Richmond Va chatter

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by mikeinrichmond, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nothing special, just the usual stuff: battery tender, tires to 40+ PSI, centerstand, if possible I use no ethanol gas In the late Fall (use Pure Gas website: https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=VA) plug the exhaust with rubber plug or shop rag, and I keep 3 or 4 sticky mouse traps on garage floor (I still do this despite not catching any mice in this house in 15 years, just lots of bugs, spiders and a few unlucky lizards) :D
  2. MotoMujer

MotoMujer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sticky paper?!:yikes

May I introduce you to Safe traps.

Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 9.14.19 PM.jpg

Last winter I relocated a mouse couple far from my property in a fab wooded setting. My problem solved; their mouse lives intact.

Those poor lizards. :/
  3. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is the way.
    MotoMujer and firedad415 like this.
  4. firedad415

firedad415 trying to speak dirt

Oddometer:
    Thanks Eddy.
    My traps grab 2-3 lizards every week!!! Blue Tailed skinks. Their poop logs get everywhere if I don't get them first.
    You have me beat... haven't caught a mouse in the garage in about 3 years.
    I have about a thousand acres of wetlands and woods behind the house. I also get a good amount groundhogs and such coming up in the yard. No issues in the garage, however.
  5. MotoMujer

MotoMujer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Staaapp with the lizard killing! :dirtdog

We had iguanas, dog, cats, etc all under one roof when I was growing up. You'd think lizards couldn't possibly have personalities, but when you have two and can see contrasts, personalities become quite apparent. ... When the lizards were small, sometimes we'd chase the predators out of the living room to give the lizards an opportunity to stretch legs; they'd end up hanging out on the wall (papered in grasscloth). Mine passed of cancer, but my parents' iguana lived a nice long life and got to be the size of the cat (the cat and dog didn't invade its privacy when it got larger). When my parents listed the house for sale, the iguana escaped its habitat one day and was stretched out on the sofa; the agent showing the house walked into the room with potential buyers and per the story the latter ran out of the house claiming something about alligators. :rofl
  6. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    Iguanas are not safe in Cuba....that's a lot of meat!
    bigloop67 and firedad415 like this.
  7. MotoMujer

MotoMujer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Slow death by sticky paper -- no bueno!
  8. firedad415

Oddometer:
    I can get behind "save the turtles" and such, but being lovey dovey with rodents and lizards ain't on my docket.
    I do help the snakes out with a free trip over the fence when I find them sunning on my driveway and patio.
    blaster11 likes this.
  9. MotoMujer

MotoMujer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Didn't suggest kissing them. Just not interrupting them going about their business. Harmless things.
    firedad415 likes this.
  10. firedad415

Oddometer:
    Sister, I save my smooches for frogs!
    :imaposer
    Guy Young and MotoMujer like this.
  11. MotoMujer

MotoMujer Long timer

Oddometer:
    HU VA end of month: postponed to April 2022.
  12. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Part of the time I lived in Lynchburg I rented a farmhouse south of town. The house, and while the 2-story living space “modernized,” it was built in the 1800’s and was actually the servant’s quarters for the folks who lived in the main (plantation) house in years past. As such, it was built on a stone foundation and there was no way to keep critters from making their way inside. This included a few snakes and a load of mice – especially in the fall when it started to get cold. Frustrated with all the germ-infested droppings all over the place, I started setting up a bevy of the conventional, spring loaded mousetraps, like 10-15 scattered around in various places in the food pantries and cabinets. The first night I put them in place, it sounded like popcorn going off. Empty and reset a particular trap, and it would get another within 10-15 minutes or so.

One night, one poor critter actually got taken out after getting hit by a model car, a 1966 Ford Mustang of my son’s I happened to be holding when watching TV. Saw him slip out of a narrow gap at the base of the stairs leading up to the 2nd. floor, and scurry along the baseboard. I flung the car at the little rodent and made a direct hit.

No hit and run report was ever filed…………..
  13. MotoMujer

MotoMujer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good aim. And fortunately tech is continually improving, providing more - better options! :deal
  14. Sic Semper Tyrannis

Sic Semper Tyrannis Plays with Banjos, Boats and Bikes...

Oddometer:

Bucket traps seem particularly effective...

15. MotoMujer

MotoMujer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Step away from the pot! :pot

:lol2
  16. MotoMujer

MotoMujer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Afghan needs update -- Fort Lee donation wonder team is now trying to help Fort Pickett meet their needs

While Fort Lee has a good number of guests here temporarily, our local spouse network, friends and families have provided an overwhelming amount of donations. We are able to hand out necessary items to all of the guests here at Fort Lee and still have enough on hand for future arrivals.

Fort Pickett (about 40 min away) has a much larger number of Afghans families and it does NOT have the same level of support within the community or the luxury of Fort Lee's new hotel to house families safely in one room. They are sharing large open WWII era buildings that will be getting quite chilly with Fall arriving next week. Please consider sending items to them!

NEW items only at this time!

Their critical needs are:
    -formula
    -baby bottles
    -diapers (especially pull-ups)
    -blankets (not baby blankets, for use on beds)
    -powdered laundry detergent

Their USPS shipping address is:
    General Delivery, US Post Office
    Team Rubicon
    400 South Main Street
    Blackstone, VA 23824

For those who are collecting donations that need to be delivered in person, they will need a drivers license to show the guard at the gate to get on base. They would enter through the main gate. After clearing the at the gate, they would go two blocks and make a left on 7th street. Continue on 7th street until it dead-ends into Warehouse (road). Make a right on Warehouse, and look for a strip of elevated warehouses/loading docks on the left. Our receiving Warehouse is 104. We accept deliveries from 0900 to 1600 daily.

Amazon Wishlist:
    https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/IRAWRRQE3EEW...

Please share with your networks!
    BlakKrauStudios and bigloop67 like this.
  17. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    Saved a reptile from the cats inside. Do I get points?
    ED9C52D4-B01D-43DF-9BF7-3A647EFED0AD.jpeg
  18. MotoMujer

MotoMujer Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure the cats will deduct points on your next staff review for taking away their toy. But they are cats, it isn't like they will fire you from being their staff.
    MotoMujer and biker128pedal like this.
  20. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a gazillion of those critters around the house and garage. Pretty when the sun hits their skin just right.

View attachment 3200156

MotoMujer and biker128pedal like this.