ride from miami _----> dallas--> mexico

Discussion in 'Americas' started by fastblad, Dec 20, 2007.

1. fastblad

fastblad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hey guys, i am ridding from miami to dallas and then maybe to mexico. i have some questions
    1- i bought winter gears, but i was wondering if i should wear my one piece leather suit under it as well as winter cloth.
    2- i bought a gps system and i was not able to get a bracket for it. so i was wondering if i could put the gps in the gas tank bag or would get too hot.
    3- what is the best route to take from miami to dallas.
    4- i have read as many post i could and got all the stuff needed, i am going to sleep in a motel so do i have to make reservation ahead of time.

if you have any advice please post up. i am sorry if i posted in the wrong section i was not sure where i should post.

thanks
    sam
  2. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depending on if you want to slab it or go backroads, Florida is going to be a long way up. Depending on how fast you go, plan for one whole day to get to Pensacola. You can take I-95 to the Turnpike to I-10 West and keep trucking or take US 27 through the center of the State, take a few backroads to Ft Walton Beach etc. If you can pick up a bracket for your GPS on the way somewhere, I'd do it simply because it'll be easier to use. Living down here takes one riding day just to get out .....:puke1
    Have fun on your trip..:clap
  3. fastblad

fastblad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yah you are right, i have driven to up north in my jeep and it took me more then 13 hours to get to Pensacola. i am hopping it is not too cold up north, do you know any place that might have a bracket for gps system
  4. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best way to Dallas is get on up to I-10 however you want to. West on I-10 to Lafayette, La, then north on I-49 to shreveport, LA, then west on I-20 to Dallas.
    That certainly is an out of the way route to Mexico.
  5. Teeds

Teeds Don Quixote

Oddometer:
    It is 12 hours from Pensacola to Dallas, assuming minimal stops.

Check out CycoActive and Touratech-USA. They should be able to hook you up.
  6. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a fantastic ride.

When are you going?

GPS in the tank bag should be fine. What kind of GPS is it? What kind of bike do you have? It might be possible to wire up a GPS mount in just an hour or two.

What do you mean by "best"? To me, riding the interstates from Florida to Texas is the absolute worst way. I can't imagine going on a great motorcycle trip, and getting on an interstate. But that's just me. I'd love to suggest some good roads, but what is it you're looking for? At the very least, I'd stay off I-10 and take US90 along the Gulf Coast... that is if the road is open yet. When I was there after Katrina, many of the bridges were out. I don't know the situation now.

Jamie
  7. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    US 90 is open.
  8. fastblad

fastblad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I just got to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Dallas</st1:City></st1:place>, the ride was amazing. I was the only one on the highway, the lowest temp was 20 F. but I was ready for colder then I thought it would be. I am not sure where to go next, my GPS system is not working as I thought. It is getting really hard without it. It keeps taking me off the highways and local ways. I am going to post on the other forum. I might go to <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Mexico</st1:place></st1:country-region> tomorrow or just go the big bend national park. If anyone has any idea posts up. I will be able to check the computer by tomorrow. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
  9. yabesay

yabesay sheeeooottt

Oddometer:
    any bmw shop will have them for your gps
  10. fastblad

fastblad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    you mean a dealer?? BMW dealer for motorcycle or cars
  11. karmatourer

karmatourer STD free

Oddometer:
    are 2 10 hr days.I stopped in Mobile in both directions.Dallas is a bit further.
    If you're heading down in April,I'm riding from FLL to Merida.