Rickman and all things Metisse.

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Wildebeest90210, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Wildebeest90210

Wildebeest90210 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love to see a picture of the A65, I think it's one of the best looking engines to grace a Rickman.
  2. Garry Mayfield

Garry Mayfield AHRMA 20z

Oddometer:
    Yep, those flowing aero lines of a MK III work well with the aero BSA twin. The best I have ever seen and an unusual, but perfect color can be found by Google search "1969 BSA Rickman Metisse britcycle.com", this gets the entire photo pack.
  3. traderyoda

traderyoda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    He sure was. Lynn was especially kind and went out of his way to help. Good technically too given he was a former USAF aircraft mechanic. Lynn was one the leaders in getting Ceriani forks introduced into the U.S. on top of many other things.

Was that picture inside one of Lynn's sheds? Any chance you spotted that MZ that I posted pictures of a few messages back? I missed the estate auction, but I was told that several lots were sold off. Cyclesavant seems to have gotten a lot of Micro Metisse stuff; he's a great guy to deal with. Whenever I call Lynn looking for parts he would call back in 15 minutes with the good in hand. Twice I missed Lynn on trips to California because he was out of town. The proverbial "good man".
  4. traderyoda

traderyoda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's my A75 MkIII from Johns Cycle in NYC. I did find the Red and the White bikes as well - all three still in fine shape. The red one was converted from street to a desert sled recently. I've found 8 survivors in the U.S. so far, probably another couple in the UK.

IMG_5069.JPG
  5. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    Beauty, the motor to me is almost art deco. I chased one round autojumbles last year with the vendor refusing to drop under £1100 for a non matching crank case halves, no numbers and didn't have the finned rocker covers...I offered £850 every time, he probably still has it.
    There is a nice A65 Metisse lurking here, went from the US to Scandinavia, I'll have a search and give him a bump.

unnamed.jpg
  6. traderyoda

traderyoda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is a real stunner. I have a NOS set of 41mm forms and the correct hubs and have toyed with the idea of converting mine from street to desert. I still enjoy riding it though so maybe down the road.
  7. Garry Mayfield

Garry Mayfield AHRMA 20z

Oddometer:
    No, not Lynn's. picture is from a private collection me and my buddy have assembled. Lot of the stuff is not Rickman, but I will drop a few more photos on here just to get the flavor without leaving the Rickman theme by too much. Yes, saw the MZ and discussed it at length. There was other unusual engine combinations in there. The MZ as I recall and I think you stated is not the normal micro Metisse deal. It is in fact a "dry" MK IV frame. Much more robust, much better. My 1965 MK III frame is still perfect, but all of my micro Metisse frames broke, Hodaka, Zundapp and Montesa. The MK IV will not break. Most of the stuff in his warehouse was micro parts, probably all left from Steen's which has thousands of micros in the southern CA area. The one item I really wanted from Lynn was the Dan Hanebrink Monotrack road racer.
    JagLite likes this.
  8. Garry Mayfield

Garry Mayfield AHRMA 20z

Oddometer:
    As always, thank you for posting Wildebeest. Makes me want to do a MK III road legal BSA instead of a Triumph. I will be on the lookout for BSA stuff.
  9. Garry Mayfield

Garry Mayfield AHRMA 20z

Oddometer:
    Some of the stuff in our playroom. The BRG Rickman you can barely see is one of the "infamous twenty" petite Bultacos. WIN_20200117_16_17_49_Pro.jpg WIN_20200117_16_19_04_Pro.jpg

Attached Files:

