Rickman and all things Metisse.

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Wildebeest90210, Nov 5, 2015.

1. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice bike on CL today:

https://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/d/sparks-rickman-triumph-750-mx/7176477847.html

Rickman-Triumph 750 MX - $10,995 (Sparks)
    image 1 of 9

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
    (google map)

1974 Rickman-Triumph motocrosser

VIN: 4209J
    condition: excellent
    engine displacement (CC): 750
    fuel: gas
    paint color: white
    transmission: manual
    type: dirtbike

Rickman Motocross frame set with 750 5-speed right-side shift T-140 (Bonneville) engine with TR7 single carb head. Sleeved Amal carb. Works Performance rear shocks with Rickman magnesium rear hub. Honda XL 350 front wheel/hub (bigger brake) and fork tubes in Betor clamps. Original Betor forks and Rickman wheel/hub included, along with 2 extra (larger) tanks, original low front fender and tail piece.

Steve McQueen loved his Rickman…
    Scoozi, PMK, msahern5 and 4 others like this.
  2. Thumpermeister

Thumpermeister roost maker

Oddometer:
  3. jay pc

jay pc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. roadholder

roadholder Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Scoozi, weldingrod, motu and 3 others like this.
  5. PMK

PMK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Curious, any chance you have a photo to post of how it is now with white modern fenders on it.
  6. Thumpermeister

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    numbat, Scoozi, JagLite and 4 others like this.
  7. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    After trying the white fenders, I have gone with the blue. I just finished painting the side covers. They were white fiberglass, a replica set I bought a few years ago and had forgotten about. They aren't an exact fit for this frame, but will work. I will post a pic in the next couple of days.
    What mods did you do to your MAR? I had a '72 MAR for many years.
  8. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    This is the current iteration as of today. I just rebuilt the Curnutt shocks but haven't tested them yet. That's what I ran in the early '70's and wanted to put it back to that state. I gave the bike away in 1975 and got it back in 1992 much worse for the wear and minus the shocks and E.C. Birt downpipe.

RZ w: Side.jpg

From some other resto
    RZ r fen.jpg

!973 Borderland MX Park, El Paso TX, Pentons. Monarchs and Huskies were my main competiton before the 125 Elsinore debut.

Borderland 1972sm.jpg

1973 Billy The Kid 100 Enduro Checkpoint 2 Las Cruces, NM

BtK 100 1973 Sm.jpg
    JagLite, Honda-50, flei and 3 others like this.
  9. Wildebeest90210

Wildebeest90210 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wondered what fenders those were!

Charlie Curnutt Jr. is a friend of mine, his dad passed away not that long ago.

I worked for EC Birt back in the day, mostly porting, but sometimes building pipes or even working the parts counter..

IMG_1224.JPG
    JagLite, flei and chilejack like this.
  11. PMK

PMK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not wanting to detract from the Rickman aspect. My 1973 OSSA MAR. Got from original owner that bought it late 1972. Since I actually ride this MAR, it needed a few changes since killing original parts did not seem cool to me. So it got a resto mod set of changes. Mostly original with changes to improve reliability and longevity.

Plastic fenders, plastic tank, Smart Carb, modified airbox spigot to match a Smart Carb or Keihin or OKO, bar risers, cut the head for correct squish, modern trials tires, tubliss rear with wide rim, Talon rear sprocket and adapter, Domino throttle, Venhill cables with modern levers. BTW, keeping it more period correct, it has Curnutts on the back. Took me many opening and closing of those shocks to dial in the damping for trials riding. Waiting to get installed high grip brake shoes, Barnett Clutch and Alex Snoop clutch springs. Will get done after the Rickman is finished, at least that is the current plan. And yes, it has a street tag with working lights and this is how I ride it in trials events. 7D13FECB-EDB5-4C38-B105-7DB41F22CEE9.jpeg
  12. PMK

PMK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Super slowly making some progress. To many distractions... A couple of photos to show it still exists. Did recently buy a period correct addition for this Rickman, kind of a cool touch to keep it old. Most of the difficult stuff is figured out. Most all the parts are on hand at this point. Just need to do a bit of fibreglass work, which is simply time and easy, make a wire harness, make the cables, machine time on the lathe and mill to make a few axle spacers, a front axle, and the front brake anchor. Then some time spent blasting a few parts as needed and painting the blue fibreglass parts. Yes, the exhaust needs to be prepped and painted too. Been many, many hours of effort to get this far, no planns to quit until done, regardless of how slow progress crawls. 20200829_131226.jpg 20200829_131242.jpg 20200829_131259.jpg 20200829_131433.jpg 20200829_131453.jpg 20200829_131513.jpg 20200830_130353.jpg
    Scoozi, JagLite, chilejack and 2 others like this.
  13. PMK

PMK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some may recall, and I do appreciate the advice, tips, help and encouragement from this group and others that have contacted me regarding this Rickman Yamaha.

A refresher of what arrived a few years ago and almost was considered as too much effort and expense to save. The bike was last raced in 1974 on a 4 lap / 100 miles mudfest enduro. Then without draining fuel, without draining oil and worse, without draining the gearbox oil, it was parked and sat untouched for about 45 years. The frames 50th birthday is June 2021.

So glad I listened, learned from others and have a patient wife.

What was and what it is currently. Keep telling myself stay motivated.
    IMG_4442.JPG IMG_4474.JPG IMG_4537.JPG IMG_7090.JPG P1070584.JPG P1070589.JPG
    wfrpalm, Scoozi, villageidiot and 5 others like this.
  14. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bet it took a while to get the "Cur-clunks" dialed in for trials! Charlie's shock design was for taking high speed big hits of desert racing and we called them "Cur-clunks" because of the lack of slow speed damping. Many Motocross guys didn't like the way they worked on the track either.

Here is a pic of Shamrock MC's Charlie Curnutt Sr. with his shocks on his classic desert sled.

Charlie Curnutt Sr..jpg
    msahern5, JagLite and chilejack like this.
  15. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    numbat, weldingrod and chilejack like this.
  16. Stubby-Levi

Stubby-Levi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The revised date of 27 Sept for Rickman Day at Sammy Miller's has now also been cancelled. Great pitty.
  17. Thumpermeister

Oddometer:
    It sadly seems like the last remaining holdout bike events of the year are also going down the drain with the renewed COVID onslaught.:(
  18. msahern5

msahern5 Jumping at Shadows

Oddometer:
    I would be lying if I said the cancellation of Barber Vintagefest didn’t sadden me.
  19. Thumpermeister

Oddometer:
    Beauty! :thumb
  20. Wildebeest90210

Wildebeest90210 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-9-26_20-31-46.png
    numbat, chilejack and JagLite like this.