Rick Mayer advice needed

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Stromtrooper246, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Stromtrooper246

Stromtrooper246 Lost again

Oddometer:
    Have any of you had any bad experiences With Rick Mayer Cycles and if so, how were they resolved?

Steve:ear
  2. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer:
    Not exactly bad. Well, let's just say I've had better experiences and I've had worse. He offered to fix a couple of minor complaints I had about the seat he made for me if I rode up there; I just never did cuz I hate going up there. My fault, I guess. The thing that bugged me was he used to offer a slip-on rain cover for a few bucks extra. Well, I paid for it and he never sent it, even when I called and reminded him of it. It was just a few dollars, so I didn't bother him again, it wasn't worth the grief, so I figured I'd just take it out of his hide by telling this story every time someone asks for a recommendation. :evil
  3. The Onion

The Onion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No personal experience, but read here, then go here and buy yer seat.

No affiliation. Just a satisfied customer.
  4. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    I have had good luck with Rick. He didmy seat last year, and it was OK. I ran into him at the Red River, NM rally last summer, and visited with him about it. He had a new foam that he was now using, and offered to put it into my seat during a slow time for me. I took him up on it, this last winter. I also marked out some "hot spots" in the seat. He re-did the entire seat, (including the passenger) in a timely fashion, and it is now sweet!:super NO CHARGE!!! I have read a few posts that were very negative on his service, but I can't believe that it is the same guy.:dunno
    Just my ten cents, my two cents is free.
    Gordy
  5. jonasf

jonasf Ich mag Sauerkraut

Oddometer:
    well
    after talking to Rick i mailed him my CC# and the order form with all the specs.He told me i would have the seats by the end of August/mid September.This was last year in July,He charged my
    card about a week after that.I was waiting,waiting,waiting....
    He did not respond to my e-mails or phone calls.I got the seats at the end of November.Nice work,looks very nice.My wife loves her seat,my seat does not fit me,again no responding to phone calls or e-mails so i mailed him my seat, thinking now he has to get a hold of me.Wrong
    After about 3 weeks of calling,i got a hold of him and not of the stupid answermachine.
    Seat came back a week after that,again,did not fit.
    I had to do the same thing for the second time.
    I got my seat back about 3 weeks ago,it fits now perfect,
    I am not questioning Rick's work at all,it is just a pain in the ass to get a hold of him,the seats are great
    it took 9 months to work it out
    Jonas
  6. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    It seems logical that a ride-in will produce a better seat. Unfortunately, that's practically impossible for anyone on the east coast.
  7. caveman_period

caveman_period Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Steve,

Just hit "SEARCH" on this website, then type "Rick Mayer" and you will find tons of feedback about Rick Mayer's work. It will blow your mind!
    I had my seat done by Rick and then redone by his brother, Rocky.

I will tell you that Rocky handles his clients with high class. From the very first moment I had the impression that he is genuinely interested in helping me. All what he promised, it has been delivered. Rocky was ALWAYS available via his cell phone. I have never cought him hiding behind an answering machine. The seat had arrived on time and very well packaged. It looks great! I really like the high quality, non slip, vinyl that was supplied by Rocky.

The comfort: I have not been riding much yet but I have noticed already that I am not "butt conscious" anymore when riding on it. I can concentrate on the enjoyment of riding and no more troubles down there. I like it. I am very satisfied with this product and the Rocky Mayer's service.
    HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Ted, Alberta, Canada
  8. Tweaker

Tweaker ...

Oddometer:
    He pulled a bait and switch on me when i rode 400 miles on the hottest day of the year to his place. Then part of it was crooked and then it fell apart in Nevada last year. Russel rocks.
  9. Spanish Bob

Spanish Bob I dont know where I am.

Oddometer:
    I live in Barcelona Spain. Buy a BILL Mayer saddle. hes a little more serious. beautiful treatment. delivery the Day that they said and easy to deal with. the saddle is a work of art I could ride 24 hrs a day if I wanted to.

my 2 cents worth.

bob
  10. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    I had mine done by this guy in Oregon. Awesome work and at a really good price. Excellent servince and a BMW rider himself...

http://www.mredsmoto.com/
  11. Ken Fritz

Ken Fritz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got a saddle built by Rocky. :D I rode in with an appointment and he did both seats just about perfectly. I am short in the inseam and he worked with me to shape it so I don't slide forward, but it is narrower up front so I can touch the ground better. Result: Absolutely first class leather and no more tired butt. My wife even likes to ride more now with less griping about hot seat problems. :thumb The new pillion shape is better to keep her from sliding forward so easily, too. And both are so good looking it's like leather artwork. :1drink BTW, my rider buddy in the hills nearby finally gave up trying to deal with rICKY and that ill fitting seat. He, too, had fallen for the gimmick warranty :puke1
  12. Hiatt

Hiatt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One word...Russell

JH
  13. Ken Fritz

Oddometer:
    UGLY, but comfort comfortable = Russell

Good lookin' and comfortable = RMS

:freaky
  14. Rocky Mayer

Rocky Mayer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good lookin' and comfortable = RMS

Hey Ken,

I believe you ment to say, BMS:)))

Rock
  15. Ken Fritz

Oddometer:
    OOPS! BMS, not RMS. :thumb
    Ken
  16. Dick

Dick Its a big old goofy world

Oddometer:
    Hmmm :scratch I have been looking for an excuse to ride 33 again :D
  17. ikonoklass

ikonoklass Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer:
    Twelve hours in the saddle last Sunday, and my ass never felt better. Back was a little sore, but can't fault the seat for that.
  18. MCP

MCP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I learned my lesson the hard way, nice saddle, but almost cost me a vacation:cry
  19. firefighter217

firefighter217 Beerventurer

Oddometer:
    Sparkling Couch By the Sea, Corpus Christi, TX
    Very happy with mine on my roadster... 13 hrs day and felt great....
    they take a while so don't expect a quick turn around.
  20. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like nothing has changed much!

Two seats from him, both came, eventually, 2-3 months late. Both were OK for comfort, but the materials were substandard, leather lasted less than a year and 15K miles before looking like ass on both seats. One seat was supposed to have purple trim, my ex GF's, and came with burgandy trim, he refused to fix it.

Bad attitude when asked when the seats would come. Told he would lower the price for our trouble, and didn't. Told he would add leather conditioner and T-shirts, and didn't.

Quality, OK, customer service crap!

Jim :brow