1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Ride 1000 To Watch The 1000

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Humunn, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    The Plan<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    15 guys from the west coast from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on">Washington</st1:State> to <st1:place w:st="on">Southern California</st1:place> descend on Moto Mecca for six days of pure Baja-licious adventure spanning nearly 1,000 miles of off road riding capped with one day of R & R watching the race of all races! :freaky <o:p></o:p>
    The Route<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
    The Players<o:p></o:p>
    From <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Vancouver</st1:place></st1:City>, WA left to right: Mike &#8220;Mad Dog&#8221;, Kyler &#8220;Damn you old guys are cool&#8221;, and <st1:personName w:st="on">Mark</st1:personName> &#8220;Tall Blue Lady&#8221;:<o:p></o:p>
    <st1:personName w:st="on">Mark</st1:personName>, his mistress and the source of his nickname.<o:p></o:p>
    For whatever reason, &#8220;things&#8221; happen to Mike&#8230;<o:p></o:p>
    MadDog and his last trip to Baja. Broken leg.<o:p></o:p>
    And the trip before that. Rumors have circulated as to the reason behind the dramatic and literally overnight change in his hair color. Some say it must have been in the tequila and we&#8217;ll just go with that.:evil <o:p></o:p>
    From <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Scappoose</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">OR</st1:State></st1:place>, Alan the Big Steak Eater:<o:p></o:p>
    The Steak before<o:p></o:p>
    The Steak after<o:p></o:p>
    And that included a baked potato, salad, rolls, soup, two mason jars of iced tea and dessert!:eek1 <o:p></o:p>
    <st1:personName w:st="on">Keith</st1:personName> from <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Oregon</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Ci<st1:personName w:st="on">ty</st1:personName></st1:placeType></st1:place>:<o:p></o:p>
    Dale the &#8220;Hunchback from <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Hillsboro</st1:place></st1:City>&#8221;:<o:p></o:p>
    Cliff from <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Santa Clarita</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">CA</st1:State></st1:place>:<o:p></o:p>
    A retired firefighter and apparently now full time moto model in this pic poolside in Loreto, B.C.:wink: <o:p></o:p>
    Park from <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Bend</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">OR</st1:State></st1:place>:<o:p></o:p>
    I met Park by snookering him into buying a lemon quad. Wait til he finds out what is in store for him in Baja!<o:p></o:p>
    A very cool pic on the playa out Steens way.<o:p></o:p>
    Brad from <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Bend</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">OR</st1:State></st1:place>. An avid off roader and well known ride report writer on ADV.<o:p></o:p>
    From <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Tigard</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">OR</st1:State></st1:place>, Jim and James &#8211; a father/son combo:<o:p></o:p>
    Here&#8217;s Jim after the bear attack&#8230;&#8221;but you should have seen bear&#8221;, he says.<o:p></o:p>
    Ace from <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Bend</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">OR</st1:State></st1:place>, an accomplished off road racer and finisher of the 2008 Baja 1000.<o:p></o:p>
    From Williams, CA, <st1:personName w:st="on">Mark</st1:personName> &#8220;no picture yet but will drop it in here&#8221;.

Here's Mark:

[​IMG]
    Don from <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Yamhill</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">OR</st1:State></st1:place> in action:<o:p></o:p>
    And sending some sort of message to someone&#8230;<o:p></o:p>
    And here&#8217;s yours truly, Greg &#8220;The Captain&#8221;, from Central Oregon, with the daughter of Mama in El Rosario in May 2009.<o:p></o:p>
    More to follow&#8230;much, much more!<o:p></o:p>
  2. Baja Ho

Baja Ho Momentum is your friend

Oddometer:
    Central Coast, CA. USA & Cabo San Lucas, Baja Sur
    On board for this one. :lurk
  3. heffe

heffe #$%^&U*&^%$#@

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  4. Racinace

Racinace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to this one.... it will be EPIC!!! :evil
  5. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! great ride :thumb
    :lurk :lurk
  6. Mad Kaw Disease

Mad Kaw Disease Dual Sport Diseased

Oddometer:
    Hopefully SPOT will keep moving this time....:evil
  7. monrcar

monrcar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Noticed you attached handles to some of the riders. Some have none. A great ride in Baja should earn a deserving handle to even the most seasoned rider. Can't wait to see the story in pics on here!

