1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Ridaho GRIT 3 planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by BokaRoka, Jan 7, 2020.

1. BokaRoka

BokaRoka It always seems like a good idea

Oddometer:
    Sooo, a few friends and I have decided we want to tackle Ridaho GRIT 3 in 2020. Been reading through several ride reports of guys that have successfully ran the loop, all of us have run the KAT (Kentucky Adventure Tour) on the east-side of the US once or twice and thoroughly enjoyed it. I would say on average our group is at a mid-B rider level so hopefully we survive. A couple of questions:

- What time of the year should we be planning on doing this so that it's not too hot we suffer from heat-stroke but avoid the snow as well at elevation? I'm thinking June - August time-frame. We plan to camp out-side but also don't mind hotel/motel accommodations
    - Max gas says its 125 mi for the GRIT 3 loop. I presume that is referring to dual sport style miles and not say single track, 2 of us are on Beta's that currently have 2 gallon tanks, we will be upgrading to the 3 or 4 gal aftermarket tank before the trip to ensure we can make 100+ mi sections.
    - Is there decent cell reception throughout the loop? I plan to use my Iphone as a GPS with the GPX routes on Motion X.
    - We will be making the trec from Michigan to get out there, yes it's a hell of a long ways away. Where would be a allowable place for us to leave our vehicles while we run the loop? Also, does anyone recommend running the loop in a certain direction?

Anything else we should know from a planning standpoint?
  2. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    From what I've read, waiting until August is usually the way to go so the locals with chainsaws have cleared much of the downed timber. Some rider groups are even carrying one chainsaw for the group. Grit 3 has the highest percentage of single track of all the GRIT rides iirc so I wouldn't assume mileage you get on dual sport rides would be comparable. Cell reception??? Probably mostly non existent but the gps in your cell phone will work just fine without reception if you have the maps and tracks downloaded. Make sure your camping gear is the minimal possible weight and bulk.

I'd recommend asking these questions on the R'idaho facebook page and in the Pacific Northwet regionnal thread for more answers. The Ridaho guys are very helpful
    lanztek likes this.
  3. OrangeYZ

OrangeYZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweet!
    You gon die :D

A: Depends on how winter is.
    2: The loop can be 99% clear of snow, but that 1% could be in a place that ruins your day.
    D: Take into consideration that it's 6 months away and I'm not really paying attention to how winter is going, but end of July is the earliest I would say "Zero percent chance of snow anywhere." Beginning of June there will definitely be snow in a few places. Then the trees...

In the example of 125 total miles between gas stations, 65 of it is trail, 60 of it is road/dirt road

Uh uh. The towns are usually good, but you can easily go all day and not get any.

At most motels "I'd like a room for tonight and again in 5 days, can I park my truck here in the mean time?" will get a yes.

Counterclockwise. The directions are written that way, there's no great reason to switch it around, and a couple of steep and loose reasons not to switch it around.

Get your big tanks installed way earlier than the day before you leave and go on some rides to make sure everything works.
    Take a lap around a motocross track and make sure your camping gear doesn't fall off.
    Boise, Sawtooth and Salmon are the national forests you might want to get USFS maps of.
  4. BokaRoka

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback! I read through your RR, looks like a hell of a time. Thanks for all the effort documenting it. Are Razor's edge and Cinnabar trails as intimidating as they look all the way through them or just the few hairy sections?
  5. OrangeYZ

OrangeYZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :nod

Razor's edge is pretty much no shit crazy for the 3 or 4 miles of trail on top.
    Cinnabar isn't as death-defying, but it's tough and there aren't many easy spots to coast and catch your breath.
  6. BokaRoka

Oddometer:
    Good to know, what did you guys do for lunch? Trail side snack you carried with you throughout the day or town lunch stop?
  7. Sootgrinder

Sootgrinder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will be watching this thread. I'm wanting to do this ride in summer 2021 if i can talk a friend or two into going along. I hope you do a ride report, or at least follow up in this thread with tips and lessons learned about this particular route. Thanks, Soot.