Richmond Va chatter

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by mikeinrichmond, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Dirtmonkey8

Dirtmonkey8 VA is for Riders

Oddometer:
    It was posted here by Jeff Munn, but that was two or three years back, I think. He has not been posting much since, so it may be easy to find his profile and search his public posts. Tee crossing was across Lake Gaston. Look at Google maps where I-85 crosses Gaston, switch to satellite view and look just to the east. I considered doing this crossing Saturday, but figured I should wait for company and not go it alone.
  2. BlakKrauStudios

BlakKrauStudios I'm cool... right?

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Yeah, I guess I forgot it was that long ago.

Thanks for the info. Kudos if you can try it out. I'm far too afraid of water to even get close to it. The video itself gave me the heebie-jeebies.
  3. MotoMujer

MotoMujer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know several here crossed that thing and lived to tell the tale, but I've walked enough of it to be a solid

[​IMG]
    BlakKrauStudios and blalor like this.
  4. MotoMujer

MotoMujer Long timer

Oddometer:
    CowboyRR likes this.
  5. MAN OF BLUES

MAN OF BLUES COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer:
    supposedly, TWO, down in Suches Ga., is now open again, for camping, and cabins (not lodge/bunkhouse yet) and "outside food consumption".. some COG folks were there last week, looked like fun, I miss all of them, and the venue..

I think the BRMC is working hard, to get fully opened also, camping, and outdoor foods..
    I need to get out of the North, and down south... soon...
    y'all ride safe, where ever ya go.. please..
    MotoMujer likes this.
  6. blalor

blalor Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those go over pants, right? What sort of pants do you wear?
  7. blalor

blalor Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've seen a few photos here and there, including one in this thread with folks posed on it. Looks awesome, but it also looks like the RR ties have gaps between them and I can't help but imagine needing to put a foot down, missing, and all the terrible things that could follow. Because I *am* a total, accident-prone klutz, and having imagined it means it would probably happen.
    MotoMujer likes this.
  8. Charles

Charles Formerly known as Dr Whipit Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is a vid from a few years ago. It's only psychologically intimidating. It's like riding on a narrow one lane road.

9. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i use the guards direct to the leg with over the boot type riding pants.
    blalor likes this.
  10. BlakKrauStudios

BlakKrauStudios I'm cool... right?

Oddometer:
    This was the exact video I remember.

Oy.
    blalor likes this.
  11. MotoMujer

MotoMujer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Low probability / high consequence. This exact ride came to mind when I was following Tom in the muck over a short bridge maybe 10' up, bike straight, and managed to get spun 90 degrees with the bike slamming hard on its side. I managed to step off the peg and land on my feet, but the force was such that I took some two steps before I got my footing. I had just enough space; had the bridge been any more narrow, as in the video, and I'd have been over the edge. Nope nope nope. I'd build a floaty and paddle the bike across first.

Edit: And I have jumped both out of a plane and off of a cliff. But those involved nifty air brakes.

Edit 2: Who am I kidding. I'd have someone else build me a floaty. I fired myself from handling power tools and hammers years ago. Will wield a chain saw though.
    Charles, bigloop67 and blalor like this.
  12. Dirtmonkey8

Oddometer:
    I strongly encourage you to not use a chainsaw if you are at all uncomfortable or uncoordinated with construction power tools and a hammer. the chain saw may seem simple and your methods safe, but it can bite you anywhere with one error of many forms. My guess is high probability/ significantly high consequence for your chainsaw if a hammer ever got the best of you. Sorry to come at you, but I like you and want you to be safe.
  13. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    The bridge remind me of the Pictures of the guy going over a rail road bridge in Canada. May have been the Yukon and the only route. The pictures show him and his bike hanging on with his head and upper body above the tracks.

Here is link to an article. I’d do it but walk it first.

https://www.adventurebikerider.com/watch-bikers-falls-railroad-track/
  14. bigloop67

bigloop67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    DAY-UM, That is difficult to watch, Even worse when I consider I have done the same thing many times. If there is a difference it would be the 2 "sleepers beams" in the video don't have any structure under them. If I ever put myself in this position again you can bet I'll be looking!
  15. MotoMujer

MotoMujer Long timer

Oddometer:
    The sawzall was the worst!
  16. Dirtmonkey8

Oddometer:
    I'd love to see a video of what brought you to that conclusion. i can picture a cartoon Brenda vibrating so much there are two or three of her. Sawzalls are great until they aren't. uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-h
  17. MotoMujer

MotoMujer Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was sort of like me trying to drive my weight down on the bike's center stand while pulling on the tail of the bike to get the thing up on the stand. What happens: bike doesn't go anywhere, I shoot up in the air, and for a moment everything is suspended cartoon style while the physics evaluate the resulting balance imbalance.
    Dirtmonkey8 and pplassm like this.
  18. bigloop67

bigloop67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing more entertaining than a sawzall...with a dull blade...applied to an unsupported pc. of material.
    1. cutting
    2. kinda cutting, saw and material begin to vibrate.
    3. saw and material achieve perfect harmonic balance resulting in one giant handheld blur. ( Does it tickle?...Does it itch?)
    4. Decision time, Stop saw and return to step 1 or decide you like the way it makes you feel and you let'er go!
    RimBenty and Dirtmonkey8 like this.
  19. MAN OF BLUES

MAN OF BLUES COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer:
    OH MY... how time flies.. seems like yesterday, we were all down in Richmond, at the cycle shop, watching Gaurav's film "one crazy ride", https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Crazy_Ride
    If that trestle bridge makes you cringe.. watching him cross the bridge in his film.. will make you pass out.. :imaposer:imaposer
    I think Guy has photos, I have to dig mine out, funtime had by all for sure... fantastic vid, great fellow with good humor, and a real ADV spirit.. a LOT of us original Richmond Crew, were there.. we all have the videos, I have Both of his vids, signed, and kept for posterity.. good folks.. but man, that rail bridge is easy, compared to what he rode over... but then again, ever time I ride across the "Harry Nice Bridge" my butt clamps shut.. go figure... Crossed it at least 20 times, and 15 out of 20, it had 25+ mph winds, and rain.. uggggggg
    [​IMG]

Kinda Like crossing the Chippingham bridge, In torrential downpour, and with 45 mph cross winds... 5 minutes into a 10 hour ride south.. and barely keeping the bike, leaned over at 45*, from crossing from the left berm, to the right berm.. and concrete barrier.. ieeeeeeee.....at least you couldn't see over the edge, till you got to the 30" high side barrier.. doh...
    Ride safe you crazy kids...
  20. k5mitch

k5mitch Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did it once a week for over three years. I was less concerned about my ability to hold my lane than I was about oncoming traffic's ability to hold their lane.

There's a new bridge in the works a little bit upriver. I forget the timeline to completion.