Ride Advice

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Roadster, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Roadster

Roadster n00b

Oddometer:
    I will be riding from Chicago to Stewart,BC/Hyder,AK the last week of May. I am thinking of taking Hwy 16 out of Winnipeg. Is that a good choice? Any weather/snow problems in the Rockies at that time . I have 6 days to get there, Any other words of wisdom for that trip?
  2. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been to Prince Rupert by car. There is a lot of rain, it is a really, really long way and not much inbetween. The roads are twisty, hilly and lots of slower sections that seem to go on for a long way after the towns. I really liked Prince Rupert and the inside passage ferry ride, very cool. Where your going is further up the road, at the end of the road. There is a train that goes into Yukon from there, it is from the 1800s or something of that nature. Basically this is nature as God intended it except for the logging etc. If you want to see people and nice scenery Southern BC can be very nice, this area is much more remote but that can be good too. Keep your eyes on the lookout for critters.
  3. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Well. 16 is at least a bit more interesting than HWY 1. It goes through
    all the old prairie farm towns and at least has some variations in landscape.

The last time I went through (a couple of years ago), it difficult to find
    an ATM in some places, so maybe carry a bit of extra cash.

Deeps woods off would be a good idea too, along with a spray bottle of cleaner and some paper towel...the bugs there have a pretty good stronghold!
  4. Owlseye

Owlseye Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Snow and winter-like conditions can happen at any time in the Rockies. Hell, it can snow in pretty much any month here on the Prairies. But May is generally a beautiful spring month in Alberta and that part of central BC. Nice long days, cool evenings. HWY 16 (AKA The Yellowhead) from Edmonton to Hinton is pretty hum-drum, Hinton to McBride is pretty nice, then hum-rum to Prince George, then fun again from PG to the HWY 37 junction. The Cassiar highway is spectacular, and worth it to go its whole length, not just to Stewart. Not many other people, and definitely fewer motorhomes, etc. You could return on the Alaska Highway, and get your fill of them.
    You'll likely see sots of wildlife. Bugs won't be as bad as later in the season, but even then I don't recall the bugs too bad through there anyway. As for rain. well Prince Rupert is part of a rain forest I think, so one would expect a bit of a drizzle. Seems to me that the Cassiar is at least one mountain range east, so not quite so wet.