"Richland Furnace - 6/10/2007"?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Booga, May 31, 2007.

1. Booga

Booga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm so ready to roll, tires are changed (well switched to the dirt set), and the chain is clean (for now) :evil

Front:
    [​IMG]

Rear:
    [​IMG]

Spares?:huh
    [​IMG]
  2. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Yeah - and you will kick our butts even worse with the WR.

The 9fiddy is all back together and ready to roll. The helicoils worked great, HC! Thanks again. :clap

Just heard from Shayes70. He might come down - but he just rode all day back from BYOB. He said the storms rolled in last night and drenched everything. :cry Thankfully, there was good riding before that happened.

Should be nice and bright and sunny tomorrow!

Dave
  3. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    Looks a bit like the tread on my Kenda track master?
  4. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Here's some pictures from today. Great riding with everyone and meeting the LocalRiders from Cinci. Hopefully everyone had as good a time as I did. And sorry to Luke for the roost (and anyone else who may have gotten behind the 9fiddy at an inopportune time....)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    I think Dave gets the adventure rider award for the day, he was in good form and riding stuff like a pro. Even if he did roost me with mud.:lol3
    So we all meet up at Tar Hollow 10:30ish and hit the trail by 11:30ish. Had to get a social time for the North to greet the South.:D Then it was off the the closest trail at the "poker run hill".
    [​IMG]
    From there we hit some "Larry" trails. He still kicks butt on that WR.:wink: Then through McAuthor for gas and on to Son of Peacock. As I said Dave was riding aggressive and with agressive riding comes slips.
    [​IMG]
    From Son of Peacock we went to lunch and became the object of much envy from the "cruisers" in the lot and the on lookers pumping their gas.
    [​IMG]
    Finally we made it to the furnace in the back way, I liked it. We had a little fun going through tunnels (see Daves Photos) then HC showed us his stuff on a verticle incline. Again Dave showed big balls! Big applause for doing that Dave:deal
    [​IMG]
    important thing is you made it and know you can do it now.:clap
    [​IMG]
    Was Tom coming to help or showing off? :rofl
    [​IMG]
    Then we rode up a gas pipe line with some excellent water breaks. I really love getting air on these, but I too have to pay the price for agressive riding and caught a poor landing. Nothing broken and no thrown mirrors!:lol3
    Finnally we started back but not before Tom attacked this!:eek1
    [​IMG]
    First run was flawless, but since no one had a camera out he made a second run. He picked a bad line and had to lay the bike down. Only a pro can lay a bike down on a verticle like this and not have it tumble to the bottom![​IMG]
    We even had visitors stop to watch him get the bike down. We had told them it was safe to pass but I think they said something along the lines of, " Naw, we can't miss this!":1drink
    [​IMG]
    Third run he easily cleared it again with a nice roost at the top to make a point.
    [​IMG]
    From there I tried to get us back to Tar Hollow on the base map with nothing but an old track to go by. In the end I missed a turn but Larry knew where we were and lead us home over "poker run hill" again.
    Great ride, everyone did great and I think we all had a good time. Hope to see our Southern breathern on more rides this year.
    Oh, did anyone get a shot of the hottie on the four wheeler at Richland Furnace???!!!:evil Please post it up!:lol3 Nothing like a hottie in the mud.:rofl
  6. ohiofathead

ohiofathead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man, what a great ride. It was good to meet you guys and I appreciate you taking it easy on those of us slowly riding the slow, small stuff.

Thanks also for the great pics. I have video of "Tom's Trip" - both versions. Which one should I show? :D

Time to get rid of the Guzzi street bike and gear up for more of this...
  7. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Glad you had fun. And if you are really looking for a DS bike, there are a couple good used KLR's I know about that can be had for $2,500 and under. As HC has shown - you can do amazing things with them. And you can beat 'em, but it is really hard to kill one.:evil

Thanks for the compliments, Luke. The only place I had a drop (multiple) was on "Son of Peacock". Man, it just kicked my ass. May have been the 5 lbs of air on the front tire of a 500 pound beast?:dunno That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

I just about did. I was lauging too hard though at her ATTGAT. No helmet, a very nice T-shirt, but she did have all-terrain flip-flops!

The funny part was that I ended up parting company with Scott and Jason and ran 50 up to Chillicothe and then 23 to Columbus. I had stopped at this little filling station to air up, and as timing would have it, you guys crossed 50 in front of me going north. I saw that screaming yellow jacket (on Ohiofathead?) I was going to fall in line, but I was having too much fun running 10 over the speed limit. Made it home by 6:30, including a stop at TractorSupply in Circleville to replace my lost ear plugs. Man, what a difference. People in there looked at me kind of funny. I DID take off my helmet when I went in. :rofl

Amen to that. Hope we didn't scare 'em too much.

