Yellow or Blue in the least. Short of full on Race lights, I have not seen anything close
  8. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  9. motodirtlover

motodirtlover Motodirtlover

Oddometer:
    I am also following your thread on ktmtalk....
    A couple of tips from a long time RFS rider:
    Get the trail-tech high output stator kit (with reg-rect) and do the DC conversion asap. (sounds like it may be already done)
    Engine Ice
    Shorter squirt pump diaphragm. (stock is 3 sec.) I use the Honda which is .75 sec. (or JD jetting "nub" that fits on the stock pump diaphragm)
    Motion-pro longer throttle cables.
    KTM fan kit.
    Aftermarket front screen cap replacement. (the hex key bolt-cap lower front) Those stock ones are horrible to get out.
  10. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Hi Wattner,

The RFS doesn't have a cush clutch basket, so if you are going to ride on pavement at all the cush hub is a good idea. IMO it will even help on a high power bike in the dirt. Having to split an engine because of a stripped countershaft sucks.

(This is a XC4 with 12k or so on it, and that one even has a clutch hub!):
    [​IMG]
  11. Wattner

Oddometer:
    Great Idea!!! Will do!

Thanks for the tips!!!! Keep 'em coming!
  12. Wattner

Oddometer:
    I'll agree that it's a good idea.... I'll look into a Rad rear cush and/or a stock LC-4 or 690 rear wheel....

It is the little things like this that add longevity... For some reason I thought the RFS motors had a cush clutch... Thanks for confirming I was wrong :D
  13. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    690 rear wheel won't fit, hub is too wide. The RAD and Haan Wheels hubs are good, as is the stock KTM hub from a 640 Adventure and the like. Talon makes a cush hub too but the rubbers don't hold up well and are expensive. :thumb
  14. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    yeah, i forgot.... i was talking up my KTM cush hub, but it wouldn't fit in my rear as it was..... i had to machine .070"(if i remember correctly.....) off my brake hanger, now it's fine......
  15. Cumbacheech

Cumbacheech XRated

Oddometer:
    Wattner Another one???:evil This will be a BAD ASS bike!!!

SUBSCRIBED...

Cheers,

Cumbacheech