Ride comparisons (request) for Super Tenure, Honda AT and BMW R1200gs

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mikeodial, Jan 3, 2020.

1. SPX

SPX Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Having owned two S10’s and now a GS, there’s no comparison. If freeway travel is a factor for you, the GS will blow away the S10 in comfort and will do the same on/off road when it comes to handling.
  2. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I test rode an '18 R1200GS before buying my current Super Tenere and preferred the Yamaha. The footpegs are more forward so the riding position is more relaxed and like a dual purpose bike. The Yamaha engine feels also feels like a v-twin and once flashed it pulls harder than the BMW till about 6,000 rpm.
  3. Bullseye45

Bullseye45 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great thread. Pretty much exactly where I am at. Have a big 800lb cruiser for going 2-up with the wife and a dedicated dirt bike (CR250R), so looking to add something that is in the middle that can do long comfortable distance on back-roads but still do light off-road, fire roads, but not more that that. While I would like to say that would be the limit of off-road, sometimes you can't trust your buddies when they say "this is an easy trail, you'll be fine", so it would be nice to have that assurance you COULD get out of things if you needed. Still, that is a real outlier. Have all these on my list with a few of the mid-weights, but if I really try to focus, I'd have to look more for road/dirt road use and only more than that if I make a wrong-turn or straight out lied to by my buddies. I really hate highways, even on my cruiser, so I try to stay on 2 lane state routes or backroads as much as possible, which are much more appealing to the eye and sense as well. Highest contenders are the T10, T7(if ever shows) and ATAS. I prefer used so it has all the patina already there and I can skip that phase of the honeymoon.