Ricor Intiminators

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steven0100, Oct 3, 2016.

1. steven0100

steven0100 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know if anyone is interested in this so I'll keep it short.

I was reading about these on the NC700-Forum and decided to install these on my CTX700. My first thoughts were that they didn't do much, but after much reading I decided to drill out my damper rods and they made a much better improvement in the ride, especially on how they handled rough pavement. The key to get them to work on the CTX and the NC was enlarging the damper rod holes.
    MODNROD likes this.
  2. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    Just out of curiosity, what oil did you use, specifically, before the drilling?
  3. steven0100

steven0100 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The oil that was in the forks were what Honda put in when the bike was manufactured which I believe to be 10wt oil, Honda brand.

After drilling I used Spectro Golden 5w. Ricor recommends Amsoil, but after reading one members success with the Spectro I decided to go with that. The one thing I don't understand is that members glowing review of the Ricor's without modifying his damper rods while other members experienced the same thing as I did before drilling the rods out. Oh well, it's done and the Ricor's are now working as I expected/hoped.

Update: I may have misunderstood the question so let me rephrase. I installed the Ricor's using the 5 wt Spectro oil that I mentioned above, rode it for a while, and then drilled out the rods and put the Spectro oil back in. I hope that clarifies things.
  4. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    I use a 50-50 mix of ATF and Marvel Mystery oil. I did some flow tests & that mix is same as Belray 5wt.
  5. manstache

manstache Flounder of ADV

Oddometer:
  6. steven0100

steven0100 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't have any experience with fork oil beyond what I mentioned above so I have to rely on other folks to be the pioneers. It's all new to me. I've also found that taking forks apart is easier than I thought it would be.

The Ricor's are somewhat adjustable so after a time, I might want to play with that, but for now, I'm happy with the ride improvement. My understanding is that each modification changes other things so I need to wrap my mind around just what they are doing before I start messing with them, if I do.

By the way, here are some pictures (from Gonzo CTX forum) that show the stock rods and the modified rods. You can see how small the holes are in the stock ones.

Ctx Cartridge.jpg
  7. steven0100

steven0100 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone bother to read the instructions ?.

Change the fork oil to a lower weight and you don't need to drill holes in random bits of the universe.
  9. JohnCW

JohnCW Long timer

Oddometer:
    This guy also thinks they need to be drilled out .......

http://www.stromtrooper.com/suspension-tire-tech/76643-intiminator-summary-mods-make-work-great.html

All I know is I tried 5W oil in my damper rod forks prior to fitting a competitors product, and 5W oil certainly did not eliminate the compression damping holes in the stock damper rod. It reduced its effect, but when you hit a big pothole or washboard at high speed, the forks still locked up, exactly the same as they did with 15W. I reckon I could have dumped 1W fork oil in, and it still couldn't be forced fast enough through those 2 tiny compression holes in the damper rod on a big hit.
  10. steven0100

steven0100 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    PeterW - Like I said, I tried it without drilling the damper rods and I had the same results as JohnCW described. I guess some damper rod holes are a little too small. The competitor that John alluded to (I assume Gold Valves emulators) requires drilling out the rods so why would this be any different when in principle both devices are doing the very same thing.
  11. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    If you use anything other than Amsoil 5w (which is the only oil specified by Ricor), then expect issues, as mfg fork oil viscosity varies greatly within a given "weight". It matters. BTW, Belray 5w is specifically NOT recommend by Ricor as an acceptable substitute...some had to go as light as 2.5wt to get acceptable action with a substitute oil. FWIW.
  12. steven0100

steven0100 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Understood. I just got back from a 75 mile ride and I'm really happy with the way they perform. I don't get any jaring like I used to get on high sharp bumps. The front end still comes up, but not nearly as high as it did before and it feels like it's in contact with the pavement the whole time. Anyway, for lesser bumps I don't feel them much at all, if at all. Normally I don't get excited about things, but the front end has been a pain in the butt for a long time and now it's sorted out. I installed a Penske shock on the back and it's decent. Sometimes I think it's perfect and other times, not so much. Regardless, it's till far better than the oem Honda shock, so for that I am grateful.
  13. JohnCW

JohnCW Long timer

Oddometer:
    What will happen to my already woefully inadequate rebound damping if I use 2.5W fork oil instead of the factory specified 15W? Currently I need to use a 22.5W (by volume) fork oil mix to get a decent rebound with the stock damper rod rebound holes.

Also, if someone fits heavier front fork springs to suit their combined bike/rider weight to rectify the excessive fork dive (caused by the significantly underweight springs the manufacturers fit to damper rod bikes to get a somewhat ok ride), this will require an increase in rebound damping to match the heavier spring. If they must use a specific 5W oil, how do they adjust the rebound damping to match the springs and their riding preference?

Or is Ricor correct on its web page in suggesting that correct spring weights and rebound damping aren't really important in the front forks of a motorcycle, and both can be adequately compensated for by just dropping in a device that sets compression damping?
  14. steven0100

steven0100 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those are tough questions and are beyond my level of knowledge. I can tell you this... My springs were extremely too weak for me. My forks have 4.2 inches of travel and with just me on the bike, it only had one inch of travel left with the oem springs. I installed fork preload adjusters and that helped a great deal. The Ricor's also add .5 inch of fork compression and combined that barely gets my sag where it should be.

