Ride around Ireland 2000

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by prielo, Feb 16, 2005.

1. prielo

prielo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's a report from a trip to Ireland I did some years ago. Hope you enjoy:

Team working, Andrea, Martin an me put down our Ireland trip in a short diary. Every Evening we sat down at pint of Guinness (or two or three or...) and wrote down the day's experiances. Due to his tendency towards strange formulations, Andrea an me didn't allow Martin to write, although the wordings came from all of us. He still suffers from that.

Sunday June 4, 2000
    9.30 AM: Departure in Königsstein. Peter wished us heart-breaking nice holidays and ordered us to return healthy. At least ten other people excessively envied us. The first suggestions of rain were driven out due to our well targeted usage of weather proof clothings. Belgium is famous for three things: chocolates, french fries and probably the most boring motorways in the world. Magically attracted by unrestrained ethusiasm for technics an toys-for-boys, ther was only one way to cross the Channel: By Hovercraft.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In no time we were on English ground. And Martin was facing problems. The Queen's servants were not willing to let the BMW rider enter. (BMW overtook Rover a few months ago. Did this have to do something with it?) Finally, he showed his papers an we were allowed to set foot onto the island. Just to face the next problem.

[​IMG]

Riding on the left side of the steet. How would it work? The Queen didn't stop to obstruct our journey. And she had a mighty ally: The M25. A wall of concrete an iron - impossible to overcome, cruel and overcrowded with cars. It took us hours to get rid of it. At 10.00 PM, after 13.5 hrs in the saddle, slowly the desire passed and we started to search for our first accomodation on British soil. We finally found one. But wat was next to a good-night-beer was "No. 1 in Germany" - Clausthaler (alcohol free :puke1 ). Distance: 850 km (530 mls) plus Hovercraft.
    Monday June 5, 2000

Many obstacles hat to be overcomme before we could hit the road again. An insidious shower had to be outwitted and something edible, that could be defined as breakfast, had to be found. We reasonablly succeeded. Jerkily we decided to leave this country as fast as possible. On our escape trough south Wales we accidentely withheld two times 4.29 GBP from the Queen's bridge attendant. By means of our magic rain gear we succeeded to prevent rain again. Habitually collected folders drove the tech freaks among us to change escape plans. We decided to take a speed ferry to Irland!

[​IMG]

Against our expectations our departure was not prevented by the Queen's men. As indicated by the prefix speed, the ferry took us from island to island in no time. The geen isle welcomed us with sunshine. And landscape. A lot of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At 8 PM we entered Kilkenny with a smile in our faces and took rooms over a pub opposed to Saint Francis Abbey Brewery. Kilkenny is very poor. There is no food anywhere so people have to drink beer. Many pubs, hardly any restaurants.

[​IMG]

At 11 PM we reached satuation an coud turn toward our beers. Distance: 470 km (290 mls) + ferry.
    Tuesday June 6, 2000

At 9.30 AM we were on the road again. Kilkenny welcomed with open arms, traffic jam an tight alley ways. When they weren't tight enbough, we evaded to the sidewalks. We dicovered St. Mary's Cathedral. It was very beautiful, but on account of not being mentioned in our guide book, probably not worth looking at. We refrained from visiting Kilkenny Castle for the horrifying expensive entrance fee. In addition, we would have had to wait half an hour, and we wanted to ride on.

[​IMG]The

[​IMG]

next dissappointment waitet for us at the Dunmore Caves. Or better: not at the Dunmore Caves. cause they either didn't agge with our maps or were not present at visiting hours. Studying the natives we decided not to react on sudden rain falls. As fast as it started to rain it was over in a minute. On our way to the Rock of Cashel we recognized a special Irish preference: High speed overtaking. Especially in unclear curves. Nevertheless, we reached out destination unharmed. After a longer argument, we decided to park the bikes in the official (charged) parking area for a fee of 1.00 IEP, payable on departure. We visited the "old box", that while well maintained was somewhat broken. Same applies to the abbey.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When we bekame hungry, we startet to stroll through the town untill our eyes were drawn to a coffee shop. "There are people up there, eating!" was hardly spoken and we were on our way across the street. We watched wrongly for traffic trice and almost got killed. Left hand traffic is not us! Strengthened and satisfied we got ready to to leave the parking lot. But what was that? Within only the hours the paking fees were raised by 50 percent. What an inflation! Using our Kilkenny experiences we decided to use the sidewalk and got away unrecognized. Photo shooting at Cahir Castle. Then going on towards Cork. This was where we almost died a second time this day. We saw an. A nice Irishman draw our attention to us beeuing within the opposite traffic, just in time to avoid an oncoming bus by jumping towards the crossing. This and a several road works made us to dislike the city, so we decided to go on to Blarney.

