Richmond Va chatter

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by mikeinrichmond, Dec 19, 2008.

1. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i saw way more 29er tracks than bike tracks on the West Virginia gravel this past week. i passed one couple who were walking their 29ers up the mountain, the woman looked really pissed...i waved, they didn't.

came across 3 abandoned dogs, 2 at one location in the morning, then another late in the afternoon on the same day at a different location. in both instances, there wasn't a house within 10 miles, any direction. whoever it was dumped their pets, i doubt they could last a day. one had a collar, no tags, while the other two had no collars.
  2. MotoMujer

MotoMujer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who here details bikes? I'd like mine to sparkle for the first time since 2015. Not planning on selling it or anything crazy like that. Just some nice TLC because whenever I attempt to clean it, it comes out looking like I don't know what I'm doing. Cleaning up the following, for instance. The first thing to come to mind is to kick the bike over to gain access, at which my brain promptly goes into "lalalala" mode.

Thanks!

tempImageWKHzTp.png

Attached Files:

3. MotoMujer

MotoMujer Long timer

Oddometer:
    :bluduh An idea for any of us that might stumble into this in the future: call the county's animal control or beam up a message to the local ADV page when a chance presents itself, toward someone running out to collect the poor things and either giving them a home or getting them into a shelter.
    jgiacobbe likes this.
  4. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    no cell service out there. the first two dogs were way up the mountain, and it would have taken a serious 4x4 to get there, i didn't see any vehicles. realistically, i don't see animal control trying to get in there.

the 3rd dog was on a gravel road that had some hunter and camper traffic, so someone had a chance to pick up that dog. it was a young dog, very skittish.
    MotoMujer likes this.
  5. goosecreek

goosecreek Ashes ashes all fall down Supporter

Oddometer:

I like cheese!!! Awhoooah Awhoooah Awhoooah
  6. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't underestimate what a rag and wd40 can do for that exhaust pipe. Back when I had the WR250R, I would of sworn the exhaust was completely covered in rust. It was mostly dirt. scrubbing with a shop towel and liberal amounts of WD40 loosened it all up and had things looking shiny. There are other products made specifically for cleaning the plastics but I don't know names. I do know, be careful with simple green. If you don't get it off good enough it will eat paint and aluminum. It did a number on the valve cover on my VX-300. I ended up having to sand and paint the cover. There is a motorsport specific variety of simple green now but I have not tested it.

Also bits that come off fairly easily, will come a lot cleaner if you clean them while it is off the bike. I have hear of people putting plastics through the dishwasher. Turn off the drying cycle.
  7. Sic Semper Tyrannis

Sic Semper Tyrannis Plays with Banjos, Boats and Bikes...

Oddometer:
    Heat gun will bring the shine back to plastics....
  8. MotoMujer

MotoMujer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even if that weren’t ruinous in my hands, it would require a) patience, and b) clean plastics.
  9. MotoMujer

MotoMujer Long timer

Oddometer:
    re helping Fort Lee / Fort Pickett support their Afghan guests' needs -- I recently introduced the inter-agency NGO POC at Pickett to a corporate that can help with in-kind infrastructural support. The NGO also offers a mechanism to accept tax-deductible financial donations that can be deployed as needs of the week dictate (from clothing to backpacks to coloring books and beyond). A link that individuals can use is coming soon. In the meanwhile, I'm looking to hook the POC up with VA corporates that might be interested in providing financial if not in-kind scaled support that is in line with their CSR goals. If anyone here has an executive contact with Dominion, Altria, CarMax, Tredegar, or any other HQ that might be interested, please reach out and I'll provide my email toward making introductions (in person can be arranged). TIA!
  10. ddlewis

ddlewis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats a cool trick.. I expect it will only work on colored plastics like dirt bike fenders etc and not on painted plastic bodywork? Have you ever tried it. I wonder if it makes the plastic brittle.
  11. Sic Semper Tyrannis

Sic Semper Tyrannis Plays with Banjos, Boats and Bikes...

Oddometer:
    Only on bare plastic. I've only done on small parts. I don't think it is any more brittle than the old plastic.
  12. hooligan998

hooligan998 Save a life, grope your wife.

Oddometer:
    Anyone going to the races this weekend? I'm going Saturday. I plan on being there about 3ish. If you're close, let's ride up together.

https___cdn.evbuc.com_images_141207555_517549725427_1_original.jpeg
  13. pplassm

pplassm Brace for collision! 40488

Oddometer:
    Yep. Anyone with a Yamaha or KTM dirt bike knows about that!
    wera917 likes this.
  14. hooligan998

Oddometer:
    What is the road going up to Reddish Knob like? I have a buddy with a sport bike that wants to go up with me next weekend.
    longslowdistance likes this.
  15. RimBenty

RimBenty Greg - Bender of Rims

Oddometer:
    It’s a narrow twisty single lane paved road. Not a problem for a sport bike.
    Don’t go racing around any blind corners as a car might be there.
  16. hooligan998

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  17. nuggets

nuggets It's all my fault...

Oddometer:
    Watch for potholes
    pplassm and hooligan998 like this.
  18. MotoMujer

MotoMujer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tech question: front sprocket vs. front sprocket "with dampener".
    Went online to order a new chain/sprocket combo and found a drop-down between the choices above. The whole sprocket dampener fancyness is new to me. What is it and what is it good for? :ear
  19. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    given the same choice, i use the damped sprocket. damped is OEM on my bike, but the other is readily available.
    MotoMujer likes this.
  20. hooligan998

Oddometer:
    A rubber damped sprocket helps reduce driveline lash during hard acceleration/deceleration. They also tend to be a bit quieter during operation.
    MotoMujer likes this.