JagLite likes this.
  10. traderyoda

traderyoda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're the first person I've connected with that saw that bike... wouldn't happen to have snapped a pic? Dying to find a pic of it to ensure it's as Lynn owned it. As you say, this is a dry MkIV. The hole in the fiberglass seat bottom that normally would have a oil cap was instead used to mount a toggle switch. The MZ ISDT motor has two plugs and two coils and if you lost one you could switch to the other. These MZ motors are beautifully made and strong. I have the original MZ shipping certificate that got it from E. Germany to Rickman in the U.K. It's my understanding that Lynn asked a favor of Edison Dye who picked it up and carried the motor the brothers. The only mod that Lynn made was installing the ISDT pipe - he welded tabs on the frame to accomplish this and they need a bit of tending to. In my earlier post you'll note that mainly I'm concerned about the wheels. I would have expected to see Rickman magnesium hubs and a 19" rim up front. The bike also was equipped with a side stand which was removed at some point.

I have an early MkIV Yamaha as well. In that machine the oil-in-the-frame was for 2-stroke oil and fed the autolube pump. As the story goes, Lynn took this machine from Steens to test it. He must have hit a rock because the shifter shaft was badly bent preventing it from getting into fifth. Apparently he kept riding and threw a ring. The bike went back to Steens where it sat, now used and abused and not for sale. Sometime later it was modified to fit a Hungarian Pannonia motor. In testing that proved to be a bad idea. At the time, Rickman was desperate for a 2-stroke source. They went through Villiers, Bultaco, and Yamaha without coming up with a plum. The MZ would have been ideal were it not for that business in Czechoslovakia at the time. The Pannonia was too fragile and underpowered. They soon struck paydirt with Montesa and the Micro line. It's a fascinating history. The Yamaha was never sold and when Steens lost the Rickman line the remaining stock and this bike were shipped to the new Rickman USA outfit in Baltimore. It'll be operational shortly. I'm looking forward to riding it and the MZ soon.
    JagLite and Wildebeest90210 like this.
  11. traderyoda

traderyoda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last time I saw it, the white A65 was for sale in New Jersey - this one - built by Johns Cycle in NYC:

upload_2020-10-18_15-43-12.png

The red bike that Johns Cycle built in now in Massachusetts and might be for sale. There was another white one for sale in Colorado:

upload_2020-10-18_15-45-41.png
    Scoozi, Garry Mayfield and JagLite like this.
  12. traderyoda

traderyoda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some real beauties in your collection. Can't miss that Bultaco Petite Metisse - what a prize; that rarity behind it as well. The Villiers, Bultaco, and Yamaha Petite machines shared some common parts. The UK-built expansion chambers were similar, and all three had pretty much the same triangular airboxes. The Yamaha, being a MkIV, was a bit lighter and sported the Cerianis. Rickman built up the Bultacos, but the Yamahas were all shipped as kits with Steens offering them as kits or rollers, the latter being just over $1000. Going through the Petite records I count 4 Starmakers, 104 Bultacos, 39 Yamahas, and 3179 Montesas.
    JagLite likes this.
  13. traderyoda

traderyoda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's a Cycle Guide article/test of the Rickman MkIII BSA Metisse.

Attached Files:

• 5.png
      5.png
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
    • 6.png
      6.png
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    • 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      611.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    • 4.png
      4.png
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    Scoozi, JagLite and Honda-50 like this.
  14. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    That's the one that went off to Scandinavia, it's on here. I'll have a look now.
  15. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    Here it is, owner not been here for a year.
  16. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    And here.....
    Garry Mayfield and JagLite like this.
  17. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
  18. Garry Mayfield

Garry Mayfield AHRMA 20z

Oddometer:
    66x belongs to one of my AHRMA racing buddies, it's in Colorado, if he still has it. Seems I recall it was for sale.
  19. traderyoda

traderyoda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're right - there's that signature monster front brake that Johns Cycle was so fond of. A really good idea not to grab too much of it as it easily locks the front wheel. It's in a nice new home with plenty of places to enjoy riding it. Thanks for sharing that!
  20. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    It would be good to get an up-date, it's very much looked after and well used, all new ally bodywork. The @Manx71 thing doesn't work though.
    Actually think it did....Bump.....