[​IMG]

There we moved into a dolls house and for the first time, we didn't have any problems in finding something to eat. Distance: 260 km (160 mls).
    Wednesday June 7, 2000

After a tasty breakfast we left the dolls house and startet our journey to Blarney Castle (150m/500ft). When we approached the building, we discovered us being under equipped. Our torches were too weak, so we couldn't visit the castle's caves and dungeons. Being in the castle itself we had to see that America had decided to bring her culture an tourists to this place. Latter were a bit annoying due to their large number. We refrained from Kissing the Blarney Stone for hygenic reasons. And for the lot of american tourists that were queing in front of us.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We left Blarne and rode through a lot of landscape towards the west coast, towards Bantry.

[​IMG]

The lord of Bantry were so poor. We didn't hesitate to donate 6.00 IEP for them to allow Andrea using their restrooms.

[​IMG]

This good deed did not remain unpunished. We hardly left Bantrey, as a supple rain started. According to our experiance it would hav to stop any minute. Because you live and lern, we learned something new. We went into a water proof condition and decided to shorten this day's ride a lot. With our new battle cry "Drive left!" we carried on. Some lambs that were about to jump onto the road just in front of us were almost frightened to death. Totally soaked we reached Kenmare. Distance: 170 km (110 mls)

Thursday June 8, 2000

After an extensive breakfast we were on or way to theRing of Kerry. And once again whole objects of interest had been disappeared.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At an insignifficant fuel stop, Patrick impressingly demonstrated how to correctly refill oil at a TDM. Take plenty and generously pour it over the oil filler neck(?). Make sure not only the fairing but also the hot engine parts get sufficiantly covered. Pour the remaining 1.5 liters confidently to the soil. Done. We extended the Ring of Kerry a bit and took lunch at the "Old Bridge Restaurant" opposed to Valencia Island.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The morning had been somewhat cloudy, but the sky cleared after lunch. high spirited we continued on our way, viisitaed an ancient stone fort and reached - after a crossing water - another "old box". Glad, it was low tide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because of the fine weather we decided to ride a bit further to find a nice accomodation. This was found in Ballybunnion. It's got a nice beach view. We hoped like hell we would get healthy to our bikes the next morning, because of the hotel's entrance beeing next to the road (no sidewalk). With all those cars driving at the wrong side of the road. Distance: 240 km (150 mls)

Friday June 9, 2000

After a good start from Ballybunnion, the first highlight of the day was crossing the Shannon by Ferry. Although just having departed, he ferry's captain was so kind to come back to take us on board. There were other teutonic motocyclists on the ferry, but they preferred to stay away from us. So we let them go their own ways.

[​IMG]

We followed the coast road to the Cliffs of Moher. At least to the point we presumed them to be. We were suprised when we found them exactly there: right below O'Brian's Tower.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Against our expectations when leaving the parking lot we weren't charged any parking fee, so Andrea had much fun the next 16 km (10 mls) trying not to loose the three Pound she was holding in her hand. They were good use at our tasty lunch a little way away from the main road.

[​IMG]

This was were fe saw our first nativ motocyclist. He had a '72 Honda CX 500 (in Germany lovingly called "Güllepumpe" => means something like "liquid manure pump"). Daily used, by the view of it. Wow! He greeted us and disappeared towars his Guinness.

[​IMG]

It took us to the Burren. Biking on the Moon can't be much different.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A must-see: the Aillwee Caves. Again we found the searched object of interest in one go. During the half houre walk Martin learned to walk humility when hearing the words "Mind your head!" We decided to strech our way through the Burren and kept towards Galway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was the first disappointment of this day. In future we should avoid larger cities. Tired and exhausted we found a room in a lonely hotel west of Galway. Distance: 270 km (170 mls)

More to follow another time. It needs some time to translate...

Have fun!

