Rick G's Big NYC ADV!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Rick G, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    With all the traveling I do for work, I have little time for rides, so I try to get chunks at a time with multi day trips when ever I can take a few days off from work. Sometimes I get to combine family obligations with a bike ride to get there. One of my favorite cousin's oldest son was getting married in Brooklyn. I had a few comp days combined with vacation days to stretch out a trip to 6 days. Now no one plans on riding to the Big Apple (Why do they call it that anyway?) for fun, but I had all of Pennsylvania's finest roads to play on to get there!

So began Rick G's Big NYC ADV!

My plan was to take mostly 2 lane roads from my home in Euclid OH along Lake Erie into PA evemtually ending up on Route 6 for a stretch. The roads were ones I am quite familiar with and chosen to avoid congestion and to make some distance quickly. I wanted to get as close as possible to the Poconos where I had planned an extra day to ride around. US Route 6 is a good choice as it is scenic, with sufficent passing zones. I follwed it past Kinzua Dam to Coudersport where I dropped down on PA 44 a delightful road. I was hoping to stay in Bloomsburg and that is where I stopped to make a reservation with my Hotel Points from work. This usually works, but I did not take into account Bloomsburg College starting their Fall semester and the HI was booked! No worries it is still before 6 so I grabbed a room in Wilkes Barre 40 miles in the direction I am headed anyway.

(Trust me Pictures are coming!)

I arrive at the Holiday Inn, only to discover I had left my phone on the bench where I had stopped to make my reservation (personal hotspot). What a Maroon am I!!! Luckily I still had my work phone with me, so I start calling my phone. Once, no answer. Twice a few minutes later....no answer. Three Times the Lady and someone answers. The clerk at the gas station. No worries, I will travel back the 40 miles in the morning to get it. Riding is riding, right?

A very releived Rick G taking a selfie on the bench where I left the phone a day earlier.

[​IMG]

Due to the backtracking, not much time to stop for pictures but I did stop for some Bar B Q and this nice shot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had a few drizzles and rain along the way to my nights destination The Holdiay Inn Budd Lake at the south end of the Delaware Water Gap. I check in and notice on the form the address stating Budd Lake New Jersey! New Jersey? I am in the Pennsylvania Poconos, or so I thought as I discovered when I asked the hotel clerk, Am I in New Jersey? To which she replied Yes. I laughed and said I didn't realize NJ went all the way up to the Poconos. I only thought of New Jersey as being by NYC, Atalntic City and other beach towns. Learn something new everyday!

However, later that night the sky began to clear and for my ride into the Big City.
    [​IMG]

I had no special time to be in Brooklyn so I had a good part of the day to ride and ride I did, up the Delaware Water Gap where I met this nice couple checking out these cool old barns. This was his 2nd day on his new Triple Black GS ADV.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was that guys first BMW and we was asking me some questions about BMW's and my bike as he wasn't familiar with it. I ended up telling him the story of how I bought it from a dealer in VA and hired some guy from New Jersey to bring it to me, and that guy also had a snowmobile museum. http://snowmobilebarn.com/the-museum/ I realized I had the technology to find out where it was, and low and behold, it was only 6 miles away in Newton NJ! I had almost ridden right past it the day before. I had to go see it.

Here is a pic of Denny delivering my bike back on a snow New Years Day 2014.
    [​IMG]

I get to the barn, but low and behold it is closed. Bummer.

[​IMG]

Just as I was getting ready to leave, a guy on a rider mower rides towards me. I give a freindly Hello and give a thumbs up or down for the museum? He smiles and gives a thumbs up! Cool. Well this guy is Denny. Would love to say he remembered me, but nah, he has delivered thousands of bikes, cars and what nots over the years. But he is just as friendly as I remembered and invites me in. This is what I was greeted with:

Snowmobiles! Duh!!
    [​IMG]

More Snowmobiles!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course even more Snowmobiles. 2 barns full of them...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Snomobile toys and memorabilia

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even a Snowmobile Barbie!

[​IMG]

But lets not stop there, as he also has some other things of interest!

Things like Motorcycles!

[​IMG]

I don't think The Barber has one of these!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

His interest rand the gamut. He collected what he liked. His collection became more eclectic the more you looked. A Real Guy's Museum!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saddly, at least for us, the museum is basically closed. He has started selling off his collection. Told me he bought a piece of property in Costa Rica and wants to build a house and retire there.

This batch of bikes has already been sold.

[​IMG]

Denny in background.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then I spotted these!

[​IMG]

Every trip deserves a mememto, so i asked him how muc? $50 a piece and he is shipping to me. The Motorcycle has original box. The scooter has a box from same era but not matching. I didn't care. He treated me so well when he delivered my bike I wanted to help him with his house in Costa Rica.

Well, it is on to the Big Apple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was hoping a mid Saturday afternoon wouldn't be bad, and was correct, right up to the Holland Tunnel! Getting through wasn't bad, but once you emerged in Manhatten it was a different story all together. Lets just say riding a bike into Manhatten, especially when you don't know the inside moves, SUCKS BIG TIME!!!

Perservere I did, and arrived safely at the Even Hotel in Brooklyn. I had called ahead to make sure I could get parking for my bike, and I was able to safely out of harms way up an elevator ride in a 24 hour garage a couple of blocks away. I then discovered brain fart #2. I left a favorite shirt at the hotel the night before. I call hotel and they do find it. I tell them I will pick it up on my way back as I am going that way anyhow. Still a Maroon after all these years!! LOL

With that taken care of it was time to check out Brooklyn a bit and walked down to Brooklyn Bridge Park to meet up with some cousins in town for the wedding.

The view out of my 14th floor room.

[​IMG]

I stopped for an excellent Sushi dinner at some very reasonable unlike NY prices. What a pleasent surprise. Later in evening down at the park.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Woke up with a sinus headache the next morning and chilled in the room watching Axis concerts till the wedding.

Selfie in room before heading out. Not bad for an old Biker Dude!

[​IMG]

The Wedding was at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens and was beautiful!

The happy couple just after the ceremony where cameras were banned. Also the grooms father (my cousin) and his lovely wife. Truly a slpendid affair!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next morning I walked to the family brunch, and was able to suit up around 11 am to get out of dodge. Fortunately traffic was not as bad as expected. I was at the hotel getting my shirt around 12:30 and had some more twisty 2 lane fun, finally stopping for lunch to get a rootin tootin hotdog!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the White Birch Beer was the best part!!

Booked a room for the night at the Hampton (also on points) in Shamoakin Dam while waiting out a sudden storm after stopping for gas.

I grazed at a Chinese Buffet within walking distance of hotel, and was ready for the final ride in the AM. Weather was calling for storms later in afternoon and I was hoping to get home before the worst hits.

The mornign started out great! The air was cool and damp, but the sun was bright. Garmin but routed me on some roads i had never traveled, and they were wonderful. Great pavement, light traffic and nice curves. I was making great time, until I got close to the PA/OH border where I had the first of 3 rain storms I had to ride through. The worst one was fortunately when I was at a Sheetz getting a quick lunch, but still rode out while it was coming down. But that is what good gear is made for and I stayed relatively dry.

Parked safely in my garage, after 6 days and about 1500 miles.

[​IMG]

The End!
    Tallbastid, KneeDrachen and daslipper like this.