As for fork dive, I don't stop very fast unless I have too, but I have noticed that the bike dives less with the Ricor's installed.

Another difference I noticed is that without the Ricor's my bike would rock front to back depending on the road conditions, but now it seems like it just stays level with the road. I suppose that's a product of Ricor's rebound damping circuit.

I suggest you read this starting where he says "So, here’s what I figured out so far" : http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-their-ricor-intiminators-to-work-better.html

I don't know what bike you ride or the problems you are having, but all I can tell you for sure is that theses devices have cured a number of ills for me. I was hoping that they would make every road velvety smooth, well they don't, but they certainly help towards that end. The Gold Valve Cartridge Emulators are another option that has gotten good review. Some people seem to prefer one or the other, but there doesn't seem any consensus that either one is the best, it depends on the person and the bike.

Just to be clear, these improvement came about after I drilled the rods. Before that, the effect the Ricor's had were barely discernible. I thought I had wasted my money for maybe 5% improvement and then only on smaller bumps.

Sorry I couldn't answer your questions.
  15. JohnCW

JohnCW Long timer

Oddometer:
    No problem Steve. They were actually rhetorical questions. Not to bag or promote any product, just to hopefully inform potential buyers.

What I was drawing attention to is a point you made in a post, there is basically no difference in principal between a Ricor Intiminator and a Race Tech Cartridge Emulator. The only difference is the mechanism they use to control compression damping. One uses a shim stack, the other a flat valve and spring. The big difference is Ricor market the identical product to the Emulator as a 'fix it all, just drop in solution'. Race Tech market their product as requiring a full strip down, correct springs, set rebound etc. Products do basically identical things, work the same way, so what gives?

You could install a Race Tech cartridge emulator exactly the same way Ricor advertise their product as a simple drop in solution, and get a near identical result. Just drop it into the fork, stick in 5W fork oil, stick the stock springs back, set the sag, and then adjust the emulator to give a decent compression damping. It will perform equally well to the Ricor product. Alternatively, you can install the Ricor product the same way as a Race Tech emulator, the full treatment and I've no doubt it will perform equally well.

It's the marking approach between the two companies I'm highlighting, so people are hopefully a bit more informed. If there is a real difference that I think potential buyers should consider it is the importance of correct rebound damping. As you must use a light fork oil in the Intiminator, adjustment of the very important rebound damping has to be done by physically altering the damper rod (as per the linked article). As a Race Tech emulator can work equally well with any fork oil weight, rebound is relatively easy to adjust by the simpler method of altering fork oil weight.
  16. steven0100

steven0100 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good point, I'm glad you brought it up. Initially I was going to go with the Race Tech, but for whatever reason I went with Ricor. I guess I bought into the idea that I could just drop it in and that was the end of the story, but it didn't turn out that way. I was afraid to take my forks apart and it was expensive to pay someone else to do it, but as I found out, taking forks apart is a piece of cake. (At least mine were)

I think Ricor is a good product, but they should let people know that it isn't always drop it in and go. Like you said... marketing. I have read that the emulators are more adjustable, but it's too late to switch. Regardless, I think I would be happy with either one.
    JohnCW likes this.
  17. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    The latest version for the DL 650 do just drop in and work well (+ oil change). Their first attempt was pretty horrible, I'll concede that. They are adjustable, you can pull them out and change the shims.
    You certainly don't get a smoother ride on good seal, but magic off road and magic under heavy breaking.

I had Gold valves on my first DL, spent $ having them professionally set up as well. They were good, but for me the Intiminators work better.
  18. steven0100

steven0100 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep PeterW, they are ingenious devices, well worth the money, IMO. It seems to me that I must have read your post about that at some time. I have to admit it made an impression on me to the good.

Considering all the complaints I read about damping rod suspension and all the success stories I read about people improving their suspension, I'm rather surprised that the manufacturers don't start using devices like these in their new bikes.

btw, this CTX is the first bike I bought since 1991, so it's been a while. I just didn't see anything that really caught my eye, besides I was still hung up on 4 cylinder motors. I have to admit that bike motors have come a long way in terms of power per cc and smoothness. Mine is an automatic and I really love that, but it's slow as molasses compared to your DL650, but on the plus side, it keeps me out of trouble. :)
  19. MODNROD

MODNROD Pawn of Petty Tyrants

Oddometer:
    How many kms did you have on the CTX before the change?
    Do you think that with a lighter payload (not being rude, but I understand from your previous posts you are heavier than me), the valves, either Race Gold or Intiminators, would work better with stock springs and fork oil or not much difference?
    My poor little CTX cops a bit of corrugated gravel as part of a normal commute, so the valves have been on my radar for a while.
    Thanks for any insight.
  20. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your CTX isn't that much slower than my DL :), my wife also has one and I have to stay on the game if she's leading because it gets off the line very quickly. If you are prepared to hang off it like a sidecar it'll surprise sportsbikes in the twisties as well ;)

I can't comment on the CTX and I suspect they aren't as well sorted there, but they turned my DL into an absolute weapon on corrugated dirt roads. For the previous poster, if you do it and it also works, post again because my wife's CTX could also do with better suspension.