Dave
  8. Booga

Booga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great ride everybody. I'm still working on the pictures, and with a little luck we got some video of the hottie :evil
  9. Sherpadude

Sherpadude Yamaha FJ-09 Smitten

Oddometer:
    Hey--great riding with you guys! You really showed me what I've been missing for the last three decades. (SERIOUSLY)!!!

The little Sherpa finally got "down and dirty," and will no longer be the same. :clap

Looking at some of the photos, I wish I could have stayed for the final ride segment(s)! Wow, that was an awesome hill Tom took on! I made it back to New Albany at about 5:00 for my birthday party bonus (ice cream and cake).

Joern--thanks for organizing this at Cincy LocalRiders.com. Look forward to hookup and ride again sometime!

Cheers all ... Jeff
  10. Booga

Booga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bikes are Tar Hollow:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Somewhere resting
    [​IMG]

Hill at Richland
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The holycaveman
    [​IMG]
    Close up:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next try :D
    [​IMG]

Close up:
    [​IMG]

There is also some video, which I still need to edit. It'll take me days to get thru the footage :evil
  11. Booga

Booga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dave, do you have a high res of this:
  12. John S

John S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amen. Really enjoyed riding with you guys, you have some great trails. Thanks for inviting us along. I have some pics I will have to work on getting loaded. None are any better that whats up now but there are a couple good ones of Tom on the hill.
  13. Booga

Booga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    I will email it to you. If anyone else wants a hi-res of a pic I have, just PM me your email address and I will send it.

Dave
  15. shayes70

shayes70 its damper not dampener

Oddometer:
    What a great ride yesterday. Any reservations I had about bailing early on the BYOB rally early vanished at the first creek crossing. It was good meeting the guys from Cinci and of course seeing the central Ohio RIDING regulars.

A Super Sherpa & a TW?..........in a word, Awesome. Cool bikes and riders. I feel comfortable speaking for the other north guys on this one. We don't care what you ride, the fact that you're out there is what matters. Run what ya brung, its all good with us and we're happy to have ya. So no more of this "slow guys on slow bikes" stuff. Everytime I looked back you all were cruising right along.

I had a great time. The trail conditions were good and everyone rode well. I got home, got the bike washed, then reflected on the day's ride w/ a couple of cold ones and a pizza. I couldn't think of one thing to bitch about.
  16. jrockrat

jrockrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just tossing in a quick post to agree with everybody else about a great day of riding with some great people. Good to meet some new riders, hope you all come back up whenever you can. I've got some video and a couple of pics to post sometime tonight hopefully.
  17. jrockrat

jrockrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's my contribution to the pics

Break time on some trail/road out in the hills
    [​IMG]

More water crossings
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

shayes70 trying a different line
    [​IMG]

Tom and the hill (pic and video) I know others have this from a different angle and also have his successful attempts so please post those too. I still can't get over how steep this hill really is compared to how it looks in the pictures.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. ohiofathead

ohiofathead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's an edited clip showing Tom's climb and trip back down. Like jrockrat said, the video really doesn't show how steep this hill is.

[​IMG]
  19. holycaveman

holycaveman Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Yea, from this angle it looks like I made it. But three of us couldn't get my bike up it was so steep we kept sliding back down. The real steep part was at the roots. Not quite verticle, but pretty darn close. The bike had another 10-15 foot before I was clear of the hill. But even when clear its still on an incline. The picture needs tilted abit:lol3

Thanks for posting my mess ups! LOL It was all in fun.

Thanks to every one for making this such a good time. Really enjoyed meeting the new guys, hope to see you again for future rides.

Booga, special thanks to you for lugging those 4 tires, all the way up from cinci!!!

Thanks to Dave950, Buildit, and Ohioroadrat, for taking us on these great trails.

Shays70 can take that 950superenduro about anywhere. You guys I have been riding with now for alittle while have really caught on to trail riding. You guys are doing great. I think you boys could take those "pig of a dirtbike" scoots and do just about any dualsport around. Keep up the good work!!
  20. Sherpadude

Sherpadude Yamaha FJ-09 Smitten

Oddometer:
    Thanks again to everyone for making this such an enjoyable ride and day! I haven't had this much off-road fun in YEARS, and it was great to meet everyone.

Wish I could have witnessed your assault on that hill, Tom. It looks like a beast!

Look forward to hookup for a ride again!

Jeff