Rickman and all things Metisse.

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Wildebeest90210, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Wildebeest90210

Wildebeest90210 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. weldingrod

weldingrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    well, I'm not a big Harley fan....but that is a stunner.
    JagLite likes this.
  3. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    The first big bike I ever drove was a sportster, this was in '64 when I was 16. The owner, my friend Mike, was on the back and it was night. When I whacked it open, my eyes teared up from the speed and acceleration! For years , I had a copy of Cycle World from 1962 with a black Sportster on the cover. It did the 1/4 in 13 something at (iircc);92mph, whew! Sportsters, Bonnevilles, and RE interceptors were jockeying for fastest bike accolades. I still have a soft spot for those early Sportsters, modern ones, not much. But this one is a beauty.
    weldingrod and JagLite like this.
  4. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    I might go for a more trad front end with a puny brake, but I think it encompasses everything I want in a bike.
  5. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
  6. zzzak

zzzak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This one is currently on Ebay

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Walk around video:

8. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. JagLite

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

For sale $2,200 not running HERE
    numbat and chilejack like this.
  10. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    interesting, Montesa VR waffle head and cylinder, not sure what bottom end is from. It's Montesa of some sort. Pre '74 would have been right side shift, conversion?
  11. traderyoda

traderyoda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's a tough one for Rickman lovers - anyone know about this machine? This is Lynn Wineland's Rickman MZ. It's in very good shape. I'm just working through some rough spots on the frame. It traded hands twice after Lynn's death until I purchased it. The motor was hand-carried out of E. Germany to Rickman. They used a modified MkIV frame, put the ISDT motor in it, and shipped in off to Lynn in 1971 for testing in the desert. The ISDT exhaust wasn't from the UK; Lynn modified the frame to install the MZ exhaust - that's the only mod he did from what I can see. The engine is in great shape and just needs new bottom seals and a dynamo rebuild.

It's my understanding that Lynn loved this bike and rode it often. That's borne out by the amount of desert dust I found in the airbox. The rear wheel is a British Hub Company unit with a Goodyear knobby that appropriately worn - sort of an odd combo for a factory Rickman. The front wheel is a Rickman aluminum hub with 21" Dunlop rim and a brand new period Dunlop tire. The front wheel is the one part of the bike that's odd to me being it sports a new tire. Not sure about the rear wheel.

This machine was auctioned off and then quickly wound up on eBay, probably late 2009 or 2010. I'm hoping to find a friend of Lynn's who might have a picture of this machine while in Lynn's hands or someone who kept those eBay pictures of it so I have a reference. I want to ensure it's kept in the form it was while Lynn's enjoyed riding it.

IMG_2427.JPG IMG_2566.JPG
  12. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:

It might be worth getting in touch with Sammy Miller? Even if he's not familiar with the bike I think he would be able to get in touch with Derek or Don..?

https://sammymiller.co.uk/
  13. traderyoda

traderyoda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not a bad idea - I'll give it a go. I did reach out to both Don and Derek directly about this and another project and never got a response. I also asked Adrian to give it a go and that didn't work either. Then I spoke with David Gittins and per his request sent a detailed letter with photos - no response. I couldn't find much UK interest in the 2-stroke machines so I turned to the desert racers and got a lot more information that way. It helped me nail down one project but not the MZ. I've only found one real description of the bike from Lynn Bennett who I spoke with and was a friend of Lynn Wineland, but I couldn't get any details on the machine itself. Lynn never let this machine go and from what I can tell he rode it quite a bit. Lynn was always a great help to me on Rickman projects and I'd like this to be as he owned if at all possible.
    JagLite and chilejack like this.
  14. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    I have it on good authority that Adrian is a grumpy old f#cker, only spoke to him once. Gittins I don't know, Derek and Don are absolute gents but not tech savvy and really knocking on a bit. You could try Rickman facebook pages as well but I reckon Sammy is your best bet., he is a legend.
  15. traderyoda