Patrick
  2. RiotPat

RiotPat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely beautiful pics! Thanks for sharing. Damn, Ireland seems like a beautiful country. I have to take my friend up on his offer to visit sometime.
  3. GS Spirit

GS Spirit Downsizing

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics. That's what I love about ADV rider I sit down with my cup of coffee every day and send my mind exploring before I even get the sleep out of my eyes. The land of my fathers. Now all I need is Norway pics land of my mothers and I will be complete.
  4. prielo

prielo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saturday June 10, 2000

Wen we left or lodging, it started to rain. Due to the pouring rain, while we drove through Connemara, we only could suspect it's beauty. The fact, that all signposts were written in galic language, didn't not raise our minds. Soaked wet we reached Cliffton - a nice small town with at least one fantastic coffe shop - where we warmed up at hot soup, hot tea and hot apple pie. In the meanwhile it stopped raining. We decided to dry our clother by riding. At Kylemore Abbey we did a short stop.

[​IMG]

But we did not enter it, due to the thought that the entrance fee of 3,30 IEP p.p. would better be invested in an additioanl Guinness. on our way we tried to shoot some sheep (only by camera, promise!!), bet they only showed us their backside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just as we were stowing away the cameras rain came upon us a second time. It stayed with us until we reached Crough Patrick. The mountain was hidden by rainy fog so we shifted the planned climb-up unto our next visit to Ireland. Glad, wet and frozen we reached Westport. The first host weasked seemed to have something against wet motocyclists. He sent us to another B&B, where we stayed. Hungryly we stumbled into a nearby pub and closed the evening with two Guiness and a Heinicken. Distance: 210 km (131 mls).
    Sunday June 11, 2000
    At breakfast our host covered us with good advises, which he had to withdraaw one by one regarding the weather. Rain and sheep flooded the streets.

[​IMG]

We visited Leidre Area Center. Just as we parked our bikes, it stopped raining. We left helmets and gloves at the bikes to let them dry. When decided tro leave, we recognized that it was raining cats and dogs. So we decided to take the multi media tour instead. We didn't understand so much, but the celtic music was fun to hear. On our trip we caught the sight of Downpatrick's Head, but couldn't reach it in the rain. The journey to Slige was low of incidents an d rich of rain. Sligo itself wasn't the kind of place we wanted to stay at. So we went on to Mullaghhmore, where we found a lodging with sea view. Distance: 250 km (160 mls)

Monday Jun 12, 2000

Since the start of our journey we avoided the "original Irish breakfast" Today, it hit us with it's full power: black & white pudding, sausages, bacon & eggs, baked tomatoes and potatoes in Irish ammounts. Patrick had lot of laughs on him, as he dicovered that the scottoiler oilcan undid in his panniers. With help of lots of kleenex and plastic bags he finally got to master the situation. The peninsula north of Sligo welcomed us with its full beauty and gaelic-only signposts. They confused us extremely and made us use many timeextensive but extremely beautiful detours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The crossing of Glenveagh National Park was characterized by bad roads, short and hard bumps, lots of wind and beautiful landscape.

[​IMG]

For the first time this journey we had problems to find an accomodation. After passing through Letterkenny B&B signs became rare. Especially those that fit within or requirements: room with shower, next to a pub that offers meals. After a lot of searching we found one at Buncrana. Distance 250 km (170 mls)

More to come...

Have fun!

Patrick
  5. RogueMonkey

RogueMonkey compensating hose clamp

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap Love the pictures. Me wants more !!!

P.S. I have a '80 CX500 C. It's a hoot to ride :D
  6. GSPeP

GSPeP Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report and pictures :thumb :thumb
  7. ronend1

ronend1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us to a beautiful trip. Irland is great on a bike if you manage to avoid the rain :thumb
  8. runnamucca

runnamucca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you. :thumb
  9. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    Schweet! makes me wana go there now!!!
  10. Hippiessuck

Hippiessuck Banned

Oddometer:
    nice stuff...

It's great to see a ride report like this. Especially since it doesn't have pictures of some old slob flippin' the camera off.
    Your report is something we could use more of.

