Richmond Va chatter

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by mikeinrichmond, Dec 19, 2008.

1. kwn306

kwn306 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I now live on the Eastern Shore of VA, called Scoot Richmond today and ordered some maintenance items for my Moto Guzzi and should have them by Fri. or Mon. They are professionals.
  2. CowboyRR

CowboyRR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are interested in KTM you may want to also contact Blue Ridge Powersports in Harrisonburg and Motorsport Roanoke for comparison. Nothing against MotoRichmond - they are nice enough folks - love their enthusiasm.
  3. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW, my $.02.
    I've been to Extreme in F'burg and will likely never return. My experience was poor customer service and a foul mouth salesman/owner who was arrogant.

I purchased my KTM from Star City (Now Moto Sport Roanoke). It was smooth, professional, and easy. They also have extremely reasonable service prices, but it's quite far from Chesterfield. It's also a very large, high volume multi brand street bike/ATV/off-road/side by side retailer. I suspect they move 10 times the number of units per year that Moto Richmond sells so you do lose a little of that first name basis, personal touch a smaller place can offer.

I've purchased bikes and have had services done at Moto Richmond. Chelsea is pleasant and professional and she and her team have always made me feel welcome. They have treated me and people I know who have also purchased bikes from them very well. However, they are extremely limited on service space and getting your bike in for work can be inconvenient. My other gripe is that their service department is very pricey and at the time they only had a certified KTM tech a couple of days per week. The initial 600 mile service on a Duke requires valve checks. At Moto Richmond they surprised me by charging me $629 for that service, no that's not a typo. I expected something in the $450 range, not almost $200 more. Moto Sport Roanoke charges around $350 for the same service (47% less!) including valve check/adjustment and they will even give you 15% off your first service if you bought the bike needing service from them. My guess is that the rent for a huge steel building by the airport in Roanoke is a lot cheaper than a cool warehouse in the chic and stylish Manchester district full of single 33 year old professionals. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another bike from Moto Richmond if I stumbled upon a good deal. Especially since I do most of my own servicing now.

Lastly, if you simply want a new KTM for as cheap as possible go to Ridersville Cycle in (edit) Berkley Springs, WV. From what I have heard the owner "Harold" is a good guy but he has pissed off every KTM dealer within 300 miles by wholesaling new units out the door for less than anyone else on the east coast. They sell bikes cheap and charge ZERO for freight, prep and set up.
  4. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    agree on Ridersville, except they're in Berkeley Springs, up 522 from Winchester.

Harold wanted to take a spin on my V649 rat, and was kinda surprised when i declined, but no hard feelings. they used to have a huge bike inventory on the floor, but like many dealers now its more 4 wheel product. forget test rides, they don't even want you to sit on a bike. very competitive on prices, they pull in buyers from a wide area.
  5. kwn306

kwn306 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In defense of Moto Richmond......I have had many m/c riding buddies purchase their bikes from Star City and FMS in F'burg because of price and bring them back for a 1st service only to find "no tool marks" on the valve cover bolts when they went to do the 2nd service on there own. Just maybe Moto Richmond is doing what is specified by the manufacture and because of their location and overhead has to charge what they do. It's like when I had my 2013 BMW GS which I bought from Morton's and always got excellent service but at what I considered a huge expense. I was using the bike as a commuter vehicle and was putting 6K miles on it every 5 to 6 weeks. At $500 - $650 a service plus tires it gets pricey. That's why I bought Super Tenere with valve adjustment checks at 26K and I do my own tire changes. Are Moto Richmond's prices high? Not sure, have they always been there for me with parts for my wife's Moto Guzzi.....yes and they are very happy to ship them.
    Eddy Alvarez likes this.
  6. Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks All. I am gonna head down there tomorrow AM. I have driven all the way out to ridersville in the past and experienced bait and switch after a telephone call to ask if they had a bike I wanted in stock. I am willing to pay a little more locally if the transaction is handled professionally and the service is right.

Just have to resist going for a big bike...
    kwn306 likes this.
  7. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    What do you want ? I get the best deals in USA.Period.Tomorrw or maybe sat is the last day of this deal.
    You have my # still?
  8. MAN OF BLUES

MAN OF BLUES COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer:
  9. MotoMujer

MotoMujer Long timer

Oddometer:
    So sorry to hear.
  10. kwn306

kwn306 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. Hack

Hack .......

Oddometer:
    Wow, I was just talking about him the other day. Really sad. Met him in November 2009 here in Delaware. If I remember correctly he at the time had a brother who is a doctor somewhere in Delaware. Me in the white shirt and Gaurav in the hat and glasses. R.I.P.
    20200528_230921.png
  12. Dirtmonkey8

Dirtmonkey8 VA is for Riders

Oddometer:
    Best in the US!? What's to lose? I will take one of each.
    biker128pedal and Eddy Alvarez like this.
  13. Eddy Alvarez

Oddometer:
    If u r interested this 1 minute video shows how much MP3 wheels move when leaning...Very euro cool

DirtDoctor likes this.
  14. Dirtmonkey8

Dirtmonkey8 VA is for Riders

Oddometer:
    Do you have to have the three wheel endorsement to drive those?
  15. Eddy Alvarez

Oddometer:
    no, its a motorcycle according to DMV
  16. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does it have the same counter steering feel?
  17. Eddy Alvarez

Oddometer:
    yep..come ride it
    You would never know it had 2 wheels up front if I didn’t tell u
  18. Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well went and looked. I have to say the people there at motorichmond were super nice. I looked at the 790r and 790a, and 390a. It was really hard not to buy a 790... but I’m sleeping on it over the weekend, while camping off my WR.
    kwn306 and Dirtmonkey8 like this.
  19. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tempting but I am not going to test ride because I am at capacity with 3 bikes.
  20. Eddy Alvarez

Oddometer:
    They have 390 Adventures in at Moto Richmond? I'd like to sit on one.
    bigloop67 likes this.