traderyoda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really? Adrian, and his right arm Sue, have been amazing anytime I've went to them for help - they went way beyond in sorting me out on what I needed and shipping me stuff, including making some custom parts for odd project needs. I've dealt with them for years without a single mistake. And I really enjoyed talking to Adrian. He's always busy and often doesn't have much chance to chat. My latest two Rickman projects are 2-strokes which is not something they ever dealt with much given most of the 2-stroke machines were exported. Still, Sue managed to find some NOS parts in an old bin after spending a lot of time digging - no one remembered what they were for, but it turned out that they were built for my machine. Gittins is a pleasure to talk to and very helpful, but again not a lot of knowledge about the 2-stroke stuff. I never pestered Don or Derek - I tried once and let it go. I figure they've done a great service and have certainly earned their peace and quiet. I spent a lot of time tracking down forks that worked in the factory in the late 60s and early 70s. I learned a lot about how things were actually made, how serial numbers and records were kept, fiberglass colors mixed, etc.; but I could never locate anyone that remembered the fabrication of the two machines I was researching, a Rickman MkIV Yamaha Metisse and the sole MZ in the picture. I still hopeful to meet more friends of Lynn Wineland because the knowledge on these machines more likely resides in California.
    JagLite likes this.
  16. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    I take it back then, 2nd hand info on Adrian. I live near Gerry (Metisse) if he is any use I can visit.
    I'll give you this though
    They just signed my side panels at last years Rickman day at Sammys place last year Rickman day, Don had just torn me off a strip about the air filter on this bike, not like they built them !

IMG_0515.JPG

And this is just a great pic.

27892062_149045345775965_4062590177804025856_n.jpg
  17. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    Love the footy jersey's, haven't seen one for years. They wear tight fitting stuff these days so no one can grab a handful and drag you down in a tackle. We used to wear practice jerseys, made up of random coloured stripes.

This is the only photo of me I have wearing a practice jersey.

scan0008.jpg
    JagLite likes this.
  18. traderyoda

traderyoda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those are both iconic pictures. That's one of the finest Rickmans I've even seen - can't see the air filter to know what drew the wagging finger. One of my machines has a triangular air filter and triangular filter cover; it took forever to find both of those. Adrian (more precisely, Sue) found both the airbox and the filter cover plate (Adrian's fiberglass chap found the mold) and I managed to locate the filter here in the States. I definitely want to avoid that wagging finger. I did speak with Gerry who sent me the frame serial numbers since I'd lost my copy of Gittin's book - he was very happy but not up on the 2-strokes.

I grew up a street urchin in New York City and saw my first Rickman as a young teenager at a place called John's Cycle, which favored British bikes. They purchased three MkIII A65s from Steens in Red, White, and Blue. Since NYC is bereft of deserts these were built up as street machines. The reason they chose A65s is because of a relationship with a nearby racer and engine expert named Manfred Hecht. Manfred was a Moto Guzzi aficionado who built dozens of road racers and did factory engine work; but he also built engine spares for Dick Mann. All three of these bikes had leftover Dick Mann A65 bottom ends which were meticulously built by Manfred. When I grew up I started hunting around for one of these bikes. I lucked out when I found and purchased the blue one from a Ferrari collector - it had never been ridden. I've restored other Rickman types and typically sold them as I'm not a collector. I'll never part with the A65 though. It runs beautifully, is insanely quick, and leaks oil like all Brit machines should.
    msahern5, Wildebeest90210 and JagLite like this.
  19. JagLite

Oddometer:
    Last Sunday...

Before:
    upload_2020-10-18_9-12-6.png

After:

upload_2020-10-18_9-13-27.png

This morning:

upload_2020-10-18_9-14-6.png

Winter has arrived. :2cry

Time to change oil in the bikes and do a few maintenance jobs then park them as tight as possible and reorganize the shop for winter project work.

... The 1940 Matchless rebuild. :D
  20. Garry Mayfield

Garry Mayfield AHRMA 20z

Oddometer:
    Lynn Wineland was an interesting and amazing man. It was always a treat to visit him and browse his "scrapbooks", warehouse of Rickman spares and motorcycles. Ebay seller, cyclesavant bought the Rickman inventory from Lynn's estate. Anybody that does not know Lynn should google him and be surprised at what you see. When Derek Rickman came to the U.S. and raced the desert in 1970 he left his green Motocross des Nations jersey he wore in the magazine photographs and desert events. WIN_20200117_16_18_40_Pro.jpg Derek Rickman desert race 1970.jpg
    SlowernOlder and JagLite like this.