:thumb
    [​IMG]
  11. Coolhand

Coolhand Puck slapping maplesucker

Oddometer:
    Thats a 78 cx500 - round break res, single front disc. I have a 79. They are also known as the plastic maggot lol. i also spent a summer in ireland (99), albeit not with a motorcycle. I was going to rent one but figured ide just kill myself driving on the otherside of the road (i was living in downtown dublin and the traffic was scary). i did all the toursit things, and non tourist things, its an amaizing place. ide like to go back and spend another summer there, maby rent a bike this time outside of dublin.

great pics.
  12. prielo

prielo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Final part:

Tuesday Jun 13, 2000

After breakfast we prepared to cross the border to North Ireland. Put our papers on top in our tank bags to have them ready at the border checkpoint. Well, we didn't find the borderline. Suddenly we happened to be in North Ireland. Just like that. No Queen's servants asking for Martin's papers. We were a bit disappointed. But quality of the roads did improve. First stop was Old Bushmills Destillery. Of course, we took a tour and Andrea got happy by three free Whiskeys. The boys only were allowed to taste a drip...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We continued our trip in a happy mood (no, Andrea didn't sing the whole way long) heading towards Giant's Causeway. Giant's Causeway - big name for some small stones. And a lot of tourists.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On our way to Carrick-a-Rede, Martin's Beemer learned to fly with a little help from some bumps in the road. Andrea was not amused. We rerached Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge after a not-so-short walk. Andrea refused to walk the last few meters (over the bridge) so the boys could have fun on their own.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the Queen's kingdom we were charged a fee at every single parking lot. So we decided to leave her country as soon as possible. Our force march was interrupted at a restaurant with golden arches only. Back on republican irish soil, we took the scenic road alongside the Irish Sea coast. The Irish Sea presented itself at bright sunshine (just like the whole day). Alongside the road we found an accomodation in another dolls house with connection to the family (the dog's name was Fred). Dinner was fine at the local Harbour Bar. Distance: 330 km (210 mls)
    Wednesday June 14, 2000

Our host insisted in us visiting Newgrange. Newer heard of it before, but is was a number one tip! Going to Irland without seeing Newgrange, she said, would be like going to Egypt without seeing pyramids. And she was right. Only thing I can tell you about Newgrange: Go there, have a look! Older than the pyramids but much better air inside. At Newgrange Visitor Center we bokked our accomodation in Dublin. And after lunch we were off to get there. Mary was waiting for us. At a cup of tea she recommended a visit of Howth peninsula. We went by feet. First time in this trip, our feet were hurting. Distance: 80 km (50 mls) plus walk

Thursday June 15, 2000

After Mary presented a tasty breakfast, we took the D.A.R.T. to downtown Dublin. Without a plan, we walked across the city. Finally, we decided to split: Andrea wanted to visit the library and the boys had a close look at the Giunness brewery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both parties were convince of having reached the cultural top of this journey. We took lunch at the Temple Bar and got disappointed for the first time this day: No Guinness here! Then we took a walk through the northern part of the city. When our feet started to hurt again, we took a sight seeing tour by bus. We heard irish folk songs and learned that Irishmen are drinking so fast because Guisses is brewing so much beer. We closed the evening with a - of course! - Guinness an took the train back to Mary's place.

[​IMG]

Friday Jun 16, 2000
    We had to get up before we were awake to get the speed ferry to Hollyhead.

[​IMG]

Remember the oil spilled panniers? Ferry tickets were inside it at that time. The oil soaked tickets were looked at in a distrustfull way, but not beeing touched.

[​IMG]

Our trip through England was easy and faster than we had presumed. Too early we reached Hollehead. After spending some time at the local mall and getting noticed due to oily tickets at the check in, we left the Queen's land. On board of the ferry to Rotterdam we closed the evening with a final Guinness. Distance: 420 km (260 mls) plus ferry.
    Saturday Jun 17, 2000

The ferry arrived too early! Althoug we paid a lot of money for our breakfast, we only had time for a quick coffee. Then we had to get to our bikes. Dutch traffic allmost demandet a victim on account of us now beeing used to reide on the left side of the road. Apart from that, there were no further incidents an we got to Berlin healthy.

[​IMG]

Hope, you enjoyed this report. If you want to see more pics, feel free to visit my website http://www.rielo.de Text is in German but pics are international.

Have fun!

Patrick
  13. Vance

Vance On my meds...

Oddometer:
    Way cool man! You are like...older now and stuff huh?[​IMG]
  14. raindog

raindog dharma bum

Oddometer:
    great report! That last pic on the first post is just awesome..it must be the bird..but i can't stop looking at it. Very cool. thanx for sharing :thumb