Here is an updated pic of Don "The Dragon". He has ditched the red suit along with the old XR and shifted to Black and Blue on a Yamaha.

[​IMG]
  8. gonefirefighting

gonefirefighting Surrounded by Police

Oddometer:
    Man I wish I could go.....I bet all the spots are filled eh?
  9. Racinace

Racinace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think we are all full at this point.:cry
  10. redpillar

redpillar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am fueled up and right behind you!!! Subscribed :1drink
  11. brad21

brad21 We have a pool... and a pond.

Oddometer:
    Game on.

Although that first picture of "me" is actually StroupDoggyDoo. I did however take that photo!

Here's me: (photo credit=Wachs)

[​IMG]
  12. 2laneblacktop

2laneblacktop Tarmac

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  13. eastcoastzigzag

eastcoastzigzag Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :freaky:clap
  14. Goride

Goride ISR adventurer

Oddometer:
    yammmi.....:clap
  15. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    My bad. I searched through a bunch of BDS RRs to find pics of you. Too many BRPs I guess. At least Jimbo will be along "in spirit".
  16. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Planning and Prepping&#8230;the Prelude to the Adventure!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    The last time I rode Baja was May of 08. A manageable group of six or so I thought until one of the riders broke a couple of major rules: rode alone and off course. :asshat

This error turned into a two day search and rescue effort both of him and then later his bike. With miles to make up from the two days lost, one of the other riders became fatigued as we rode into the night, miscalculated a Y in the trail, and broke his leg on a simple tip over of the bike (see reference to Mad Dog above).<o:p></o:p>
    Now I&#8217;m no noob when it comes to off road adventure riding (and planning for contingencies) but to expend the amount of time and effort pulling a week long Baja trip together and have it end in the &#8220;perfect storm&#8221; of events left a sour taste in my mouth. I reasoned that the riding was every bit as good back home in Oregon and it is right in my back yard and if I was going to get myself in a pickle I&#8217;d rather do it there than in Mexico. I was done with Baja.<o:p></o:p>
    Fast forward seven months.<o:p></o:p>
    I met some new riding buddies later that year. While getting to know them the topic of Baja came up a few times and from our conversations it became clear that riding in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Mexico</st1:place></st1:country-region> was on their moto &#8220;bucket list&#8221;. Best way I could describe Baja to them is that it is a lot like the riding in <st1:place w:st="on">Central Oregon</st1:place>&#8230;but on steroids. Plus for some reason the food and tequila just seems to taste better down there. &#8220;We&#8217;d love to go but for our first time not without someone who&#8217;s been down there before&#8221;.<o:p></o:p>
    The seed was planted.:evil <o:p></o:p>
    Two months pass and it is now December. I&#8217;d been thinking about it now for a couple months and even sprang the idea on my wife who knows that once I begin planning a trip it is pret<st1:personName w:st="on">ty</st1:personName> much ass and elbows until it is over. I get the kitchen pass and on the day after <st1:personName w:st="on">Chris</st1:personName>tmas throw out the invite to a dozen or so riders that had expressed interest and that I believed could handle 7 days in the saddle.<o:p></o:p>
    The first email concept.<o:p></o:p>
    Within a couple weeks we had a twelve guys committed.:clap <o:p></o:p>
    Let the planning begin.<o:p></o:p>
    Early in the morning and on weekends I spent hours on hours pouring over these.<o:p></o:p>
    And lurking here.<o:p></o:p>
    To formulate the actual itinerary.<o:p></o:p>
    And all important route.<o:p></o:p>
    At the same time corresponding with all the compadres about how to prep, what to bring, what not to bring, and so on&#8230;<o:p></o:p>
    Up next&#8230;MOTO PREP AND PACKING THE ESSENTIALS.<o:p></o:p>
  17. gtlawren

gtlawren old-school nut case

Oddometer:
    Here's to mucho fun on your ride :clap
    Sounds like you have a great group of inmates to make it a real adventure.

I would sign up in a heartbeat if you have enough left after this one to do it again.
    :jose :jose :jose
  18. OldCoot

OldCoot Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been addicted to Alaska trips... I'm ready for something a littel warmer...

:ear
  19. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Hey Gordon...absolutely...I've got some other interesting ideas bouncing around my head...like maybe an off-road trip from Oregon to Vegas next year. Can you visualize a dozen dirty off road bikes rolling down the strip? Priceless! :lol3
  20. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Well hang on...I'll see what we can do!