Ricor Intiminators

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steven0100, Oct 3, 2016.

1. steven0100

steven0100 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had over 22530 kms on it when I did the upgrade. As for which would work better I can't answer that, but I kept the stock springs and just used preload adjusters and they seem to work fine. As for fork oil, again I can't say because I just did it and I used Spectro. It surely wouldn't hurt to use Amsoil like they recommend. From what I read, Spectro and Amsoil were fairly similar except the Spectro is a blend. I did notice that there was a bit of gunk building up in the bottom of the forks so I plan on changing the oil about every 16k klm's. It's not that hard to do if you have a place to do it and the tools. I do recommend an air impact gun for removing the bolts holding the damping rods in... but not for putting them back in.
  2. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    FWIW, & for the best results, use fresh lightweight (5w or less) fork oil of choice for a flush - really do the work and get as much as possible of the old-fill out before refilling with the new Amsoil 5w. IMO there is simply no viable short cut for doing that if one expects optimal performance.
    steven0100 likes this.
  3. steven0100

steven0100 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I watched one fork rebuild on youtube and what came out of that fork was unbelievable. If I didn't know better it looked like chunks. :)
  4. SpudBob

SpudBob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We used to call it Whale Snot. Hondas were notorious for coming from the factory with a viscous formula that when you first changed your fork oil looked like whale snot.
  5. joewalsh

joewalsh mxrider

Oddometer:
    I've heard great things about the Ricor Intimidators and I ordered them for my wife's 2009 BMW F650GS. Unfortunately, this is where the good news ends.

I received an order confirmation in early May 2019 and then never received my order. I sent emails, left voicemails and never received a return message. I gave the seller the benefit of the doubt as maybe he had an illness and/or was on vacation. I disputed the charge through PayPal in June. PayPay then tried to contact seller and never heard anything back either. My money was refunded thanks to PayPal purchase protection and credit card protection. However, I wonder if Ricor in business anymore.

Super disappointing level of service at a minimum and a good reason to never consider another order from Ricor. Buyer beware.

For clarity, here is the website I used to order: https://store.ricorshocks.com/
  6. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    call them....
  7. theDoktor

theDoktor Husky Racer

Oddometer:
    Peter, I'm curious how your Intiminator valve stack is configured. My K7 DL650 with the full Intiminator set-up (installed about a full riding season ago) in the forks and an Elka that works well on the back, has terrible head shake on corrugated dirt roads when it hits 45 mpg (with my hands barely touching the bars) and definitely has too much high & low speed compression damping on pavement. Preload is right at 30mm; springs are .90 Sonics. Could have gone down to .85 Sonics. Ride is fine on smooth pavement where nothing has to work hard...
    Thoughts, recommendations?
  8. HapHazard

HapHazard Waiting for Gudenov

Oddometer:
    I'm having a similar experience with them. A month ago I ordered a set of Intiminators and Amsoil for my Sportster, received the order confirmation email with no delivery date, then nothing.
    The customer support login on the website didn't work, there was no reply to my email, I had to leave voice mail, as there was no answer at any option offered by the answering system.
    No call back yet.

Your experience isn't giving me much hope.
  9. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Standard setup from the later sets (And I'm sorry, I can't remember the exact numbers ( the shims were all identical and 0.60 comes to mind for the total) this after they'd been sorted out for DL 650's. The important point is not drilling the dampers on a DL650 AND 2.5Wt oil.

5 is passable on seal and would be O.K. on a track bike but there's a bit much damping for offroad. 2.5 was definitely the go to for off road and worked so well that on some of the heavily washboarded roads around here I could just ride around at speed while the KTM's & BMW's I was riding with just skittered off the outsides of the corners.
  10. theDoktor

theDoktor Husky Racer

Oddometer:

Going thru my build notes, I have a shim stack of (5) shims @0.012" ea. =0.060". Damper rod mods include: welding closed the 2.4mm (rebound?) hole & replacing it with a 1.5 mm hole; drilling out the (2) 0.272" (7mm) (compression?) holes to 0.375" (9.5mm). Currently using 2.5 wt. Silokene RSF at 150mm from top of fork with Intiminators installed & no springs. My order of 5wt. Amsoil was literally just delivered. Hopefully I'll be able to change it out this weekend. Haven't touched the bleed holes in the Intiminators yet- still trying to figure out how to disassemble them without damage.
  11. HapHazard

Oddometer:
    Over 5 weeks after ordering through Ricor's store, and there's no sign of my Intiminators (or reply from multiple inquiries by email and phone messages).

Searching online for somewhere else to order Intiminators, and actually have them delivered in a timely manner,
    I found:

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/imp...ator-fork-valves-for-harley-dk-ric-int-39.htm

They responded quickly (within minutes) to my email about availability (and they do have them in stock).

So, I attempted to cancel my unfulfilled order with Ricor, I did get the Account page to open, and it claims that the status is "Processing",and the page won't let me cancel:

"NOTE: This order has already shipped or has reached the final stages of processing. Therefore this order is no longer editable"

I'd seen this same "Note" over a week earlier, and it gave me some hope then, but damn little now. I left another voicemail message with them, which I'm sure, will go unanswered. So I'm stuck waiting for them to get off their butts and send me my order (if I ever even do get it), even though I could get them delivered immediately from DK.

So, do not bother ordering Intiminators from Ricor - their CS is BS, and you will be waiting a loooong time.:dirtdog
  12. SoccerNerd

SoccerNerd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same experience here. I ordered May 21, so it's been 10 weeks. Same experience with unanswered voice messages and emails. Same note on my order form about "processing" and "not editable." I gave them a 24 hour ultimatum and no response. Fortunately, it looks like they didn't debit my Visa but now I just want to cancel the order and go with RaceTech but can't. VISA says if they ever debit Visa will reverse the charge but I'm hoping it doesn't lead to a drawn-out bureaucratic process.

Avoid this company until they sort their s**t out.
    HapHazard likes this.
  13. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Interesting... I recently bought a VStrom and was considering these. I think I'll pass for now.
  14. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    I've been considering adding the Intiminators for several years, but have hesitated due to reading other people's experiences dealing with the company (e.g., being sent the wrong parts, shipping delays, poor communication, etc.). I wish there were a comparable unit at around the same price point.
  15. Khantahr

Khantahr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought and installed a set about 1.5 years ago and had no issues. Shipping was prompt, and I even called them with an install question
    Nobody answered and I didn't leave a message, but then they called me back within a minute or two and answered my question. Great experience for me, sounds like maybe they've had a change for the worse since then.
  16. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    There are other options now, YSS and Racetech and maybe others sell emulators so if customer service is lacking try another company.
  17. harley90

harley90 n00b

Oddometer:
    I had a set on my KLR 650 I had, major difference. Would recommend, big help on that bike, not sure about others but for the cost its a must add I think.
  18. HapHazard

Oddometer:
    Still no progress (or communication) on my order with Ricor.

For the KLR, there's 2 vendors on Ebay that list them:
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=ricor+intiminators&_sacat=0
    Anyone who wants to buy Intiminators for their KLR would be wise to order from either of them, NOT Ricor.
  19. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
  20. HapHazard

Oddometer:
    Well, I got exciting news this Monday, September 9th - a a day short of a mere 3 months since I placed my order.
    An email from Ricor: "Your order has shipped".

Huzzah! I thought this day would never come!

And it hasn't.:dirtdog

UPS tracking has said "Shipment ready for UPS" for this entire week.:baldy

It hasn't gone anywhere.

As Don Imus used to say, "They just can't suck enough".

The.worst.customer.service.ever.