Ride For Research - Wabeno, WI

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by little john, Apr 18, 2011.

1. little john

little john Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well being the Leaf River dates are been and gone ( sorry to hear the weather didnt work out, hope you can make it happen in the fall). I suppose I should post something about the next DS ride on the list in greater district 16 area.
    The WI Dual Sport Riders will be hosting the 6th annual ( think 6th) Ride for Research in Wonderful Wabeno WI ON JUNE 11&12. you can sign up and get info about the ride at www.widualsportriders.org or e-mail me at bigwoods200@hotmail.com .
    We are looking forward to having the Roopra lab back to explaining what they have been able to discover in the past year and meet the Matt ( Doogey Houser) replacement, and yes she is better looking and I think has bigger hands than he did!. ( just as an FYI Matt had oddly small hands :lol3) . We are also hopefull that another researcher from the UW CCC that is working on colon cancer will be able to come up. He is from the Green Bay area and wants to be part of this if the weekend works out for him.

As you (hopefully) all know this is a charity fund raiser that supports the UW Comprehisive Cancer Center, we are raising funds to help find cures for Breast and Colon cancer and give me a ligitimate reason to yell "SAVE THE BOOBS CURE THE ASSHOLES". Last year we raised just shy of $15,000. we would like to try and do better than that this year. The only way we do better is if more riders go out and ask around for pledges to bring in as donations, or dig deep and give big wads of cash from thier own pockets. If you have never heard of us or our event , possiably even if you have , the question may come up, "well how much of what you raise actually goes to the research?" 100% of what we get goes to the UW CCC, they have an administrative cost that averages 3 to 5% yearly, so one of the best bangs for your buck out there.

Last year we changed things up a bit out on the trail, we added some cool old 2 track that most riders said felt like riding single track. We shortend the main route so riders can have more time on the hero sections and still make it to lunch and back to the park at the end of the day for the pig roast in a reasonable amount of time. We also re-enforced our big bike loop and made it more of a guided tour option to try and get some of the big bike guys that may be a bit hesitant doing this type of riding solo a good group photo hounds to ride with.

I'm sure there will be plenty of others posting into this with all the normal BS. But I would like to be the first to say "I hope to see you in Wabeno soon! LIKE ON JUNE 11&12 lj
  2. Dan888

Dan888 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Already signed up :D Mother nature snookered me out of a nice spring ride in Leaf River, so I'm really looking forward to Wabeno. I've never been, but have heard nothing but good things about it. It doesn't rain in Wabeno does it? :D
    LOL I don't care, I rode the bucky in the rain last fall.
    Can't wait , Dan
  3. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    Nope, no rain. I think "Wabeno" might be a Native American word for "desert".
    (Not really - it means something like "place of the Big Wind". How they new Newton was going to be there hundreds of years later is beyond me.)

[​IMG]
  4. foxfire

foxfire YRUYUR?

Oddometer:
    T-shirts...just sayin'. :deal

Hoping to make it up there this year...
  5. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:

[​IMG]
  6. little john

little john Long timer

Oddometer:
    actually its native american for "Valley of the big wind" not blowhard in the big valley.
  7. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Trivia:

A tornado passed from Antigo area to upper Michigan leveling the forest. Natives named the open area resulting from the tornado "wabeno".

Wabeno also translates to "coming of light" or "rising sun".

Most appropriately wabeno is a title describing a degree of the medicine lodge among Ojibwa and Potawatomi indians. It denotes that they are conjurers and magicians in their practice of medicine. In that sense it means "wise men", "crafty magicians", or "mysterious men".

(I'll go with the wise, crafty, and mysterious.) :lol3
  8. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer

Oddometer:
    Did I get that right?

Useful info for first post for us guys who aren't wise, crafty and mysterious :deal
  9. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Good catch!

R4R EVENT IS JUNE 11-12!

Hey Johnny U.P.O.U.: Go back and edit your post to include the dates!

Sheesh...he must be new at this.
  10. little john

little john Long timer

Oddometer:

how do you do an edit? my work is always spot on first try so I have no idea how to go back and edit.:lol3
  11. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    OK, we'll go with that delusion.

Club members who are planning to attend the work weekends should please let El Presidente Brad know you are coming.

Non-members: If you've been thinking of joining the WIDSR, attending a work weekend is a great, fun way to get acquainted with the club!
    WIS DUAL SPORT RIDERS

1st work weekend: May 13-15
    2nd work weekend: May 20-22
    R4R event weekend: June 11-12
  12. little john

little john Long timer

Oddometer:
    just a reminder this is an AMA sanctioned event and AMA membership is required to participate. there will be AMA registration forms there for those who need to sign up. But please do so ahead of time if you can- its a lot easier for all of us. The AMA says we can offer this event to non members if members are given a discount, what you are seeing is the discount rate. non AMA riders can enter at the cost of the ride entry fee plus $42.00 (the cost of an ama membership and a can of beer for each worker at the pieshack):lol3 thanks littlejohn
  13. tedmarshall

tedmarshall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LJ: My son is running a 2-stroke. How many miles for the route? Just want to figure out fuel stops, etc.
    Ted
  14. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to get back to Wabeno!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    Hope the snow is gone by June!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. little john

little john Long timer

Oddometer:
    it wasnt as of this weekend! some still in ditches, and north side of buildings and hills. The ice went off trump lake on wed and thursday there was still sushy icey crap in the deep puddles in the woods on sunday. it should start warming up now I hung the snow scoop back on the shop door , it has been shitty up there since Sue made me put it away a month ago.:lol3
  17. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  18. weggieman

weggieman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    See y'all in the fall....... AHRMA road racing at Road America the same weekend. Dang conflicting dates !!!!!
    :cry
  19. little john

little john Long timer

Oddometer:

gas is 60 to 70 miles,, or just out of range with a Husky running a stock tank!:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3
  20. ffchick

ffchick FF = firefighter :)

Oddometer:
    :poser I got an IMS tank for my birthday, hopefully I won't have to siphon gas this year :clap